[VSE] Easy-logging 2.0

For the “Place” command I’ve inverted the line 686 and 687.
Previous:
bpy.ops.sequencer.view_selected()
goto_main_scene()

Now:
goto_main_scene()

For the command “Inport clip” I’ve insert a function bpy.ops.sequencer.view_selected() at line 743.

Now is:
return {‘FINISHED’}

:wink:

Ah fantastic ! Really ? I did invert the two lines ? haha… great thanks ! Now, before I commit this to the git, we need to answer this question :

In your opinion, what is the more convenient when we reach back the main timeline :
A) to keep the zoom level as we left it
B) to zoom on the new imported clip
C) to zoom out to see the whole timeline
D) to crash and erase your drive.

edit : yes, i confirm ! Ah silly…

D.

Any chance of remembering zoom amount then perform centre function followed by zoom out to earlier level?

I don’t think it is possible per se. But, I may have an idea to cook a hack. I will sleep on it and see if something pops out.

example of hack to get a zoom on the area and not only the new strip : Create two color strips of the same length of the imported one. Put one before, one after. Select the 3 of them. Zoom on the selection. Delete the two color strips.

I need to sleep. ObviouslZzzzz

Ah haa, tricky.

Look the “zoom_custom” function in the VSEQuickFunctions addon. :wink:

Ah even better, using only one temporary strip. So, it’s a working idea. I am gonna STEAL it !! HAHA!! (evil face)

So, I did a new ‘zoom’ function. I didn’t run a lot of tests but it seems to work. The new imported clips arrive horizontally centered with x times its length on both of its sides. (@3pointEdit, I didn’t find a way to centre things vertically).

x = 3, but I can change it.

Hmmm, thats weird. I wonder why the function

sequencer.view_selected
zooms and centres vertically then?

False alarm, all my bad (forgot a line). It works both horizontally and vertically. Thank you both for insisting on it ! :slight_smile:

You are awesome Nikos! Thanks for taking the time to bother with it :wink:

Just an idea… in Edit Table mode insert a new checkbox “Meta” near the button “Place” or a new button “Place as meta” for insert the new strip as a meta-strip.

haha, that’s funny ! This button was originally there, but I removed it in favor of an automatism : If you have more than one element on your editing table, the whole timeline is meta-striped before being placed. 3pointEdit was sad about it… if you tell me that it is still necessary, I’ll put it back.

Thanks for the input @fr33d0m70! It’s difficult for me to think outside of my own workflow :slight_smile:

edit : see how the metastrip automatism works :

Is only to avoid losing synchronization between video and audio, a meta-strip is only a trick to it. :wink: but… too many controls is too much confusion. Is only a ctrl+g after a “place” command. :wink:

Better than all the birthdays or christmases put together, is a responsive developer! Thanks Nikos

I am sorry if this sound like a stupid newbie question but… “This add-on offers de-rushing and logging functionnalites to the video sequence” What exactly is “de-rushing” I assume logging means the user can make notes on each clip of a video sequence

Yes you are right. I had never heard of de-rushing either, but rushes are film speak for initial prints of a scene used for editing on an old fashioned film edit desk. You would break your takes up into Rushes or Dailies.

Essentially you are adding metadata to your media, or logging shots semantically (adding language meaning to the meaningless).

Haha ! … Let’s say you have 100 hours of footage. You need to select only the interesting part and forget about the remaining garbage. Well, that’s “derushing”. Now, I guess, there’s a real english word for that ?

edit : fun tweets exchange on the subject…

• me : @3pointedit you should have told me “de-rushing” was not even A WORD !!
  • 3pointEdit : @nikos_prinio but you used it so much you convinced me it was real

lol…

Any chance of a written .doc or .pdf manual or at least a written html page?

Well, from the website (see signature below) you have a serie of short videos (1 or 2 minutes each) that introduce all the functionnalities.
It’s a little plugin-in, there’s no much else to know.