robo-crawfish

Very nice, but

thank you all for your feedback. really nice to hear;-)

there is no greater project or something behind this one. i just had the idea to remodel an organic form with technical looking stuff to get a cool image. maybe ill do some other robo-animal in future... it isnt rigged and actually i didn`t plan to animate it!

so here is one more reder. i added some kind of rocky, natural ground. it`s basically a particle system on a plane (1000 samples took about 5 hours to render)
hope you like it as well

very nice! Would be interesting perhaps to do a bit of an action pose (If it’s rigged), and maybe even under water.

I am currently trying to give certain objects that kind of shiny, plastic, white texture that you have posted above ( the texture on the lobsters back). What nodes did you use to get that texture?

It looks smashing Btw.

Very nice render. It makes me wonder what the %$#& I’m doing wrong!

thanks!

its not rigged at the moment. maybe ill do that any time (i`ve never rigged anything, so it would be my first one:eyebrowlift2:)

the white shiny plastic is very simpel, just a mix of glossy and diffuse shader…
here`s a picture with the nodes:

Very, very nice. A very clever concept as well. How about a steampunk version, with loads of brass, chrome and shiny red paint?

A couple of points.

Add some screws and rivets. There is almost nothing holding all the bits in place. Screws and rivets add relevant detail and complexity, which helps to “sell” the image.

Secondly, I use the noodle below for making plastic. You could argue that it’s not physically correct, but you will find it’s really easy to configure to get exactly the degree of glossiness you want.

Well deserved addition to the gallery.

Very Impressive model and render! And congratiolations on the banner-feature!

This setup is interesting. Why are you using the add node? Is this different from just a mix shader, mixing a diffuse and a glossy?

Your render looks gorgeous!

This is absolutely amazing! I think it’s ready to be used in the new Matrix movie? :stuck_out_tongue:

That looks awesome! I assume that you are at least using a GPU?

WoW!! I’m VERY impressed with your lobster! Great work. It inspires me to push harder as I progress in Blender basics.

Well this makes me wonder how long you’ve been using blender, sorry if it was in the op and I missed it. But it is amazing, and encourages me to learn as much about blender as I can, it will take some time before I’ll get to your level of skill I’m sure.

Very impressive images! I love the model, materials and everything about it. Could be used straight away in any upcoming sci-fi movie (well, I hope you’ll rig it and maybe even use it in a movie or animation some day.)

I’d be very interested to hear more about those two node setups. Why a the add shader instead of just mixing them? And with the other: why the fresnel input? where is the difference to just mixing via the factor amount?

hi guys,

thanks for your feedback.

when you simply mix the two white shaders (one diffuse and one glossy) and you want to have a shiny, glossy surface, you need to turn up the amount of the glossy shader within the mix shader. when you do this, the surface will get darker as well (a pure white glossy shader with no roughness has dark reflections-dependant on your world settings-). so to get a pure white one, you need to turn down the glossy amount in the mix shader (in this case 0.03). when you link this mix shader with your output, the surface doesn`t look glossy…

so you add another glossy shader, to get a reflective surface, without affecting the white color

@danilius: the steampunk version is a good idea. maybe i`ll do this
@troubled: no GPU, i rendered it with CPU (took 5 hours)

ive been using blender for half a year now. so actually im also a beginner:)!

Woah, frequen, I’ve also been using Blender for half an year…How long did it take you to model?

AMAZING. Totally inspired. Can you talk about how long you’ve been working in blender?

It looks great, I love it. What I would love even more is a 1080p version of your third image that I could use as a wallpaper. If you released the *.blend that would be even cooler but I understand if you don’t want to because some people might plagiarize your work. Anyhow, I finally made an account just to tell you that and make this request. Kudos.

thanks guys!

hard to tell how long the hole process took. i guess the modeling took about 6 to 8 hours, but i can`t say that exactly…

@tho1efx: all of the images i posted here ar 1080p. you just have to open them in a new tab!