Viewport modernization/optimization; It has begun

Thank you Psy-Fi, I have some heavy scenes I can test.

So far, I haven’t tried building Blender. If anyone has a build environment already setup, I would appreciate a build to test, either GNU/Linux or Windows. Thank you in advance!

Thank you Psy-fi.

While we’re on viewport performance, what’s the deal with AO and antialiasing? I recall psy-fi saying something about memory issues from having both on at once, but it works if you hit the OpenGL render button. Just not in the actual viewport.

Indeed, it’s good to know that the days of Blender’s viewport feeling like a joke compared to other 3D software is numbered, and that even the work done so far will wipe off a bit of that stigma.

By 2.76, Blender could see a growth in the number of professional users because this alleviates one of the single biggest complaints they have about Blender.

That’s not the same hardware MSAA you have in the viewport, it’s most likely drawing the scene multiple times with sub-pixel shifts and the accumulated result is then (super-sample) antialiased.

You may have noticed in some applications (like 3DSMax) that if you hold the viewport steady, the drawing quality progressively improves - that works the same way. Could be a nice-to-have in Blender too, it’s pretty simple to implement.

Thanks for your works, Psy-Fi!

I’m curious, with this viewport updates, will blender viewport use deferred or maybe some other modern render techniques (forward+?) in future updates?

And with OpenGL 2.1 as new minimum, will we finally drop multitexture renderpath?

Is there a build to test those improuvement ?

Also, it paves the way for the game engine render to crawl out of the dark ages,

Psy-fi, have Kupoman been in contact with you?

He has been looking at all of this for a few years…

Optimizations are always welcome :slight_smile: Thanks!

Is “temp_display_optimization”, right?

Edit:
With this scene Blender closes when I choose “3D view”:

The terminal reports “segmentation fault” (translated from Spanish “Violación de segmento”.
This is the log:
http://pastebin.com/8DAZH3XQ

Does that have to do with the new code, or I have made some mistakes when compiling?

nothing sur graphicall.

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

so looking forward to it - while I love Blenders modeling abilities the view port is so slow with dense designs.

Great news! Thanks for this devs! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the test Yafu, problem is now fixed.

I’ve said it on the mailing list as well [1] I am not concerned at all with the game engine at the time. The game engine may use the system when finished but there’s nothing planned yet.

Yes, we are moving away from texface workflow towards a material based workflow.
Texface was bound to old hardware limitations with fixed pipeline and limited textures per mesh. In modern pipelines it just does not make sense unless we have people authoring stuff for playstation 1 or so.

I’ve answered about deferred rendering in the mailing list [2], probably I should make a FAQ since it’s a frequent question.

[1] http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-viewport/2015-June/000009.html
[2] http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-viewport/2015-June/000015.html

Thank you Psyfi!
Will the arrive of OSD will extra boost the viewport in addition to your efforts?

Thanks Ace dragon for pointing out things all the time :). I mean that sincerely, i really apprechiate it.

awesome! cannot wait for blender to pimp up it’s viewport! after all, that’s where most of the work is done

The workflow is still the same whether it’s playstation 1 or playstation 4 or PC - UV mapped mesh with bitmap image over it (and then in game engine several images can be mixed via masks and whatnot). But at its core, it’s still the same workflow. Just higher res textures.

yes but he’s talking about blender’s texface implementation not being needed anymore which is PS1 era tech. In blender texture view it shows what images are assigned to faces in the uv editor not the material.

although teh new material view in teh 3d viewport gives you best of both worlds.

Got it! Thanks.