Verve - new painting freeware

Very impressive application, I will try it soon.

What it seems also interesting that is coded in Blitzmax.
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=101900

And why in the world do you sculpt models in Blender and Zbrush (with a clay shader applied) when you can just use real clay?

As piotr noted,
+1 Piotr.
BTW I do sculpt on clay, on water based traditional clay.
It is an amazing medium.
This is why I do love dynamic topology. This is why I find it more advanced than zbrush is.
Doris said it in three words.
“Dyntopo creates sculptors”
Love it.

Now you’re overreacting. We can all get along. Personally I don’t think I’ll be using it much (maybe a little to mess around with it), but if people find this tool nice, that’s great.

It is unreasonable to demand that a hobbyist should acquire all the tools necessary to try out painting with real oils to see if they even like it. I - for one - have no space in my small apartment for all that equipment, nor do I have an economical standing where I can just go out and buy all that stuff, nor do I have the interest to go through the trouble just to try it out.

For someone like me this painting application is amazing. It would allow me to try it for free, not take up valuable space in my room and at the same time let me enjoy the perks of digital media (Ctrl+Z, etc)

For those of you who can afford it, have the available space and time. Go ahead and use the traditional media but for those of us who can’t, please don’t try to deny us the alternatives.

I have an aversion to getting my hands dirty :slight_smile:

If you’ve got a good tablet like an Intuos 3,4,5,Pro or Cintiq, then natural media simulation has a lot of appeal. Before dismissing commercial software, download the demo to Corel Painter and watch some videos on YouTube demonstrating its capabilities. I especially recommend John Malcolm’s channel. At this time, though, Painter does not use GPU acceleration, so you should have a decent CPU (i5 or better) and a good amount of memory. Still, it should be interesting to see how GPU acceleration develops in programs like Verve and BlackInk. (I wasn’t that impressed by the BlackInk demo I tried last year.)

Artrage for me :slight_smile:
Painter has had its time. Now its kind of outdated and clunky

Artrage is an excellent value. I’ve heard good things about Sketchbook Pro, too. Fortunately, the demos can all be downloaded for comparison to see what fits wants, needs , budget, etc. Now, if Krita got GPU acceleration and full Wacom art pen support…

I have nothing at all against simulating real mediums. It’s just another option to create art. No one is compelled to use any of these, but if it makes art more accessible to some people, sparks an interest in other forms of art, or they simply create great art with a simulated medium…then who am I to complain? :slight_smile:

… Krita has gpu acceleration. For about a year now. It’s disabled by default.

Anyhow, looks impressive.

That’s excellent! I just downloaded version 2.8 for Windows. Should be fun! :slight_smile:

Im not that knowledgeable about tech stuff but why should it be limited to Windows "for ever" if its based on OpenGL? Pretty sure it can be ported to other platforms too.

More video goodness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp7sJkJCRio

So… the app is a lot of fun although at these resolutions not one for much serious work. The landscape he does in the video - did it remind anyone else of Bob Ross and his happy little trees?

If you’re having trouble with the canvas changing color when you switch paint color Hamstergirl has a workaround on the forum that fixes the problem…

looks good, but kinda wish it was watercolor instead.

You can turn bump to zero and play with the layering and opacity to get watercolor effects…

is it gonna be open sourced? I’m interested in writing such a tool as well, any good source/books to learn fluid simulation?