Teenage Soldier

I also viewed this image as needing to be in context with pro-war propaganda. To me this says “Look, this is how dumb you would have to be to believe that war is a fun thing or a good idea.” In a way it is depicting the propaganda itself as stupid, which is a healthy thing to do. To me this mocks the bad reasons for going to war, without commenting on or satirizing the “good” (or at least respectable) ones.

this is a very cool character and scene

I find it interesting that the only thing that might make the message controversial is the helmet. Change the hat and people would look at it differently. To me the message is the same either way. Don’t think, just follow/copy/obey. Well done suboptimal, on many levels.

Cool model. Has a strong ‘Mad’ vibe to it. The message is a great touch, our leaders want us dumb and just do their bidding.

Can you submit wireframe of this model? Btw. great work :slight_smile:

Thanks! Yeah, the helmet makes a huge difference in the look.
Heres’s the wireframe, I didn’t get it nice looking, but it should do:

Yes MAD that was what it reminded me about. Man MAD is so old I read it when I was a child in Germany.

Fantastic work!

Alfred E. Neuman goes to war! :yes:

Seriously, this is a very good image, and yes, it does look like hand artwork, particularly with what you did with it “in post.” I happen to very much enjoy images that try to do that.

This is a great render! I really love the painting look.

@sundialsvc4 and the rest, Yes MAD magazine Looks at the war in IRAN! written and illustrated by Suboptimal.:yes:

Very nice, love the style and everything. Big thumbs up!

Looks great, congratulations for the top row!

Really great work!. Looks like a real media illustration.

I like it a lot. Good work! :slight_smile:

Awesome!
just love it.
Did you sculpt it and retopo within Blender?

Yes, I did a quick crappy Dyntopo sketch in about an hour, then retopoed it as rough as possible and reprojected a subdivision level to match the new mesh the sketch a bit more (You do this by adding a multires modifier, subdividing it up to the level you want to adopt the detail from and applying a shrinkwrap modifier with the Dyntopo mesh as target right after it).
It was then sculpted to about 1 million polys, the rest of the detail comes from a simple bumpmap I painted, whch actually doubled my rendertime -.-
Agian, thank you for all your feedback, i would never have expected so much response :slight_smile:

Great work! Reminds me of the Fallen Art short film by Platige Image http://www.platigeshorts.com/fallen-art.html

Very good render! :eyebrowlift: I looks really like Alfred E. Neumann :evilgrin:
But I have a little historical question. Do you mean really the WW1? The symbol on the helmet is the “Reichsadler” of the german Nazi-Party from 1935-45. So, i think it`s a soldier of the WW2.

Brings a smile every time I look at this, just an exceptional job…but it makes me want to see what his body would look like.

I can envision a little animation where the camera starts panning showing these head sculptures one by one of famous war generals, than as it continues to pan all of a sudden it comes upon this dude. :slight_smile:

I’m just lazy, and I needed something to make the helemt more interesting, and it was the first thing coming into my mind…should’ve spent more time on the historical research:D Maybe I can excuse it by claiming that the message is true for every war, so it doesnt have to be correct… *cough

That Platige Image short is gorgeous, I love the character style!

Hmm, an animation…nice idea, must try that when cycles baking comes out, so all that SSS doenst take years to render.