What if someone was to make a Video oriented blender fork?

That is s.th. I’m really interested in. Maybe I find some time to invest into the output stuff.

Btw: The possibility to load 3D scenes in the VSE and do some basic editing is genius. It’s a great time-saver for those on the 3D side who need some basic editing. But I would not recommend Blender as a standalone video editing tool.

This is more of a UI problem than a back-end problem. FFMPEG (which is what Blender uses) is perfectly capable of generating h.264 video that plays everywhere. Unfortunately some of the settings are a bit of a moving target and although technically valid, there’s somewhat specific subset of configuration settings you need to set in order to produce a video that plays everywhere. Most of the issue deals with which container is used and the format of the multiplexed audio. Blender’s Encoding panel gives too many opportunities to configure output that only plays back in a limited number of players.

Gottfried, Fweeb,

thanks for the answers. In the past I tried a lot to find the right settings but always tuned back to exporting uncompressed video and encoding with adobe media encoder. :wink:

The video editor shouldnt leave from Blender, rendered image strips and mixing renders with real video is realy something great.

I mean leave it out and we could as well drop the game engine, texture painting, motion tracking, or FBX import /export, sculpting.
I’m sure lots of people wont like that, because we all tend to use Blender in different ways.
Blender became great because it supports all those ways, and is unique among 3D programs to do so much.
Instead of forks splitting off, better think of including more “ways” because that’s what is making Blender so great to work with.

Generally speaking (for me, at least), I can get multi-platform playable h.264 video out of Blender without a problem. Muxing the audio is what always tends to mess me up. When that happens, my process is similar to yours, except I use FFMPEG from the command line as my encoder. :slight_smile: