Yet another error with rendered motion blur - smoke domain shadows

Hi all,

So I’ve just discovered another problem with rendering with motion blur using cycles. This time I’m having issues with a shadow from the smoke sim domain showing up in my renders…

Notice the corner the arrow is pointing to. If I disable motion blur, it doesn’t render. If I disable rendering of the smoke domain, it’s not there. If I disable shadows on my lgihting, it doesn’t show up.

How might I get around this problem?

I’m thinking maybe move the smoke to a new view layer with lighting that doesn’t cast shadows, then composite back together?

I say yet another issue because I also had an issue with the child of constraint and motion blur here

Thanks for any advice,
Randy

Is the domain intersecting the ground?

If that’s what’s happening, could the smoke domain just not intersect it? If it was placed so it floats just above the ground, maybe the glitch would disappear?

Thanks for the reply.

The smoke domain is huge and the bottom of it is at the ground level. Adaptive smoke domain is enabled and on the frames the error happens, the domain is about 1 meter above the ground.

I’m kinda thinking this is a bug, and would like to look into it more, but at the end of the day, I just worked around it.

I didn’t like the shadows my clouds were casting on the ground. So I moved all volumetric objects to a different view layer with it’s own light that didn’t cast shadows. Then combined the layers in compositor.

Randy

It’s very likely there is a bug. Sadly, Blender’s fluid simulation is pretty much an abandoned part of the software and it never made it to full stability. Adaptive domain tends to cause trouble, especially if combined with noise.

You can use the Vector Blur node to give the motion blur.
If the problem is caused by a bug, try this method