Spot the fake

Hi, Photox, now that you are doing a second one, I’d like to ask when or if you will solve this one for us. You know, we are all very curious now, sitting in the valley of the clueless :wink:

Ha!

I posted a link to the answer shortly after the thread started. Post #14, Here’s a direct link to the answer image

Red is fake. The reflections on the lighter don’t look right to me. Maybe lower the fresnel value and the reflection strength to make it more realistic

holding up my bic to the screen, the chrome really tells on you in the red :wink:
great job, fun render, fix the chrome to really fool them. :slight_smile:

Thanks, Photox. Your comment in #17 made me think #14 would be an attempt to wind us up again :wink: Therefore I didn’t look at that :o. Once again: Well done!

It was really hard to notice which one was fake until I saw the reflections on the chrome part. They really give it away, and the shadows are way too harsh. The granite also looks a little off.

Really just nitpicking there but it is those small details that separate real from fake. Awesome Job!

Red is fake.
the absorption shader on the base edge is a bit too strong.
if I’m right, for me it’s the logo artwork that is too perfect. Pad printing on daturated colour won’t cover perfectly.
on the purple one, white colour of the logo got a bit purplished.

Anyway that’s unbelievably believable.

left, too obvious,
glossiness shader is way too uniform

Nice job.
I think the one on the right is the real and the other one is fake.

Purple is the fake one. I’m pretty sure but it could be the red one but I’m still going with the purple as fake. could we see a blue one, that might help. :eek:

there is one mistake that gave the red one away, the lighter is really tighly standing on the ground, cycles makes sharp lines there then

tipp, lift it up off the surface by like 2 mm, creates a shadow in the front that looks like its standing on the table not sitting inside it

great work, impressive

Really hard but i’d say the left one.