Superpowers-collaborative 2d\3d html5 game editor- Has Been Open Sourced!!

it seems still a long way to meet $3000

Cool, I started supporting them 2 months ago. The engine is really fun to play around with. I only wish they had more video tutorials in english. Otherwise it’s a fairly easy engine to work with.

Heya folks. Here are some new Superpowers updates!
EDIT: Moved the post to this page so its more noticeable.

Oyster> I think that they will release it anyway, even if they cant reach their goal. But the money is helping them develop it, so even after it’s released it will continue to drive the pace of development. RealityFox has done well to support them :slight_smile:

Superpowers devlog — Update 11
The HTML5 2D+3D game maker. Extend it with plugins,
collaborate in real-time, script with TypeScript!

Hi friends! We released two new versions of Superpowers over the last couple of weeks.

Superpowers v0.11
http://i.imgur.com/aX4kUgQ.png

NEW ON-DISK ASSET LAYOUT
TRANSFORM GIZMOS IN THE SCENE EDITOR
IMPROVED SHADER SUPPORT
RAYCASTING
STREAMLINED APIS
AUTO-REPEAT KEY PRESSES
and more…

Superpowers v0.12
http://i.imgur.com/84lII1B.gif

FUNCTION PARAMETER HINTS IN SCRIPT EDITOR
ANIMATION SPEED AND SPRITE RENDERER PLAYBACK SPEED
ANIMATION TIME APIS
BETTER SOUND PLAYBACK API
and more…

Right now I’m working on a cubic model editor
(similar but better than the one found in CraftStudio)
while Bilou and Pixel-boy are putting the finishing touches
on a couple of demo games we’ll be releasing soon.

As always, you can join almost 300 other game makers in supporting us and
get early access to Superpowers at SparklinLabs.com

Been working on more documentation lately:

The new Sounds and music tutorial will teach you how to play sounds, make them loop, customizing pitch and pan.
The raycasting tutorial succinctly covers casting rays and checking for hits, for shooting or UI elements.

The Demo projects page now features several full game projects as well as a link to all our example projects.

It’s a bunch of very simple projects showcasing just a couple features at once. For instance, this little shooting range game shows how to manage a list of enemies and use Vector3.distanceTo() to check whether an enemy is being targeted or not:

Also documented where your projects are stored if you need to make a backup or move them to another computer.

Superpowers v0.13 and v0.13.1 are out http://forums.tigsource.com/Smileys/derek/kiss.gif

RPG demo project

We also crafted a new RPG demo project adding to our already quite long list of demo projects

http://i.imgur.com/VjyUYmJ.png

We’re still hammering away at the cubic model editor and getting ready to open source by the end of the year. We’ve just settled on a license, too: the ISC license is probably the most permissive and simplest open source license around… so it makes sense we’d use it for Superpowers http://forums.tigsource.com/Smileys/derek/grin.gif

On October 25th we’ll be at the French convention “Des Cubes et des Pioches 2” in Tarbes. We’ve been working on marketing materials like roll-ups, cards and refined logos for both Superpowers and Sparklin Labs…

Thanks once again for all your support, with kind words, bug reports, donations, documentation translations, etc.
Much love, see you soon! :heart:

OH, I ALMOST FORGOT. We released a vidya game made with Superpowers!!

Neither snakes nor cats… it’s SNACATS!
a (strange) multiplayer game with awesome meowsic and funny (stupid) characters.

http://i.imgur.com/anP6gnA.gif http://i.imgur.com/QoC3AVB.gif

Play for free online at: http://sparklinlabs.itch.io/snacats

Superpowers v0.14 is out in early access!

Featuring transform handles working in 2D mode!

Code folding in the script editor

Reworked home tab!

Clean up sidebar look for all editors…

Keyboard navigation in tree views.
Three.js r73 update.
Arcade Physics 2D fixes and improvements.
Vectorized logo. More API simplifications.
Read it all at https://sparklinlabs.com/releases/0.14.0

You can support us and get early access at http://sparklinlabs.itch.io/superpowers or https://sparklinlabs.com/. Cheers!

Quote from: blurymind on November 02, 2015, 04:13:12 pm
Cant wait for the open source release!! Will it happen this year?

Yeah we’re hoping to get it out there before the year ends! Hopefully maybe probably! Doing our best

The scripting language seems very cool

Yah Typescript is a pretty decent language. I like it a lot more than Javascript. Works a lot like a C language which is nice.

here some news:

0.15.0 released on 2015-11-14MASSIVE CHANGES UNDER THE HOODWe always envisionned Superpowers as a platform for collaborative creative work. With that in mind, we designed it so that one day, it could support multiple project types, not just games. This release finally brings this vision to reality.
The Superpowers game engine, which used to be found in the system folder, now lives insystems/supGame. Other systems can be added alongside it and the Superpowers server will automatically load them all. The plugins folder has been moved inside systems/supGame too, since those plugins are system-specific.
At this time, there are no other systems available. Now that the dust is settling, we’ll be working on documentation for building your own systems and plugins.
Plugin developers: check out CHANGELOG-DEV.md for info on how to update your plugins.
REDESIGNED PROJECT HUBYour server’s project hub should be all about your projects! We gave them more space, made the project titles bigger and added the ability to upload icons.

