Thoughts on how to time travel

Curve local spacetime.

I don’t think anyone knows if time travel is even possible. In fact no one even knows what time is or if it’s a concept that even exists in some form or another. With that in mind no one could say with any authority on the matter what time travel concept would or would not work.

There are many theories regarding the universe and I personally believe it is cyclical. If so then in order to travel back in time one would actually only travel forward in time far enough that they arrive in a future cycle of the universe, but at an earlier point in that future cycle’s time line. In other words, I don’t think one can travel backwards in time in the traditional sense, it’s a one way street, but because the universe is cyclical you can travel forward to arrive at the future’s past.

Like the legend of the phoenix , it all ends at the beginning.

Energy is neither created nor destroyed, if anything it is only ever converted from one form to another. The end of one thing is the beginning of another. While I could certainly be wrong, it seems logical that such holds true for everything.

I still believe my ideas can work.I still believe what blender is saying is true.Because it is just motion and animation can immulate it good enough.You can dismiss it if you want that is your prerogative.And if somebody wants to believe it.It is their prerogitive as well.

I have another idea on how to control the speed at which time flows easily.
It involves a object going forwards and rotating at the same time.Which is the first object. And this circular motion goes around a wheel that is spinning the speed of the rotation of the first object.Which is the second object.Then i have a wheel on the first object that that is the same size as the first object.Which is the third object.And it is counter rotating to the first object.Then on the third object i have a wheel
the same size as it that is counter rotating to it’s motion.The slower the spin of the first object the more larger the circular motion.the faster the spin of the first object the smaller the circular motion.This means that circular motion that is smaller and bigger has various speeds of rotations within it.There are many of these machines with circular rotations that are larger than one another that go around faster
and faster wheels.Each machines circular rotation is in sink with it’s second object.Since these machines have one rotation that are going faster and slower as the circular motion goes around.
Here is the blend.Press w to see it work.

Attachments

example time dilation device.blend (950 KB)

Time dilation due to gravity or velocity has been shown to exist on multiple occasions (of course reaching situations where time dilation would be relevant for a human lifespan is not easily achieved), so that could be used to travel forwards in time in a sense. Traveling backwards for example by going faster than the speed of light will, however, break what we know about physics at the moment.

You can construct whatever you want in blender. You can simply create an object and give it a speed greater than the speed of light. That does not mean that it is possible in real life.

Again the problem arises from the fact that you need to get the energy for the movement from somewhere (whereas in blender you can just add it as you wish). For low speeds your idea might work, but once you start reaching speeds where time dilation relevant, the energy required to further increase the speed is no longer so easy to come by. Furthermore, to keep a rotating movement at relativistic velocities would require a very large centripetal force, which would most likely tear apart the construction itself

I believe my device can work did you look at it and think about it.I hope you did not just dismiss it.You have to press p and then w for it to work.

It’s just three objects moving on a circular path?

A couple of questions:

1. In real life you need to supply energy to the system, how would you do that?
  2. How would you keep the objects moving on a circular path? You need something to provide the centripetal force.

A jet engine that spins by it’s jets clockwise.With a jet engine on top that spins counterclockwise the same speed but is smaller and has a jetnozzle that points outwards.That is to make the circular motionPeople who play baseball throw curve balls right.So i believe it will work because of that…

Curve balls curve due to air flow (a faster flow of air on one side of the ball than the other will create a pressure difference making the ball curve). If you want to travel close to the speed of light, you definitely do not want any air.

If you believe your ideas can work because you think about them and look at them, rather than building them and testing them, then you are engaged in magical thinking, my friend, and not science. “Not that there is anything wrong with that.” This is off-topic chat, after all, and if you want to discuss fantasy ideas for eventual inspiration of surreal Blender art, that’s fine. “Please proceed.” :wink:

I was saying using normal speeds to control how fast time flows not lightspeed.Just think about how many things you could do with such a technology and how that would change how cities looked.You could draw a picture if you
like.

To get any relevant time dilation you would have to travel at speeds close to the speed of light (i.e. the relative velocities of two objects would have to be close to the speed of light at some point).

Time itself (as we think of it) doesn’t necessarily exist. The physical expression of time revolves around the running down of natural systems via thermodynamics. The clock cycles are local to the half lives of adjacent systems. This is why there is time dilation. The experience of time varies based upon locale.

Information Theory and Many Worlds Theory could complicate it even farther. Suppose every plank length instance of what we call existence is a perpetuated snapshot of quantum probability. Suppose that what appears to be our subjective reality could be only an illusion that we are collectively calculating. A desk appears to be solid. We can feel that it is solid but it is vastly empty space. Solidity is just an illusion in the manor in which we sense the strong force.

Space and time did not seem to exist until hyper expansion. Both are non-existent in the quantum realm. Now the fabric of spacetime appears to be manipulable via the weak force. There is strong evidence that that is the case.

There really is no reason to think that time travel is impossible. It is however probably so difficult that it may take centuries before it could be achieved, even with accelerated advancement, unless there is a singularity type instance of course.

I refuse to believe there is no other way to cause time dialation.

Then this thread is not a science discussion as the whole point of science is to continually refine theories based on new information and accepting correction when previous opinions don’t align.

Now we know that you made this thread with the purpose of expecting everyone to agree with you and praise your work, meaning there’s not much point in discussion.

High enough gravity causes similar distortion.

Earlier in this very thread you were talking about going very fast as it would cause time dilation, which is correct. Now you are suddenly saying that simply making something that spins like a curve ball would allow you to control how time flows?

Yes it is one of my newer ideas and people are allowed to disagree with me.I intern should be allowed to disagree with them.No i don’t expect everybody to agree with me.If you want to agree with me you can.If you don’t want to you don’t have to.I was just trying to see if someoneelse saw what i was seeing.Maybe not enough people frequent this forum.

If you are going to go against the currently accepted theories it would be good to offer an explanation other than “I believe it is like this”. Show something that supports your idea. If you can show that your theory is correct (or why the current theories are wrong), get it peer reviewed and published. If you have nothing to support your theory it will be difficult to get people to believe you.

But please do not try to publish anything along the lines “I recreated this in the blender game engine, so I know it works…”.