Very small limited RPG (sort of) style adventure

Right, so I’ve been working hard on finishing up these models. What’s been done so far:

• hero model normal and AO baked + rig & armor, shield
  • demon guy normal and AO baked + rig

My problem:

I’ve created the armor in it’s separate file. I would like to add the possibility to interchange armors later on. How the heck to organize things? At the moment I have my hero model + the rig (based on rigify) in one file, the armor in a separate file, the shield in a separate file. The shield I’m not worried about because that’s rigid. But how do you parent the external armor with the rig? Is this even possible? or this is the wrong way to do these things?

The other option obviously is to make a local copy of the armor in the hero model file and parent it to the rig, then subsequent armors to be in separate files. Do you guys know a better way of doing it? I’ve been searching for hours on the net for a tutorial but couldn’t find anything useful.

Or: is it possible to have the rig in an external file and then somehow link it in the hero model + the armor model?!.. anyway, at this point anything is appreciated. I just want to keep things neat, so that would mean armors go with armors, characters go with characters, etc. Thanks, hope you enjoy my new pictures (these are in Blender Game GLSL - finally… well, the third one is, the first two are renders :D):

Parent a empty to a bone, then you can parent the shield to the empty,

I’m not talking about the shield, my issue is the armor (which is in a separate file and needs to be deformable), but thanks anyway :D.

If you create a dummy model of the armour on your rigged character you can then libload the detailed armour and mesh switch to put it on him. But… I’d probably keep all the player related meshes in a single file with the armature, you’ll want to test how it looks when you’re working on the animations, and anyway the player is always going to be in the game, right? It’s not like monsters where you might not see goblins after level 2 so it’s best to load them from a separate file only when needed.

The good thing about LibLoading assets is you can start off with dummy assets or placeholder art and get the game running with that. As long as you keep the object and mesh names consistent, you can later replace the placeholder stuff and it’ll continue to work in game as it was before.

Putting things in separate files can be good, but it’s better to keep connected things together so they can be tested on their own. If you need to merge a file with another one you can use append.

Yep, I know about the append. I think for the time being I’ll follow your suggestion about keeping everything together and make only one file per character with what he needs, then I can experiment with other assets as needed.

I haven’t tried LibLoad yet so, I guess, something else to experiment with :).

Thanks.