Woman in Snowstorm

wow…the fur looks great on this little guy…I’d like to see your set up if your up for posting it.

Thanks, it has a soft feeling that is all node based. The green set of mix shaders does this primarily. It makes the root of the hair a tiny bit transparent and the tip very transparent, that is what the intercept and colorramp do. The red set of mix shaders does the same thing but using the facing node to make the edges much more transparent. This softens the hair and makes it fluffy more like a santa hat. A true santa hat would have almost 100% transparency at the tips. Right now this is about 70% for the root/tip and 30% for the edges (fresnal)

The hair system itself is pretty standard, the main system is about 2000 parent hairs and 150 interpolated children. I want to use the hair bsdf but they cause massive flireflies for short renders.

here’s the colormap and nodes for the main large system:

slightly larger:

Here’s a wire overlay of the pretty dense retopo. Monkeys/cats/etc… can be tricky as you don’t have a true silhouette to model. You have to guess a lot as to the where the mesh should be.

I really liked the look of the first one, had a very Norman Rockwell feel to her skin, and face. There are tons of different kinds of snow… when it is wet it does move more like that, you just need to very the size some. Maybe use a larger mm lens, and kick the depth of field up some.