User Suggestions for 2.8x

Indeed you’re right :wink:

I was thinking about this earlier that the tabs should have presets to keep the configuration and it will be nice to make multiple preset for multiple type of work, archi, modeling, animation etc.

If you can hide the part you don’t need, with preset, that will be nice to make dedicaced tabs and you will have only what you need to use.

With presets, you will keep your configuration even if you change view.

I will put this on my proposal when I’ll know how to make a page on the wiki ^^

it seams not possible to react to the proposal, so i wonder why drop avi, since it’s the only video format compatible with (freeware) virtualdub, and has real good filters. I combine virtualdub and blender often in my workflow.

Thank you pitiwazou,
actually I have already made several attempts to point this out, and nobody seemed to understand, without the chance to set up presets, tabs are often an hindrance rather than an aid.

paolo

The problem is we need more tabs with nice presets.

could you please elaborate a bit?

That to which personally I refer is about the creation of preset configurations for the tabs on the various areas, so that there is no need to mess with them again for each new window open.

paolo

I agree here a lot. blender UI is not bad. The problem is that it is stiff.

i have to edit the py scripts to hide all the stuff I honestly do not NEED or do not want to see all the time.

The only issue I have with UI is vertical tabs with text in them. My eye sight is not that good anymore and vertical text annoys the sh17 out of me. Icons with vertical tabs would be fine, its just the text is unreadable. There is a common notion in graphic design which says “if a graphic can explain you what its for in 3 seconds than its designed optimally”. Just like good traffic signs or posters.

About UI, is it real to create an option for F6 operator, that when u click on a tool u need, its automaticly shows F6 menu with stuff and sits there till u close it? Its so annoying to turn on and off the tool shelf or clicking F6 after each turn of the viewport, while u changing values.

Docker fine tunning: lock, collapse, place, floating

Will be great if users could:

• Collapse a docker by clicking on the top-left/right icon
  • Place any dockers into display panel -T,B,L,R-
  • Make a floating docker by drag-and-drop it onto the canvas
  • Lock docker position

Gimp UI is a useful example.

For me, having tabs for the views like XSI or Guerilla, like that you can make extremely different and efficient layouts.

But it’s not something easy to make and we should for the start work on easy stuff ti fix or finish.

Like the outliner needs more love.

Since the talk is now about GUI (shouldnt it be a new thread?), but not sure if you people know visual studio.
There you have auto hiding dockers, which can also be locked to stay, that would be nice for blender.

Like icons of properties editor’s header that can’t be vertical.

Only reason to force horizontal headers is to keep shortcuts sum up, input values info and progress bar displayed in these headers.
So, vertical headers is meaning solutions to show these info.
I think there are temporary information; it should not be a problem to display them the same way that 3D View Name, object name or frame rate in case of a vertical header’s use.

I quiet agree - a floating palette with that would be terrific.

But I keymapped F6 to a mouse button so I can quickly call it!

As I can see, there are already some parts to work on.

• Tabs
  • F6 + Floating docks
  • scupt improvement

If I may express my first wish for 2.8 it is a “Real Global Undo”.

paolo

+1

work on editor mode
switch to object mode
press undo
lost all the edit work…
its annoying and very outdated compared with other apps

One thing i dont like in blender is the default layouts.
When i use them i still end up with splitting windows.
Why not change them into tabs like the user preferences window have, with unchangable defaults.

Because no two artists are the same, and for the need and ability to change those defaults. Set them up how you want them, and then save your start up file - and make a back up copy if you are worried about losing it when you upgrade versions. Improving the system for yourself shouldn’t mean taking away flexibility for others.

Undo definitely needs an overhaul. Everything should be an action that gets added to the undo stack, with separate stacks per area type, controlled by mouse hover i.e. an undo stack for the 3D view, and undo stack for the properties panel, an undo stack for the NLA editor, etc. each with smart undo depending on where user focus is.

I’m not sure if that would solve everything, for one thing the undo system also needs a complete redesign with how it stores data and acts upon it.

Right now, the fact that global undo is nothing more than a hack that stores a version of the entire .blend file means the application adds hundreds of megabytes of undo memory to a large scene if you do so much as disconnect a node socket. It’s functional, but Blender is still just one rung above being ‘that 3D program that doesn’t even have (global) undo’ because of how the code was hastily put together in the version 2.35 release cycle and then left fairly untouched.

What’s needed is a series of incremental steps that slowly converts the global undo system to one that simply stores values, vectors, matrices, shapes, equations, particle paths, actions that can be auto-executed in reverse, or even an entire object depending on the action. Rinse and repeat until the archaic method of storing undo .blends vanishes completely.