Your experience with Octane for Blender

would it be possible to get that scene in Thea pack. format or Blender? I would like to make some test :slight_smile:

could it be that you used supersampling with Thea?

Yes I used supersampling. With out it I needed to quadruple the samples to have equal GI noise reduction as the supersampling mode. Especially the GI noise on the walls in shadow and the metal ceiling beams. Supersampling also gave nice anti-aliasing without increasing the time for equal GI noise reduction.

PM your email address if your are still interested in testing this Thea scene.

Really interesting thread !
I was using Octane V1 for blender, but i did’nt buy the V2… As Cycles is becoming more and more complete : GPU Volumetrics, SSS etc
But I would say in many cases I prefer the “touch” of octane, the way it renders has something more realistic to me.

Hi eklein,

I send you a PM :wink:

FYI, Jimstar has updated the plugin so now it supports Octane version 2.21.1 and Blender version 2.73.

Thanks a lot for the heads-up!

Marco

Hi everyone,

Has anyone figured out how to bake textures in Octane for Blender ? I have two situations:

A - Baking materials created in Octane into model UVs.

B - Baking details (normals, AO, etc.) into a low poly model.

For option A i managed to get a diffuse texture using a baking camera, but lighting is also being baked into the diffuse, which i don’t want. Tried to find online documentation, tutorials, forum threads, and found nothing on this subject.

I’d highly appreciate some info about this. At least to know if this can be done or not.

Thank you very much.

Nicolas.