Sea Falcon

Thank you, DCBloodhound :slight_smile:
In the previous renders the problem with the edge-flow directly below the cockpit glass was very obvious. Subd was playing it’s own game there. But after my rework of that area I’m really happy with the edge flow in this area. I’m glad that you like it!

This looks so cool, you should make a mother ship in the same style!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/nautilus_4466540.jpg

You know that red shader looks great on the inside scenes… but not sure if I’m liking what it is looking like on the outdoor one you posted…Its like it turned it flat with almost appearing like a pinkish hue… at least on my monitor. I wonder if a different camera angle would change anything, or maybe rotating the HDRI on the z axis in the mapping node.

Thank you, martin.hedin, that’s a tempting idea :slight_smile:

And there are really similarities between the famous nautilus and my little falcon, although I didn’t had the nautilus in mind, when I created my ship. I personally had a more stationary home base in mind, but let me think a while about this mother ship idea.

It’s interesting that you picked the nautilus with her old metal and kind of steam punk charm. Because the second ship in this animation is this one. They will be opponents.

I modelled that second ship some months ago. And now that I see this two ships together I see that I have to work on the level of details on the second ship.

@Harleynut, thank you.

Yes, good point on the color. This shader relies heavily on the reflections. I changed the color of the shader in the next render to make it more red again.

Hey minoribus, the renders look great! It looks photoreal. On first sight, the exterior could use a bit more detailing, I’m not sure where though… or maybe it’ll look better in an environment which shows off its slick features, or maybe it’s something about the material. The interior looks superb though, very detailed!

Hi solowy, thank you much :slight_smile: I agree, the first ship does look a bit less detailed in this view. Many of the interesting parts are covered by water. Most of the scenes will take place under water. But yes, I could work on the parts that are visible if it is partially submerged like this. The question is only what to add where …

Just a tiny little update today - although it took me hours to modell this into the hull and to keep the precise edge flow that I wanted for this shape. (No, that’s not a weapon but a forward thruster for manoeuvering, when it is under water :p)

And I played with the claw. But I don’t like that. The claw is still nice, but proportions are off and it doesn’t fit to the style of the ship anymore. I have to rethink it.

Do those doors open up and the claw comes out? I kind of like it… reminds me what I was trying to do with the “magic box” on the slot machine.

Minoribus… I would suggest finding a different HDRI … this one is wreaking havoc on the coloring of you fine vehicle. I see this great looking color in you last render of the 3… and when it’s in the environment (first render) the color goes to hell. It’s got to be the toning in the hdri is just not playing nice with your vehical (at least in my opinion)

I’ve just now gotten caught up with this thread, fantastic work, Minoribus! Really exceptional attention to detail.

I do agree that the exterior material of the sub suffers a bit in the sunrise/sunset scene. It could be due to the hdri, but it may also simply be that that’s simply how the ship would look in such an environment. The interior HDRI gives us very distinct areas of light and dark, whereas this environment is much more open, much brighter, and without very defined highlights and shadows. Instead we have these soft gradations of light.

If you’re set on a sunrise/sunset setting, then that’s fine, I’m sure the shader can be tweaked a bit; I’d be curious to see what a more midday setting would look like. You’ll still have a lot of light, of course, but the lighting will be much more contrasted, and the stronger shadows and reflections might help define the form more, as well as give us stronger reflections.

Whatever you prefer to use, it’s looking terrific so far!

Harleynut, yes that was the plan. The doors open, the claw comes out and grasps the prey. That’s what was leading me to the name of the “sea falcon” :slight_smile:

James Candy, thank you. Much appreciated

Concerning the lighting, i tend to agree to both of you. This is a highly reflective material with all this glossy nodes. So much of the color is defined by the environment. The HDRI (which is the same that I use in my harbour scene) is a sunrise scene, as you said, James. And in my opinion this colors are correct. This material looks like this in the sunrise. I believe that cycles calculates this correctly. But - it also isn’t very unappealing. At this point I’m with you Harleynut.

Today I did not have much time for this, but I worked on the claw. I tried to line it up with the style of the ship. And I think, that should work well now.

The doors open, the claw comes out and grasps the prey

I like it… but what will be the prey…only minoribus knows for sure :slight_smile:

The claws turned out great, and I like how you have integrated some of the parts with the body styling / colors. Is that going to be an emmitting light in the “palm” of the claw?.. if not, I could envision a little flashing/ or glowing light in that palm going off when the claws open up to attack its prey :slight_smile:

Hey Minoribus. I must say that i really like the design of your Sea Falcon, nice clear geometry. You really can imagine the falcon “flying” through the water. I also like how you picked up the design of the boat and reused it for your falcon claw so it looks quite homogen and “right” together.

And i have to admit that you made a really great job at texturing your cockpit (but only on the right side in my opinion. the left side has to many different colors and does not really look like it was made for your ship. But im sure this is a matter of taste, other will like it i´m sure).

Your female character will get a adequate vehicle for sure.

Thank you Topper!

But I must say that - after rethinking this a while - I’m close to abandon the whole idea of the claw. It should look like a falcon, but it does look like a chicken whenever I mount it on the ship. The second thing is, that the ship itself does not look like a transporter. So the whole idea doesn’t work - unfortunately :frowning:

The second thing is, that the ship itself does not look like a transporter. So the whole idea doesn’t work - unfortunately :frowning:

I would rethink that… it’s a cool looking ship and it can look like anything you choose to make it, don’t you think? I would like to see what it looks like with the claws attached to the ship.

Ok, here it is with a provisional mounting of the arm and claw.

Falcon or chicken … that’s the question now :confused:

We’ll call it a “falken” :slight_smile: But remember minoribus, I would imagine that the claws are only going to pop out and do there thing at very select times during your animation. The viewer is going to be so focused on watching the thing come out and grab whatever it is going to grab, they aren’t going to be evaluating how it looks as close you are with these still images.

Personally I think it’s a fun concept… I assume there will be two of these claws (unless its a handicapped Falken :slight_smile: ) At the end of the day, after you rig and test it for animation you still don’t like it… than scrap the idea and just leave it in the doors closed position.

@minoribus Hey, the claw looks great but I’m inclined to agree with you. The Falcon is to sophisticated to be actually picking anything up old school style. However, you now have the doors for a weapons bay. And, who knows what that could lead to.

Amazing ship. I bet the captain is turning green with envy. I like the claw myself, like Harley says, it is a fun idea. But I can also see where you are coming from. Either way… Great work so far!

Harleynut, theoldgost and MonkMonk, thank you for taking the time to think about this problem.

@Harleynut, I laughed about the “falken”, but I’m afraid, this janus-faced thing isn’t the real thing :). And believe me, I tried two of the claws some days ago, and that thing would have been called a “falicken” :slight_smile:

@theoldghost, sometimes it better to bury an idea soon instead of riding a dead horse. My thoughts are going in the same direction One or two little dinghy bots, which the falcon can release out of a smaller bay. This could act autonomously like cruise missiles. That’s most probably the best solution. So I don’t have to abandon the whole idea.

@Monk, good to hear you and and to see your little brave avatar again. I’m glad that you like it!

Reference picture for the screws of the falcon: