Rigify problems

To Woody173, I have been playing with rigs recently, and for characters I love the Pitchipoy rig. It can be a bit more complicated (definitely follow the tutorial when you are making it) but it gives a good face and body rig, and creates some good controls. Not sure what anyone else thinks, but I like it :slight_smile:

Okey Dokey. ive gone for the easy as usual and just turn it to wire as you suggested. Going slightly off topic though I have started doing the facial shape keys so i can do the faial rig, but i am having a few queries concerning the mouth movements. I am adjusting the mouth shapes for the phonemes but want to know if their is a way of linking the seperate layers of the teeth to the face so i can do one shape key for all the movements at once. I hope I have explained my quandary.

You could join your teeth, tongue, inner mouth, etc., to your main body model BEFORE creating any shapekeys. The reason for this is, if you change your model after you create the basis shapekey, all other shapekeys will be “broken”. This is because you changed the vertex order, number and position of the model. Blender makes your shapekeys work based off of the “basis” shapekey. Every other shape is a shape relative to that basis.

I hope that make sense.

With that said, I prefer to keep the inner mouth and all it’s trappings on a separate layer. I find it easier to work with. It will still be parented to your main rig. Each separate mesh will need an armature modifier on it.

Advice on “phonemes.”:

Do not base your facial rig on phoneme shapes, rather, base your rig on shapes that can create those phonemes. Then you can create a pose library of phonemes based on the position of the bones you used to create those shapes.

Look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN-GnqSKCgU Watch all of the parts. (1-7, I believe.)

It should give you a good idea on the work involved in creating an advanced facial rig.

You don’t need to get this advanced. Keep it simple to start with. You can always add more shapes and controls as you go.

Could i send you what ive done so far. followed your instructions and the tutorials to make my face keys and i must be doin something wrong again. the teeth dont move with the head and the face deforms funny when i move the head too. Also when i try and attach the facial rig to the control rig so it moves along with the head it offsets when i come to use it in pose mode. . Still a few shape keys to do on the arms etc but let me know what you think so far and any advice would be really appreciated.
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/33738

I’ll take a look. No promises on when I can get an answer back to you. :slight_smile:

No probs still tryin to sort out the shape keys for the arms anyway. whenever you can would be great.

You are deffinately getting closer, my friend! Your topology looks much better. You now have loops around the eyes, mouth and nose. Good Job!

I reparented your facial controls to the DEF-head in place of the head. I know, that does not sound like it should make a differance, but the head bone is a control bone. It’s placement in edit mode is different then the deforming head bone. That’s why it was jumping when you went into Pose Mode. Now it does not do that.

Some bad news. I noticed a problem with your teeth and eyebrow meshes. The teeth had the normals flipped the wrong direction. This is what was making them greyish-black in the display. After I recalculated the normals I also clicked on Remove Doubles, in the mesh tools. It removed over 200 verticise! This might come back to bite us in the rear. For now, everything looks like it’s going to work. The basis may be screwed up.

The worse case is you may have to delete all of your shapekeys (and the basis) and remake them. DON"T DO IT YET! Make sure there is an issue first. The good news is, you have all of the controlers and drivers figured out, so it should be quick if you need to go that route.

Your teeth and eybrow meshes would not follow the head because they had no weights assigned to them. I assigned 100% weight to DEF-head. They should follow now.

Keep it up. Looks like you are getting close!

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/33747

DanPro, your a star. I should only have a couple of more questions…bet your getting fed up of me now? you said you reweighted the teeth and eyebrows to the DEF head bone and see it does sort of work. But when i rotate the head backward and forward the brows and teeth move too high and low so if the mouth was open the teeth wont be seen and the brows dissapear somewhere inside the head. So could you tell me how you did this procedure so i can mess about attaching them to the DEF neck or something. I have also created a quick walk cycle to check the animation and the head is definately moving funny and looks like the face as been hit by a spad. LOL when the body moves backward and foward its like parts of the head are stationary and the rest moves along with the body.

You also mentioned about the normals. I dont know what they are or how i might have made the error. I think i have found in the manual how to get rid of them but would be nice to figure out how i made the error so i dont do it again.

