Sequencer Addon: Trim Videos before adding them to the Timeline (In and Outpoints)

Trying out v4 I get an error using “Insert into Editing Scene” I am using b2.65 r53753. Should I be on a higher release?

Otherwise it all works as advertised!

Did you know that there is a verticle track limit? I just kept on pasting the same clip in and at track 31 you can’t add any more. Blender then begins stringing them all along track 0. I think that this is a bug…

I guess we will have to lobby for that as he has a full time job and only works on the VSE to fix bugs.

Also, EVERY nle on the market can treat audio and video (from the same source) as linked. It would be excellent if Blender would have a switchable facility for moving linked strips too. The new VSE scripts can allow various selection types but it is just additional button clicking that shouldn’t be necassary.

I agree and I guess that it shouldn’t be too hard to code. That will eliminate one of these little annoyances that the VSE has.
Strangely enough, I’ve become accustomed to it so when I try other editors from time to time (such as Kdenlive or OpenShot) it feels so unnatural! :slight_smile:

On topic, I love this script.

who doesn’t really? :slight_smile:

New Version is out:
Now the Edit Range operator can also be called from the File manager window.

Tip: Add the bpt.edit_range as a new shortcut to the file manager in user preferences input section and assign left double click.
Now you may simply double click any video in the file manager to edit the range. Like in many other NLEs :slight_smile:

Sweet improvement thanks Sunboy.

Really like the double click to open, that’s pretty cool. But silly Blender makes the file stick to my mouse after changing scenes, so I drag it away to the timeline. What have I set wrong?

Sunboy, thanx for your work on improving this great script.

In the latest version, everything seems to work fine except that pressing the ‘get back’ button doesn’t seem to function.
It throws this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "../blender-svn/script_addon_2-6x/addons/sequencer_edit_strip_with_compositor.py", line 488, in invoke
    screen_name = eswc_info.col_screens[id].name
IndexError: bpy_prop_collection[index]: index 0 out of range, size 0

If I switch manually between screens and windows, it works seamlessly.
Is it just me or is it actually a bug?

Tested with r55142 on 64bit linux

Update:
Holly cow!!! I’ve just realized that this error is returned by the current script but it references a line from the vse2copositor strip!!!
Are the scripts cross-referencing stuff? Is this to be expected or have I messed things up?

yes, there is some strange thing here, maybe the two scripts are using the same operator name and the eswc one is running instead the other (maybe it is my mistake)

(i assume you pressed the button in the trim videos panel, not the eswc by mistake…)

try to shut down eswc addon and test again…

Carlos I was unaware of such an addon and the funny thing is that I’m unable to find one in my blender installation.

And yes, pressing “get back” from the editing range screen returns this error. Haven’t pressed it while on the editing screen but getting any error(s) there would be reasonable. Any ideas?

oh, sorry, the eswc addon is Edit Strip With Compositor… it is just too long to write each time XD

i renamed the operators in the new version, it should be fixed…

Ok, in trying to answer my own question, I looked at the script and realized that eswc is the acronym for the edit strip with compositor addon! :0
Assuming that you referred to “eswc” addon itself, I disabled it and gave the movie editor addon another go.
Interestingly enough, the “get back” button disappeared from the UI. The script remained fully functional though, i.e. trimming in the designated screen and manually switching to the master scene.
I was able to use both scripts in tandem, without any problems, up until the latest script update (say 2-3 days ago).

As always, thanx for coding, debugging, and improving it! :slight_smile:

Carlos, I’ve tried the latest version and the problem is solved! :slight_smile:

However, it gives the following error when pushing the “edit range” button:

File "../blender-svn/script_addon_2-6x/addons/SequencerIOP_0_5.py", line 343, in invoke
    zoom = bpy.ops.sequencer.view_selected()
  File "../blender-svn/build_linux/bin/2.66/scripts/modules/bpy/ops.py", line 188, in __call__
    ret = op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
RuntimeError: Operator bpy.ops.sequencer.view_selected.poll() failed, context is incorrect

Regardless of the error, though, it works as expected! :slight_smile:

I know that the Get Back button does move you from one VSE timeline to another (notionally both editing paradigms) but it would be conceptually better to make the buttons source/master switches.

That is, people may be confused by seeing just another timeline, but if you called it an edit “Source” the name would imply the function. Similarly if you have a button in the Source panel saying “Master” instead of get back, people will know where they are navigating too.

This would require re labeling the button in the master panel too.

Further to the concept of classifying the windows/setups differently.

When starting, could the script add and modify a theme of another VSE layout, creating a “source viewer”? Even if only to increase the background brightness to a different shade. This way the user would have another indication that they are in a different ‘mode’.

Excellent suggestion and rather trivial to implement.

Hmmm, this script is broken for me on recent release. Anyone else find this will install but not appear when file browser open?

Will be in the next version, good idea.

In a Build from yesterday the script works. Though for some reason the Movie Manager does not appear in the sequencer panel sometimes. I haven’t found out why this happens yet.

That’s what I was looking for. Couldn’t find it anywhere and I could not make it appear.

I don’t experience any problems with the panel showing up on the UI but I do get the following errors lately:

File "../blender-svn/script_addon_2-6x/addons/SequencerIOP_0_5.py", line 343, in invoke
    zoom = bpy.ops.sequencer.view_selected()
  File "../blender-svn/build_linux/bin/2.66/scripts/modules/bpy/ops.py", line 188, in __call__
    ret = op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
RuntimeError: Operator bpy.ops.sequencer.view_selected.poll() failed, context is incorrect

This error appears when pressing the edit strip button to load the new scene for trimming.
Regardless of the errors, though, the script seems to work.

Little tip if you use the edit range operator from the file browser, assigned it to a mouse click and get the problem that the file gets “dragged” every time:

set two commands: one file.select operator that is activated by press of your mouse event in the File Browser Main section and the usual bpt.edit_range which is executed by release in the file browser (global) section.

On this way you avoid to use a double click to first select the file you want to edit and then call the edit range operator. Double clicking confuses blender in that case…