splines then retopo

I have been up all night learning tutorials and maybes to help.

I was wondering, do you set up orthographic camera and have a certain focal lenth? or just use the defualt settings when clicking on 5 for ortho and whatever view you want to model in? I guess a focal lengh or 80 or higher is ideal for modeling.

last question is when modling in ortho view. is it a common thing to just move a vertcie to your reference image or use incrment snapping to get nice even and not out of place vertcies? t

I noticed when I click on a vertcie and use the NUM. — zoom in on selection. I can see how far away my vertcie is away from the reference image lines. so I am not sure if I need to set up a certain focal lengh to model or a ortho camera that is used for modeling becuse last night, I notice how uneven my vertcie were to the reference line after I selected a vertcie and hit NUM.

Some people do have specific setups when modeling in orthographic view, but not me. You can right click on your image and choose properties to see what is the focall length of the image. It’s usually somewhere around 35mm.
Just move your vertices to the reference image, don’t use increment. Increment is used for different things.

sorry, don’t mean to be annoying, but after hours of research last night and today I have one more question.

I was looking at this blender site (link below) and it says that the moving or snapping of a vertice will change according to resolution of the camera or grid. i think this is why my vertice are always out of place because. last night after moving a vertice to a reference image line, when I move the next one, and then I hit NUM. I zoomed in and saw how far off it was to the line.

so this bring me to my question. there is two focal lens attributes for the camera in the N panel and the camera settings…

if I change the camera focal point in the N panel for the camera to say 65 instead of 25, and have the camera settings set to orthographic, and set a
view always and the mesh is locked to your camera so you can only zoom in and out to the same distance. would this help in keeping good edge flow? but if so, is the camera already set up in otho view or can you change the focal lens and not sure if that would be in the N panel or the other settings in the pic below I included. so then instead of ever being in perspective mode settings, can you be in ortho in the whole scene and able to rotate around the mesh etc and wont have to worry about this zooming in and out causing different placement issues.

the info on using increment snapping and how different zoom levels effect your placement.

1. https://www.blender.org/manual/editors/3dview/transform/transform_control/snap.html
  2. https://www.blender.org/manual/render/camera/lens.html

Attachments

camera has nothing to do with snapping

normally works in ortho mode much smoother and easier

so set your zoom level then use snap increment

happy bl

maybe so , but I have a theory, and it seems correct after every tutorial I watch.

I noticed in every tutorial, when the person who does the tutorial switches between orthoe views , there not zooming in and out every time they switch orthoes and I am. there camera is in one place.

I like to get up close to the image and place the vertices
How do you set up a camera setting say when your in front ortho? it’s the lens properties right in the N panel?

I am always zooming in and out every time I switch orthos to move a vertcie. and just like a camera the closer your are the better detail and I found that out on how far a vertice actual was from the reference image lines when I zoomed into the next vertcie using the Numpad hot key. so these dent make sense in away. i will try it tonight. I just need to figure out a camera setting. I do use photoshop to change my canase size of my reference images to be a power a power to one so there all lined up correctly.

how do you change the focal point of your ortho camera? is it in the N panel since the properties to the other camera I think is the active camera.

but what are you doping with the camera ?
I mean you use ortho and snap inc in viewport on in camera view as I remember !

for ortho camera you set it in camera panel

happy bl

I will try that. I don’t set up a camera . I just hit the 5 key and go into a ortho view and I have to zoom in to move my next vertice. it’s like my camera is to far away from the reference so I want to try changing the focal lens to see if this is my issue.

in tutorials they’re not zooming in and out. so i thin this can be causing the dents since the vertices aren’t actually aligned up to the reference lines well, not to the naked eye after the num hot key last night and it zoomed me up close to a vertex where it was quite aways from there reference lines.

it should not change location but could if you have snap increment on!
so don’t use snap increment when following the reference pic
and vert will be added where you set it with cursor

I never used snap inc before and never had any problem to set my verts !

try this file with snap increment set

try to extrude one vert and move it
it will move in increment

happy bl

Attachments

snap-increment1.blend (227 KB)

also i did find this too last night. the options in the image section, I guess the crop and stretch ect helps keep the camera and reference image in view.

Attachments

see earlier post I added a file for snap incr

this has nothing to do with Camera

this is for reference image in background !

happy bl

I didn’t notice these options before or tried using the lens because I was modeling not rendering. I don’t even think there is a tutorial covering this. I was wondering why nobody else or people in the tutorials were never zooming in and had the same view every time they modeled.

I switched ortho views,every time I move a vertex and had to zoom in. lol

, this was causing the dents since it wasn’t actually a accurate zoom in every time I did it. I mean I would scale the image up but using that focal lens brings the image to the camera. well looks like tonight I may be able to work on a project finally. lol

thanks guys.

Attachments

Another thing that may be handy in relation to camera view: If you have something selected, press the “.” key on the numpad to center it in view. I use that heaps when modeling or manipulating objects in a scene.

Having watched this thread for a while, I get the impression you are over-thinking it :slight_smile:

Firstly, you need very good blueprints, perfectly aligned. Work in at least two ortho views and don’t move anything unless you are in an ortho view. Move your verts in one view, watch what happens in the other - then only move verts in a single axis at a time. For a beginner, I suggest not using grab to move anything without constraining it to a single axis.

For instance, if you are extruding from the wheel arch towards the front, have side and top views open. Extrude forwards in the X axis in side view and in towards the blueprint in the Y axis in top view. Switch to perspective every now and then to see how things are coming along, but don’t move anything!

When you zoom in using the mouse wheel to see detail, everything changes in proportion, so this will not affect vert placement.

A very handy tool for smoothing out little dents is the smooth verts function - use it sparingly and not close to the edges on a mesh, or you may get distortion.

No need to go messing about with camera settings and such.

Hope this helps a bit:)