Sewing Clothes in Blender [Available in >= 2.70]

hi R_KRI, yes I understand what you mean. I don’t know of a good and easy solution to this problem.
Ideally it would not use loose edges for marking the sewing seams, it was just the easiest way I could think of to quickly add the feature.

I would prefer to be able to mark two sets of edges as a seam pair, and use that, but i’m not sure of a good way to do this.

Yeah, I thought it might be challenging to work out. I’ll just play with it as it is. It’s too good not to. :slight_smile:

Pardon the noob question guys, but is this part of cloth also an element of the El Topo work? https://vimeo.com/47504268

Is this still progressing…? Would be a nice feature.

unfortunately I haven’t had time to work on it lately.

I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong or if the patch is not working correctly. Lately, I haven’t been able to make ‘Shrinking’ work with sewing. I’ve tried by adding vertices to a vertex group - a loop or two - with a weight of 1, which I’ve added to the 'Shrinking field in the cloth section. When I run the simulation, I see no effect on the vertices in the group. All vertices behave the same, with no shrinking. I’ve tried with various values for min/max and various values for velocity and for gravity. (This with a build from the last few days. I don’t remember the exact build number)

@thesleepless. I hope you get some time soon to continue work on the patch. :slight_smile:

ahh i know there was a bug at some point where it wouldn’t do the vertex group stuff unless you had pinning enabled. try activating that option. that should be fixed in a newer patch.

Cool. I’ll try it with pinning enabled. I also thought I had the last version of the patch (0.1.2 right?), but I’ll check. Thanks! :slight_smile:

As far as I can tell, enabling pinning does not work. Tried with no vertex group, with the same as for shrinking and with a different one.

http://graphics.cs.cmu.edu/nsp/course/15-869/2006/papers/jakobsen.htm

cg.alexandra.dk/2009/06/02/mosegaards-cloth-simulation-coding-tutorial/

this is an excellent tool!

i have a question regarding the edges that we have to create between the cloth panels that are to be joined - is there a way to create them all at once or do i have to select pairs of verts in turn and create the edges one by one?

btw, completely new to blender :wink:

You can select the edges with the verts you want to join. Press w, the LoopTools and Bridge. This should leave the faces created selected. Then x, faces only.

Are there any chances this patch going into next (2.64) trunk?

It would be really good for many people…

thanks for the help! unfortunately i’m not there yet (told you i 'm new to Blender :)) i select the edge loops, hit ‘w’ but i get a Specials menu and there is no Bridge tool. i searched for Bridge with the Space Bar but it returns nothing :confused:

Ah, right. :slight_smile: I thought looptools was in Blender as standard if you use a recent version of blender from Graphical.org. Not sure, but you may have to enable it in user preferences, in the add on tab? Maybe someone can verify or.correct that? Have a look and see if you find it.

Failed to patch against latest revisions:

patching file source/blender/makesrna/intern/rna_cloth.c
patching file source/blender/blenkernel/intern/implicit.c
Hunk #1 succeeded at 1254 (offset 20 lines).
Hunk #2 FAILED at 1265.
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file source/blender/blenkernel/intern/implicit.c.rej
patching file source/blender/blenkernel/intern/cloth.c
Hunk #1 succeeded at 101 (offset -28 lines).
Hunk #2 succeeded at 741 (offset -24 lines).
Hunk #3 FAILED at 805.
Hunk #4 succeeded at 1106 (offset 25 lines).
Hunk #5 succeeded at 1142 (offset 25 lines).
Hunk #6 succeeded at 1194 (offset 25 lines).
Hunk #7 succeeded at 1219 (offset 25 lines).
1 out of 7 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file source/blender/blenkernel/intern/cloth.c.rej
patching file source/blender/blenkernel/BKE_cloth.h
Hunk #1 succeeded at 108 (offset -1 lines).
Hunk #2 succeeded at 152 (offset -1 lines).
Hunk #3 succeeded at 167 (offset -1 lines).
patching file source/blender/makesdna/DNA_cloth_types.h
patching file release/scripts/startup/bl_ui/properties_physics_cloth.py

paolo

How is this patch doing these days. Has anyone used it with the latest buld of blender?

Hi, sorry I haven’t been around much lately, busy with work.
I’ll try and get it compiling against the latest release.

You need to use Ctrl+E rather than W, then select “Bridge Two Edge Loops”

Thesleepless,
nothing to say sorry for, we must say thank you for your work!
The mine wasn’t a complain at all, just a feedback.

regards, paolo