Unreal Engine 4 A.R.T plugin for Blender

I used CAT when it was still separate plugin, and it had more glitches, and I didn’t find it awful. On contrary, I find it a time saver and artist friendly tools.

I can hardly imagine such custom rig. If CAT doesn’t work for your rig - use bones. For game dev and many animations CAT offers more than enough.

That’s a user-problem. Animation layers are meant for secondary motions and animation tweaks.

Video as an example pkease. Never had that issue when I was using it.

I personally never used muscles (don’t really see use for it in game dev). Just posted because I’ve seen requests for muscle system in Blender.

All I can say to this is “LOL”. Look at Blizzard cinematics and games. Animated in MAX. So please don’t tell us “Animating in 3ds max is very bad idea” because practical examples tell us the contrary.

I’d say CE3 is not an engine you want to use, unless you have several experienced C++ programmers, full time employed.

Based on my understanding of A.R.T., it’s just an automated setup of your character. You will end up exporting it as FBX anyway. So any engine that uses FBX would benefit. The only thing would probably need adjustment is bones naming, materials naming and paths.

It would be covering deformation setups. Basically, Humane Rigging 1 is about the basics of building rig controls, Humane Rigging 2 is about the basics of building rig deformations.

Also, keep in mind that the purpose of the series is to provide a general mental toolbox that you can use to rig whatever you like. So specifics like N-legged creatures are unlikely to be covered unless it helps illustrate a more general concept. I do hope to eventually cover facial rigging, though, because that’s a whole can of worms all its own. But that would be Humane Rigging 3 at the earliest. And hopefully Humane Rigging 2 would provide an intrepid rigger with the tools to creatively figure out how to rig a face on their own.

Any rough approximate date for that tutorial project? :wink:

I have no idea.

If I were the one building it:

1. It wouldn’t be an ART clone, it would be designed and built based on a combination of my experiences with Rigify and inspiration from other auto-riggers (ART included, but certainly not exclusively).

2. It would be built with generality in mind (not just games, but also film, tv, etc.), so it would absolutely work with multiple game engines. I wouldn’t consider it worth my time to build something specific to a single game engine. That just seems silly to me.

But this is all pie-in-the-sky talk anyway, as I have no idea when I’ll have the time to do this. And like I said, even when I do find myself with time on my hands, I may prefer to put it towards something else. But there are other talented addon developers out there! Many who are more talented than me. Rigify was never meant to be THE auto-rigging solution for Blender. It was just meant to be one of many. I would love it if someone came along and blew it out of the water.

On this forums there is a guy JPBOUZA, he wrote that working on update for blenrig, maybe there will be something similar to ART :eyebrowlift:

• Meet with coders and users at IRC chat, irc.freenode.net #blendercoders
    • Weekly developer meeting in #blendercoders, sunday 16h Amsterdam time.

Some of us could attend here. The pros of implementing such a system should be exposed there clearly. We should let Blender Foundation know our requests. At these meetings, all the Blender devs participate?

Hi guys! Yes, I’m working on an update to BlenRig for this movie http://www.kiribatithemovie.com/. And you can also find the same beta rig in caminandes 2 and in the gooseberry teaser. But well, I know very little coding, and my rigs are definitely not fit for game engines, as they use blender specific features aimed for deformation. In fact, I’d love to be able to use a system like a possible rigify 2 as a complementary thing. What I always say to Cessen is that it would be cool to have a kind of “any rig to rigify” importer, hehe, but it would be a hard job to do that thing. There is a guy in Spain who modified rigify to be able to load rig samples from blend files, but I think he never released that…

Modular approaches are great, and it would be cool to have a modular system in Blender that let you import and mix any custom rig. That way, someone could create an Unreal rig and make it available. I guess that this should be possible even now if someone coded an unreal rig for rigify??

But well, similar to what Cessen said, I don’t think that it would be useful for blender to have work being done for a specific game engine. I mean, official blender coding for that. If someone would pay for such development, it would be cool. You just have to find the right coder for that.

1 Like

Easier said than done :wink: It’s virtually impossible to find add-on programmers for Blender.

Hehehe, you could just post something about this initiative in Blendernation, and offer money there! Some one will surely pick it up!

A post on Blendernation sounds like a good idea to get this known. If on that page there is also a funding campaign suggestion, probably someone would pick up this task and also create their funding system for the project. The question is: who writes the post? It should be very clear, presenting precisely what we demand, as well as the benefits of such a plugin.

There could be made a funding system like this: A bigger funding bar that updates( like in case of the Project Gooseberry) , and smaller funding bars under it, that permit backers to fund for each of the plugin features.

Blender irc meeting is tomorrow. If someone participates and gets feedback on this, please let the rest of us know how these suggested features were discussed.

Just to help out my fellow Blender users :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for this tutorial!!! It is realy awesome. I’m sure it will help a lot of people.

On Unreal Forums, someone asked if he could post the Maya code on Blenderartists.org . The official response was : no. Also, the ART creator confirmed that even if they allowed that, the Maya code couldn’t be used, the entire code should have been written from scratch for Blender, because Maya modules are different.
So…any idea where could we find interested Blender developpers?
https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?2727-Question-to-UE4-Devs-Can-I-post-the-UE4-Maya-rigging-tools-to-Blender-artist-Forum

I would personally love to see a rigging system or a rigging tool that would simply make it easier to export a clean armature with baked keyframes on it. Nothing more :slight_smile:

Here I will spam this thread as well with my old research video , just to clarify what I would like to have - not only for unreal, but also for unity3d. As Nathan mentioned- it should be applicable to more than one game engines.

Having the ability to generate a rig and reuse animations can reduce production cost massively. If you want to steal some more Maya users - this is the thing that would steal them from games industry animation imo.
It is pretty important.

1 Like

Good news. Something better than ART kit for Blender. Developers ARE working on a system, so if anyone searches for this via google, or just on here, fyi there is light at the end of the tunnel.

1 Like