15 years 3ds max veteran switching to Blender!

Is there a way to avoid accidentally moving vertex,edge or face selection when doing multiple selections? In max we have a move tool and a select tool is there something similar in Blender?

“15 years of 3ds max veteran switching to blender”

Bah, quitter!

You mean quitter because i left 3ds max for Blender? English is not my native tongue so maybe i am missing the point!

Regarding flip normal i cannot find a way to make the face selection change color when flipping normal this would be handy since exporting to unity often lead to flip normal and in blender when you flip normal you have no visual cue when you flip them.

Maybe there is a way but so far i found nothing in the 3d view theme color for flip normal.

In the “N” toolbar under display you can set it to show the normal direction of faces, lines, or verts. Not quite the same, but it works.

If you disable “double sided” you can see visually what happens when you recalculate/flip normals.

Hi Jonathan,

Thank for the tip but i was already aware of the display of normal in the N menu but i was trying to see if there was a similar way like in max to save some mouse click.

I rec,

I already try this one and flipping my normal doesn’t yield any visual change, maybe related to the fact i change some display elements in the 3d view.

Thank anyway.

Just encounter a new problem but this one is serious, i was able to undo ctrl+z just fine yesterday in object level but now it doesn’t work anymore! The curious thing is that ctrl+z in edit mode work just fine!

Anyone on this?

OK i check the history and i can see the translate operation and i can undo them via the history but that defeat the purpose of ctrl+z entirely!

I search the forum and there is already another user experiencing the same but got no solution for it so far.

That seem like a real bug to me! Should i report it?

OK false alarm my mistake i must have by mistake accidentally click global undo in user preferences!

But i could swear i never touch that darn button but we never know!

Good stuff coming over to the dark side :wink: I switched form 3D max to blender a few months ago, and it was just a matter of diving in and actually using the program to learn what I needed, I reached a point one day where it clicked and I knew I had every tool I need in one spot to make my next feature film…

if you want to extrude on one axis, press E-key then X- Y- or Z- so, E-X would extrude constrained to the global X axis E-XX would extrude to the local X axis of the face normal… If I’m correct…

Thank nodelete i will try this one later on tonight because at the moment i am looking for a way to have thumbnail image like in 3ds max asset browser since i could open as many reference images and re size them on the fly when i was modeling.

I know how to put image in background view but this process is very limited for me since when i do my model i use multiple reference views of the object as thumbnail and i can also reduce the size of those thumbnails and only call them on demand while i am in the software.

I know someone is currently working on an asset browser but i don’t expect it to become available anytime soon.

I never look at this since max already have all the bell&whistle but maybe there is a way to have the windows image thumbnail showing simultaneously with blender open!

Once my complete workflow is partially restore to a workable state i will ask very few questions.

OK for all people who would like to have a re-sizable floating image preview in your modeling view i found a quick an easy solution that work very well.

Just download that win7 small utility call windows on top it did exactly what i want just google “windows on top” since if i read correctly i cannot insert direct web link in post, not sure on this one.

You simply have to drag the little hand in the small window on the image thumbnail in win 7 toolbar and there you are having almost 3ds max functionality in blender with re-sizable preview.

One happy man working with preview and the beauty you can browse the entire folder of picture with the arrow key and use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out and as a bonus you can also rotate your preview from win7 photo viewer:

Have fun Pierre

An alternative to that I use is just make two splits, change one to an image viewer and the other to a file browser, then if you want to swap images you can just drag and drop from the file browser into the image viewer. :RocknRoll:

Example:

Hi xrg,

Nice tip but can you zoom in and out and move your image anywhere on screen?

Also your area for modeling is restricted a lot with the split just my 2 cents.

My preference go to be able to move my reference anywhere on screen depending which part i detail, to zoom in and out to get precise view of features and at last when i don’t required the image i can easily minimize it and recall it at will.

It is not the perfect solution but it is one that former 3ds max user like me will probably appreciate before they release something perfectly integrated in blender interface.

Here another example where i close the tool panel look at the amount of space i have in the 3d view :

[ATTACH=CONFIG]225598[/ATTACH]

Also with photo viewer you have the ability to rotate your preview and this can come in handy in some situation.

And to prevent having to click the next arrow too often one should consider making a folder containing only picture reference of the object to model.

For even an improved windows management experience, don’t forget you can use the <windows><left>, <right>, <up> and <down> keys to control your windows in win7 and 8.
For even MORE control, download winsplit revolution. Also supports making windows stay on top AND making them semi-transparent. And to top it all, it allows you to create your own windows settings. Essential. Especially on a multi-screen system.

Btw, are you working on a single screen?

edit also: check out the “import images as planes” add-on.

Does import images as planes provide anything over importing an image to an empty? I’ve never really understood what people use that add-on for.

@poly_slave - your method is totally fine. I didn’t know if you were aware you could do it within Blender so figured I’d just mention it. Use whatever suits your needs best of course.