Why project Gooseberry matters

thanks a Ton :slight_smile:

Just saw your photo, laughed my brains out :smiley:
For some reason, all computer nerds used to look the same…
Still do, actually, but I’m not gonna upload any photos of myself.

Thanks a lot for this great post Ton!

I share your vision and I am confident that this will be a great step forward for Blender.

We know how you feel about these things. You have made this abundantly clear. I don’t really see why you feel the need to ridicule Ton’s perfectly honest post.

Thanks Ton, that was an interesting post. To my shame I have to admit that I have not signed up yet. I am incredibly short on cash at the moment and was waiting for the pledge option. Now that it is there, I will use it!

I wait to receive me fee next week for a job done all inside blender, so I’ll with you.

TBH, I’ll just bought the DVD I like and need on blender shop (last one was 3d printer tutorial), but want support the project and blender evolution. I’m pretty sure blender is the only real alternative to ADSK (I mean for freelancer)

Can you please provide a few links?

I’m just disappointed by the lack of interest in the Bronze sponsor category by individuals or small businesses that’s benefiting them using Blender as their main tool. I see them post here once in a while claiming that they’re using Blender in their job. Where are they now? I’m a mere hobbyist right now and hope to make money off of Blender someday. But any kind of hobby requires you to spend money. You go to watch a movie several times a year, you spend money. So if Blender makes you happy creating art, why not donate?

that’s why I donated. I’m actually confused by the folks who say they need more blender features, I’m sure it needs some to catch up to other programs but it does a ton already for animation. I’m more sympathetic to folks who want more on the game dev side actually.

Can you tell us where you found that info, or is it just a (rather insulting) assumption of yours?

I guess he confuses the >Pledge< that Steam made for Gooseberry with the >revenue coming in over the Steam workshop sales<.
They are not the same and it is not that hard to understand.

Ad hoc Wireless mesh network + ham nodes + “community” fiber + satellite hops

We can be the internet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B.A.T.M.A.N.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hubski.com.kvh.tincan

Serval Mesh

This also means that steam workshop donations coming from Valve are not out of Valve’s own pocket but rather revenue artist have given up to support something else of their own choice.

if this is true, it is disturbing.

I want the bge to get to a level where I can contribute revenue to blender.

Why not have both?

I would really like to see this confirmation.

@SaintHaven
I am a strong supporter of getting Blender better for external Game engine!
(the BGE just can´t cut it and its Licence is alienating to users and that part of Blender should be transformed into a Mesh/PBR viewer)

maybe the Steamworkshop/valve funds are put into Gooseberry because the bigger topics get tackled where we as game engine users can profit from it too ? Texture painting and so on … :wink: ?

also as it seems there might be a game for the Gooseberry project?

the general communication might be a problem here…

It does not matter if gooseberry is a film or game project. Read targets.
It is a project about better animation, asset and project management tools.

Everybody would obtain benefits of these improvements, filmmakers and video game makers (who are sometimes doing videos to promote their games).

Uh, their work was never about the BGE, it was about establishing a better workflow for those who make assets for games (which might be for a game made using Unity or the Unreal Engine).

Everything you hear might sound related to the BGE the way you interpret things but that is not the case.

Anyway (had something else before that twitter screenshot), Gooseberry the game might be a fantastic idea that could bring a number of things to the crowd that wants an improved pipeline for games and assets, every good movie must have a game right? Perhaps in this case, it would satisfy those who might be starting to think that Ton is unfit to be the project leader and should be replaced.

This “someone” is you, being in IRC under the name “Dataday”. Schizophrenic? :wink:

So I don’t get why you spread rumours and crap in here, instead of being a civilised man and ask Ton in IRC directly?

Actually, that’s rather because you have a talent for implying that the other’s brain is fundamentally broken, which I know you don’t intend to or realise. Scientific wording and latin never do really well in everyday conversation.

That said, I was slightly afraid of that. At the very least we can hope that baking is considered useful for Gooseberry(see all the happy squeeling in regards the more efficient rendertimes in the cycles baking thread), and from my own experimentation custom normals are useful in NPR(and are on the NPR wishlist). It’s likely the fbx support that is going to suffer :confused:

I still hope it’s not the case though.