windows or Linux?

I’d like to offer what may be a dissenting, or at least a more dull … opinion:

“What works best for you, and why?”

Think about it: “an operating system is like a bicycle.” Unless you’re trying to impress your friends with your imitation of a cycle-racing star … :wink: … you ride the thing strictly to go someplace. And so, your decision should be motivated by what, for you, represents both “the most-expedient for you distance between ‘here’ and ‘there,’” and “the most convenient for you environment for doing whatever else, besides graphics, you might wish to do with this computer.”

And … if you’re not quite sure … “virtual machines” will give you the best of both worlds. So will externally-attached (Firewire or USB-latest …) disk drives, from which your computer can probably be persuaded to boot.

The bottom line is: you have choices. Blender will run in both environments. So will your computer. In fact, your computer can easily run in both environments. And, yes, there is certainly this perspective: “What do you, as the owner of this piece of hardware, wish to do with it?” :slight_smile: The very good news is that you don’t have to make an “either/or” choice. You can, in fact, do both.

If you have not yet “dived in to Linux,” then I certainly would invite you to do so. However, bear in mind that you do not have to throw-away, nor disrupt, whatever operating-system environment you now have in place, in order to do so. You can quite-peaceably and quite-successfully (and … quite efficiently) have: “Windows and Linux.”

I used Linux in the school. Never used it at home.
I only used Knoppix at home.

You can start it from a disc.

I’ve been on windows my whole life, but I’ve been wanting to move over to Linux for a while. In fact, the only thing keeping me is that I’ve been trying to migrate over to using fusion for comp work and it doesn’t support Linux. I’ve heard that it works pretty well with Wine, but even then I’m a bit iffy, I use it professionally and I don’t want to run the risk that I hit some kind of bug when I have a deadline coming up.

Hi, I’m more familiar with Windows 7 rather than Linux. I have been depending on it since I learned about computers. It would be difficult for me to try Linux.

For me, Windows is completely out of contest. You can work on Linux, or Mac. That’s the two systems, which are good for work. Choose any of them, of use both, it doesn’t matter.

I use both. I dual-boot Linux and Windows. Both are important.