What happened to CGCookie ?

I, too, absolutely dislike how the site is structured now. Hard to find any tutorials actually (which should be the prime focus!) I’m UI/UX expert myself (main profession) and I must really say the new site is completely unintuitive to use. I can imagine they will lose lots of (potential) customers.

Just my two cents.
Marco

To find a list of tutorials, you have to click on features, scroll down to the very bottom of the page and click on “Explore our library”. Before I found that, I was like wtf… not very intuitive, no.

I think I can guess why this happened,
probably for one of the following reasons

a. Autodesk sued CG cookie for 3DS max cookie because autodesk(they did it with andrew price)
b.The other sites did not have that many tutorials so they just decided to merge

Cancelled subscription just before they revamped. It was so long between tutorials that were even mildly in-depth that $18/month was a waste ($25 now). I’d rather pay for a course or two during the year then pay every month for not much of anything. Kent should strike out on his own and sell courses, I’d be first in line.

Andrew is becoming more of an entrepreneur with his products he doesn’t have the time. I am getting to like CG Geek (Steve Lund), going to start on his dinosaur course next payday. http://www.cgmasters.net/training-dvds/complete-dinosaur-creation/

BA is a great site though hope they don’t mess with it.

There is so few high quality training for advanced Blender users, blendercookie was a really good site for that. I’ve always enjoyed the tutorials from Kent Trammell, basically the biggest reason why I joined from time to time, I think it’s a pitty they are focussing on beginner content, there is already so much of that already.

Exactly.

Amount of new content is low both in number & quality.

The UI of the website is not very pro to put it politely. Can’t find stuff easily or at all. I stopped even visiting the site to check what they have.

Most of their tutorials date back from the 2.5x versions, thus severely outdated.

They’re probably adding new ones based on Blender’s latest versions. I’m also guessing they’re waiting for the default keymap revamp. I don’t know. It’s hard to decide when an app constantly changes when you plan on writing books or make video tutorials.

Jonathan said somewhere that there has been very little interest in the more advanced tutorials, not enough to justify the effort to make them.

Since nobody mentioned it here yet… the entire CG Cookie archive is now free for all users, even downloading without citizen membership is possible: https://cgcookie.com/archive/

The new website is the best thing ever!

No Vray for Blender tutorials, 3dMax Vray tutorials are 2.x version which is over 1.5 years old.

I always thought that BlenderCookie owned BlenderArtists.org… is that not right?

@tom
yes it is