soc-2013-bge Feedback Thread

One thing that could be useful for the GSOC, is fixing some of the python functions that don’t seem to work. Like the SetMistColor and setBackgroundColor in GLSL. There are a few more I think but it might be nice to see these finally be completed. This doesn’t require any major overhaul of the engine or anything I don’t think so maybe it could be included as part of a larger project for the SOC.

I am not sure how but for your LoD maybe you can make use of the fact that a game object has a list of meshes for some reason (object.meshes) but uses only one mesh. So maybe you can add an option in the object data panel where we choose meshes to add more meshes to the list (like we add materials) and give each mesh a distance that will trigger it.

I think here are suggestions suitable not only for me:

• Increase max value of Frustum Size of Your Sun shadows, or even add 2nd shadow map with the same resolution but larger Frustum Size (see Sudeki and S.T.A.L.K.E.R games)
  • Conforming decals (like in all popular modern shooting games)

Probably less usable suggestions:

• G-buffer shadows instead of Depth-buffer ones as option - usually they don’t need Bias, Clip Start and Clip End controls, they allow to disable self-shadowing when needed, and (!) they have no z-fighting artifacts
  • Dynamic permanent deforms of physics objects (like in modern car games) (can be a new Physics Type, simplified Soft Body)

One thing off the top of my head:

Logic Bricks : Better display of string fields on logic bricks.

Right now it’s very difficult to see the names of python modules and functions, especially if you reference something inside a package.

I agree with Kikuchiyo that this would be a great thing to have, I once experimented with randomly displacing vertices on an added object and was taken aback at how all of the previously added objects adopted the new object’s vertex positions. So allowing us to make the added objects unique will open quite a few new possibilities.

You can use LibNew, to circumvent this, but it’s a pain, so this would be useful. I’m interested in rewriting the mesh access API, so this could be something we could consider.

I think this is great, ndee. I wish I could export my games with your launcher from within Blender one day.

I almost forgot to mention.

What would also be very useful is if the partial support for global and orco coordinates were expanded to work on all three axes instead of just one, this would allow for fully automated mapping of level geometry and the creation of building games where the textures map repeats across multiple objects rather than on each object (creating a rather sizable decrease in visible texture repetition).

Option to use Your LoDs for shadows

Wow, thanks for all the feedback. I tried to aggregate some of the ideas I saw into the first post.

At this point, I think ideas that will benefit both the player and viewport are preferable, as this impacts the largest amount of users. This does not mean that I am ignoring suggestions that do not impact the viewport.

As for features that work in multitexture but not in GLSL mode, post bug reports.

The ability to have invisible objects render shadows would be nice, since we already have the ability to have materials not cast shadows now.

mipmaps disabling , i think SolarLune will aprove this lol
just kidding, really, add mipmaps disabling for exe`s, its going to mean a lot for all those people out there who make pixel-based games

I have found a way that currently works in Blender to disable mipmaps per texture. DDS textures support storing mipmaps, and those mipmaps are used instead of generating mipmaps for that texture. However, it is also possible to create DDS textures without mipmaps. In this case, the texture ends up with no mipmapping in Blender.

Yes, I noticed Shadows Only is broken again. Previously it worked with Clip Alpha.

oh wow, thats awesome, thanks for the info i will google that!

-lucki

It is a nice feature. Moguri implemented disabling mipmaps via a Python function awhile ago, but being able to disable them on a per-texture basis is also a nice feature.

@Kupoman - Sounds like a cool trick. Nice to know!

In blender 2.49 you could get those features to work by deleting the current “world” and so having no world assigned to your blend. I haven’t tried it in 2.6 but I guess it works the same.

Actually what I’d love to see is buffer shadows for the point style lamp. Cylindrical mapping of the shadows would be enough to allow 3rd person shadows, though spherical mapping would be nice.

Point light shadows can be a tricky thing. I have attempted them a couple of times in the past, and always ran into issues. Though each attempt did make it further.

Not sure about this one, but I will add it to the list anyways since this thread is for generating ideas.

Thanks for the feedback.

Improve Sound actuator to make possible following:

• Play sound (music) not from beginning and not to end (useful for dynamic bg music as in S.T.A.L.K.E.R CS game)
  • Control of pitch (useful for sound of engines of cars)
    Implement Sound sensor which triggers when Sound actuator begins/ends/loops playing the sound

And yes, Parallax Mapping +1. It can be even post-process parallax mapping for Your Phase 2 or 3

some more suggestions for ray casts:

To be able to limit ray to specific collision layers as in the collision masking and or allow option for ray cast to return multiple hits on multiple objects.