I really appreciate your help, and i bet you feel like you have done all the work for me LOL, I definately owe you a bottle of scotch. LOL LOl

The reason the teeth do not look like they are working is actually because your face mesh is not properly weighted. (The teeth are working as they should. It’s an illusion.) If you select your main body mesh and go into weight paint mode, you will see that your head and face are not 100% weighted to the DEF-head bone. Also, the DEF-Neck bone has too much influence on face and head. I would remove all influence from the characters face and jaw and anything above on DEF-Neck, while adding 100% to the Def_head. This is what is causing the distortion. Your neck bone is actually fighting for control of those vertices. You do not want that.

I noticed that your center line vertices are also off the mark on part of your face. This will mess with x-mirror. To fix it, delete half of the mesh again and apply a mirror modifier. You’ll need to delete all of your shapekeys because you cannot apply a modifier to a mesh with shapekeys present. If you enable clipping on the modifier, you can select the center verts and move them over in X (G+X) and they will stick to the world center.

Normals are the direction that your polygons are facing. Basically, which side is up on a single face polygon. When modeling, it’s easy to have them flipped in the wrong direction. You can recalculate normals in edit mode by selecting all of your vertices and hit Recalcutate Normals in the Shading/UV tab. (T-Panel)

In the N-Panel, you can turn on a display that will let you see the direction. Under Mesh Display you can click one of three icons that will display there direction. (The icons look like a cube. Click the last one to display the face direction.)

I also want to add that I think you should put a few more edge loops close to the joints on the arms and wrists. You will get better results if you have one loop at the joint and one at either side and close to that loop. This will give you three edge loops or two face loops, depending how you want to look at it. There is quite a bit of “squishing” going on at your joints. Some of this can be fixed by making sure Preserve Volume is always checked in your armature modifier. The additional edge loops and proper weight painting will help as well.

I can’t stress enough how important it is to have a finalized mesh, with calculated normals, applied location/rotation/scale, removing doubles and any other oddities before you start rigging and making shapekeys. Then, the first order of business is weight painting. Only then should you add facial shapekeys, or correctional shapekeys for bending.

That’s all I can think of for now.

Good Luck!

Hi DanPro. I have done all you have advised but now have a problem with the facial rig. Done the shape keys etc but when i try and join the facial rig to the rigify rig so i can parent it to the head bone the shapes just explode everywhere…mmmmm any advise.
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/33846

This is the file…try and join the two rigs and see if happens to you too.

Your facial rig has unapplied scale on it. (.017, this should be 1.00) You fix this like you do a mesh object. CTRL-A Apply loc/rot/scale in Object Mode. It will still explode, but you can select the pieces in Pose Mode and ALT R,G and S to clear there transforms. They will pop back to the face. Your bones in the facial rig have no main parent. Not a problem because they will after you join the armatures. Parent all the bones to DEF-head. (In Object Mode select the Rigify rig and your Facial rig and CTRL-J to join. Then in EDIT Mode Select all of the facial bones and then DEF-head. CTRL-P to parent.) Off course pick keep offset. The deformation bones are the backbone of the rig. Everything is made to move and manipulate them.

Also, you have unfinished business with weight painting. Leaving everything as it is with the results you got from “autoweighting” is a bad idea. For one, Rigify’s two bone system will never be properly weighted by Autoweights. You will have to adjust them. A tip on how to do that is to select the DEF-whatever.01 bone and paint it like DEF-whatever.02 does not exist. Paint it like the two are a single bone. The second bone (.02) is the “twist” bone. You would then paint twist bone to get proper twist deformations. Like in the first step, you would ignore the .01 bone and treat the 02 as if .01 and .02 are one single bone.

I like to set up an action (animation) with a few poses on the body part I am weight painting. This will give you feedback on how well you are doing and how the weight, or lack of weights are effecting the mesh. This two bone system is on the first digit of every finger, the thighs, shins, upper arm and forearm. The rig control that effects the twist can change, however. On the upper arm and thigh you can twist the arm or leg by rotating the upper arm and thigh control. (In FK) On the forearm and shin, you twist by rotating the foot or hand.

Weight painting can be a daunting task for a beginner. Don’t get frustrated. Keep at it. It often take quite a bit of time to do properly. The good news is, once weighted, you will have very little to “fix” using shapekeys.

