Tauren Marine

Awesome work. Just a small tip for your presentation: animate your character a bit, otherwise it is seen as a prop, not as a character.

And do not be shy about posting your work! That’s how you learn: from comments. And I don’t think anyone at the other cg forums will think this is anything but good/great work.

Awesome! Looks better then the Blizzard one! :smiley:

thats the best compliment :slight_smile:

sure. I’ve had a WIP-thread for this project on a couple of different sites (like for example 3dhue.no, a norwegian site), and i try to actively ask for feedback and constructive critique on those threads. Those WIP are a good way to push your project and (as you said) to learn.

again, thanks everyone for all the kind comments

That is steller work! You really did hit that tricky balance of gritty realism and clean style well.

Kudos!

Congratulations, it is an amazing piece of work!

I’m very sorry that Blender V-ray don’t get more attention. :frowning: (I would really appreciate a node material support, or a stable V-ray RT preview) I think the main drawback of Blender, that it hasn’t got a reliable, solid, feature rich render engine. Cycles is cool, fast and easy to use, but the most important for the professional market is the predictable behavior. (Pathtracers usually perform worse at this point, than raytracers. They are good for archviz, but for animations a ray-tracer could be much better). With v-ray, blender could be an equal alternative to some pro software.

Congrats for well deserved gallery !

Why did you use skulptris? IMHO, but still… Blender sculpt mode is better than skulptris!
P.S. Work is cool

Really great !

What is the reason you use V-Ray ? Would you use Cycles as well ?

Kind regards
Alain

I’m pretty sure it’s speed + clean results. Getting a clean image out of Vray is just a lot faster than in Cycles. For animation Cycles is a nightmare. I love Cycles but it’s too slow right now. Noise and fireflies don’t help if you are in for a proffesional looking reel.

Congratulations ktysdal for your splendid character!!!

hi Alain. There were a few reasons. Personal projects like these are great opportunities to experiment and learn. So i very often end up changing rendering engine in the middle of these project just because I want to compare things like workflow and rendertimes.

I have quite a lot of experience with vray from my previous job. I used to use it together with C4d, and i’ve also done archviz in 3dsmax+vray. I purchased a standalone license for vray before christmas and I havn’t used it much until now, so it made perfect sense to production-test the blender-vray version on a real project.
With that said, i have quite alot of experience with cycles as well. Most of my personal projects since 2011 has been done in cycles (+ i was part of the renderteam on TOS).
btw, the beard + hairdo was rendered in cycles and composited. The smoke was BI.

but as onnevan said, vray is faster then cycles (on CPU). Simple as that. There are of course pros and cons to both, and both are good.

I didn’t expect that :slight_smile:
very cool!

This looks amazing!:yes:

top quality, your models are fantastic. I commend you sir.

But GPU is faster, right ? Is the VRAM limit in GPU rendering a reason for you to not use Cycles as well ?

Kind regards
Alain

Yep. V-Ray RT is indeed faster.

Nice work ktysdal; and a nice clean render. A well deserved place in the Gallery, for sure. :slight_smile:

Nice Character!!
About the comparison between cycles and vray, have you tried to compare both engines under linux? I have noticed that, Cycles is much more faster under linux.

So is V-Ray or any other rendering engine under linux. That’s why serious render farms use linux.

The huge advantage of V-Ray always was it’s way of separating Primary Bounces and secondary. Meaning you could have brute force for the primary bounce and get very good detail for displacements etc and have a biased technique ( Irradiance/Light Cache ) for the more time expensive secondary bounces ( that is why cycles is slower )

In big exterior production environments with lots of details evenly distributed throughout the scene ( displacements,hair,smoke,dof,etc) Cycles would give better and faster results because of integration and nodes. That’s also the reason why Arnold is used today on the majority of VFX scenes.

For Architectural Visualization ( indoor mostly ) where there usually are large flat areas ( more or less ) V-Ray is no doubt king !

MAN…I am absolutely in love with your poly-flow. Top work. Well done

Looks good.

One thing to note, instead of reflection map, best to call it a spec map as thats the more commonly used term in the industry.

hmm… i think you’re right (even i usually call them spec-maps). I’ll probably do a revision of the reel within a couple of weeks. i’ll try to remember to change it.