Projects are now ordered alphabetically, too. We plan to add search / filtering capabilities later for bigger servers.
The project creation popup got a makeover too:

PROJECT NAVIGATION IMPROVEMENTSHitting backspace accidentally won’t redirect you back anymore, loosing all your open tabs. Oh and there’s now a button in the top-left corner of a project’s window to navigate back to the server’s projects list.
TRASHED ASSETS AND PROJECT UPGRADESTrashed asset files are now moved to their own trashedAssets folder in your projects, rather than being kept in the same folder as other assets.
We setup a proper migration system for projects, for upgrading your projects to a newer version of Superpowers. Each project’s manifest.json now contains a format version number and the migration code has been moved to its own file.
We’ll be doing the same for assets and resources moving forward, using format versions instead of detecting old formats by looking at the data itself. This should help make upgrades smoother and mor reliable.
Finally, whenever an asset or resource is upgraded, the changes will be written to disk even if they aren’t otherwise modified. This will avoid doing the upgrade work again and again when your server starts.
API BROWSER IMPROVEMENTSPreviously, you had to rely on the browser’s search function to find your way through the API and it only worked for the current page. You can now use the new search field to sift through the whole API, even when running the app!

We’ve added highlight.js to make the API a bit easier on the eyes.
The Sup.Behavior class has been split in its own page, and documentation for the various overridable methods has been added (awake, start, update and onDestroy).
CUBIC MODEL EDITOR AND ELECTRON MIGRATIONThe cubic model editor has progressed nicely. It now features basic texture painting as well as copy / paste. The runtime and API bits for cubic models have also been written.
Sadly, the current version of NW.js runs an older version of the Chrome runtime and the cubic model editor won’t work there, so we had to postpone its release.
Good news though: we’re almost done porting Superpowers from NW.js to Electron which sports a more recent Chrome, supports all the stuff we need and is an all-around cleaner way of doing Web apps on the desktop!
3D MODEL IMPORTER UPDATEThe glTF importer now supports version 1.0 of the spec.
glTF is a runtime 3D asset format for WebGL, developed by the Khronos Group. They provide an easy-to-use COLLADA converter. It supports animations.
See Working with 3D models in Superpowers.
NOTEWORTHY FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS

• The way textures are loaded has been revamped, fixing some intermittent issues in the scene editor and other places.
  • When failing to connect to a server, Superpowers will now correctly display an error message instead of a blank window.
  • The Sup.Audio.SoundPlayer class gained new .isPlaying() and .getState()methods.
  • Spelling Behavior as Behaviour is now handled correctly when creating a new script, to accommodate our British friends.
  • The game settings now store the startup scene’s ID rather than its name, so that it doesn’t break if the scene is renamed.
  • The “Getting started guide” links were renamed to “Documentation”.

Developers, check out CHANGELOG-DEV.md.
NOW POWERED BY ELECTRON!Until now, NW.js had the heavy responsibility of powering the Superpowers app and it did a fine job. But we’ve decided to embrace the newer, more regularly-updated and better-supported Electron runtime going forward.
Electron runs the latest stable versions of Chrome and Node.js under the hood and has a lot of momentum behind it.
While this is a very positive change, it might be a little disruptive and we’re sorry about that. For instance, your server list will be reset because it was stored inside’s NW.js local storage and Electron has its own. Also, there might be new bugs, though we’ve done quite a lot of testing. Let us know if you find any!
Oh and if you’re running your own stand-alone Superpowers server, we recommend upgrading to Node.js 4.x as that’s the version we’ll be working with from now on.
REDESIGNED ASSET SEARCH POPUPThe search popup is now bigger, cleaner, features asset type icons and its keyboard ergonomy was improved! Use Ctrl+P to trigger it, or Cmd+P if you’re on a Mac.

PROJECT HUB IMPROVEMENTSThe new “Edit details” button opens a popup that lets you edit the project’s name, description and icon all at once.

The new “Open project” button lets you open projects on smartphones and tablets! Ergonomy of the various editors isn’t great for touch devices at the moment, but hey, at least it works!

When hovering over a project, its type is now displayed next to its description.
FIRST RELEASE OF THE CUBIC MODEL EDITOR!The cubic model editor is finally here for all to play with!
It’s pretty rough around the edges still but you can build your own cubic models in Superpowers now, just like you could in CraftStudio. How cool is that? :smiley:
Support for animations, custom unwraps and more shapes (!) will be coming in future updates.
SHINY NEW ICONS AND BUTTONSWe did a lot of visual clean up.

• The icons to manage assets above the project tree were redesigned.
  • The tile map and tile set icons have been redesigned.
  • The scene editor’s ugly text buttons were finally replaced with pretty icons.
  • The vectorized Superpowers icon is now used everywhere!

“STOP PROJECT” BUTTON FOR CLOSING FROZEN GAMESFrom time to time, you might get your game stuck in an infinite loop. It’s alright, it happens to the best of us. Thanks to our upgrade to Electron, you can now get out of this sticky situation with the click of a button!

NEW DOCUMENTATION TOOLThe controls and hotkeys for the scene and tile map editors have finally been documented inside Superpowers!
This new built-in documentation is pretty barebones at the moment, we’ll be giving it some love over the next few releases.
The documentation tool inherited from the TypeScript API browser’s old icon, and the API browser got paid back with a more fitting one.
REDESIGNED SETTINGS TOOLWith the toolshelf getting more crowded, the Settings tool got jealous so we gave it a paint job!
We don’t hide each editor’s settings in its own page anymore, and we’ve separated global game and project settings from the rest.

NOTEWORTHY FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS

• The launcher now properly handles offline servers and will check if the server’s version is compatible with the launcher.
  • Exported games now feature an index.html at the root, which makes uploading them to various hosts simpler.
  • Asset types, tools in the toolshelf and component types are now sorted by name in the user interface
  • Sup.Actor.getBehaviors has been added, for getting multiple behaviors of the same type.
  • Component destruction has been fixed to work properly in all cases.
  • Tile map renderer components are no properly destroyed too.
  • Sup.SpriteRenderer.setAnimationTime now correctly handles animation speed.
  • The shader editor’s stylesheet has been reworked quite a bit.
  • Updated to p2.js v0.7.1, which no longer bundles unnecessary dependencies, saving ~20 MB of disk space.
  • Scene asset dependencies are now correctly initialized when loading a project.

PROJECT TEMPLATESThe project creation dialog now lets you choose whether to create an empty project, or use an existing template.

There’s no user interface for creating project templates yet, but you can simply create a project, customize it to your heart’s content and then copy the project folder tosuperpowers/app/systems/THE_SYSTEM/templates.
We’ve included a 2D platformer template for the Superpowers Game engine and we’ll add more over time.

Nice, I was looking forward to their template update. Should be helpful with learning.

It’s been announced!!

We’re thrilled to announce that our HTML5 game maker Superpowers will be released as free open source software on January 7, 2016!

Not quite clear on what Superpowers is? Check out this link: http://itch.io/t/9542/the-superpowers-game-maker-megathread

Please share and spread the word around you! Thanks :heart:
http://superpowers-html5.com/

also new website:
http://superpowers-html5.com/

One thing I noticed…

I was reading through what documentation they had so far and it looks like this is going to be one of those (mostly) server-side engines that require an account along with an internet connection.

What’s the catch (most of these types of engines right now have catches such as public projects only unless you pay, I wonder if they’ll also make it so free users have to launch the game with the ‘made with Superpowers’ splash as well)?

It’s Seems Great.

Doesn’t look like that to me. On the download page they say:

No Internet connection required. Your projects are stored on your computer.
You can work on your own while offline, on a plane, at the beach…

A lot of JavaScript engine frameworks are starting a local server for you because some browsers, Chrome/Chromium for example, have very restrictive default JavaScript settings and don’t allow scripts to have access to your local file system. If a local local web server is running on your machine you can access the pages via localhost, then the restriction doesn’t apply. I believe Superpowers is that way also. Maybe that’s what you read?

I read something about setting accounts and servers being started on this page.

There they give the impression that they will use the launcher to deliver content (much like with Unreal 4). Maybe it only deals with the collaborative part along with the services you get through the launcher.

Yes, that’s what I understood. Well, we shall find out on January 7th :). I’m looking forward to checking out this project.

You don’t need to be online to use the engine. All of the files you make are saved locally, anything server related is for the collaboration. The sever is hosted on the computer that is running the engine. You can link up online by putting in a sever url and a password. It allows for those who don’t have the engine running to also use it.

Thank you for clarifying, RealityFox.

Superpowers has been open sourced a day before they announced they would open source it!
It is available at github:

The engine now also supports LOVE, apart of TypeScript!

So if you prefer writing games in LUA, there you go :slight_smile:

huh never tried using Lua before. I’ll have to take a look at Love now.

I wanted to add you to the list of game engines with support for glTF here:

But digging around your GitHub repo, I can’t find any mention of glTF. It’s only in your documentation. If you’re using the glTF format, where’s the code for it?

Btw, as an alternative to the Collada --> glTF export pipeline, Assimp now supports glTF export (it also supports import but that’s not as relevant here). So you can do an import with any one of its supported import formats - which includes .blend, .obj, .3ds and .fbx - and then export to glTF.

http://docs.superpowers-html5.com/en/development/building-superpowers

also I am not the developer of superpowers, just a fan. You can contact him if you put in some more effort.
:wink:

unfortunatelly blender does not have a gitf exporter.

OH MY GOODNESS!! ooooh shiny! What a fun toy! I can’t wait to start making all sorts of great stuff with this! :eyebrowlift:

The engine is amazing for game jams. I was able to host a server on my computer and let a friend from another country access my game editor with the game project from a web browser and edit and run the game remotely. After trying to access it from my phone - that worked too!
Running the editor from phone is good for testing the game, but not really for editing. The android keyboard doesnt have {} and other symbols. Also the editor does not yet support pinch-zooming.
Otherwise it is pretty amazing. The game updates real time as people edit it, no need to use github or dropbox and wait.