Good Luck!

HI DanPro. I promise im nearly done.
I am sending you a file with my character so far. I have followed all your instructions tried reweighting everything, deleted my face shape keys so i can take another look at them later and tried a few pose scenarios. I am now trying to do a shape key so i can lift the legs and the Vest deforms properly without the shirt poking through. I followed my instruction vid but it doesnt seem to be working.

Have i missed something or will it not work for what i am trying to do.

I attached the shape key to the Left foot IK and am trying to lift it vertically but you will see that in my file I have left it exactly as is so you can see my problem. If i can work out the left leg i should be able to work out any deformation problems with the other leg and arms etc. I dont expect it to be perfect as Its not a projetc for sale or anything.

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/33883

Many thanks
Woody

OK, you need to think this out logically. If you drive your shapekey with the IK foot control, what happens when you use FK? For these types if corrections you need to base your shapekey drivers off of the position of the deform bones. Rigify has 400+ bone in it, but the most important ones are the deform bones.

Once again I must stress how much you need to be working on Weight Painting. Weight paint, weight paint, weight paint! Proper weighting will solve 95% of your issues. Trust me.

I should have mentioned this before, but, I think it may be a good idea to finish your main body model. You would think that you could save some time by leaving the legs and feet out of your mesh since you will be hiding them with clothing anyways, but if they are present and properly weight painted, you can easily transfer those weight to the clothing. (Your clothing will deform like your body mesh and you should not need to do many corrections with a few clicks!) I hope that makes sense. You will save yourself a lot of time in the end if you finish your body mesh.

I am going to do some clean up on the body mesh weighting so you have an example of what to look for. (I won’t be doing it all. Sorry. It just takes too much time and I have my own projects that need the same treatment.) Also, I will show you an easy way to create a shapekey driver that will work with IK or FK.

A couple of quick notes about other things: You have multiple armature modifiers on some of your clothing. You only need one and it should point to your main rig, not the metarig. You should always have the armature modifier first in the stack. It needs to be above subsurf. (The exception is if you are using a mirror modifier. Then mirror first, armature mod second.) You almost always should have Preserve Volume checked in you armature modifier. This checkbox will help keep your mesh from squishing and crumpling.

We will put all out effort into the main body mesh first. The clothing will come after. (And quickly, once it’s properly weight painted. :slight_smile: .)

It may be a day of two before I can get this back too you.

In the mean time, you may want to play with the CGCookie Flexrig. http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/61707

I just found what may have been tripping you up with the weightpainting. I see that you have made new vertex groups for your mesh. You did not need to do this, and it may be the whole issue. When you parent the mesh to the rig, a vertex group is made for every deform bone in the rig on the mesh. The bones are not visible on the armature unless you turn on that bone layer. (It’s on the second row, third from the last button in armature properties. (Little man icon. Bone layers, not scene layers.) The vertex group name will be DEF_whatever. You can see these if you 1. select the mesh, go to the triangle icon (Next to the wrench modifier icon), then look for Vertex Groups.

These are your main deforming vertex groups. Every bone in the rig named DEF-xxx, will move the vertices in that group. For example the DEF-head bone will move the vertex group, DEF-head on your mesh. Make sense?

Sorry I did not catch that earlier.

Anyways, one problem at a time. We need your finished body mesh, then we will go to step two.

Here is a link to a file I have created to go through the steps of weightpainting and creating shapekeys for Rigify.

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/33978

Step one:

Open the file. You should see that layer one is active. Also, you should see a simple character on screen. Select the character mesh.

Hit Alt-A to start playing the animation. (Alt-A will also stop the animation. You could use the play or stop buttons in the timeline or scrub through the animation by selecting the green timeline indicator and moving it back and forth. RMB to select the green bar and then scrub.)

This first mesh is rigged with Rigify and parented using Auto-Weighting. You will notice that the mesh crumples and does not look good when bending throughout my crappy little animation. Feel free to orbit around the model using the mouse wheel to scroll in/out or press MMB to orbit. Numpad 1 will bring you back to front orthographic view.

One way to make this better is to check Preserve Volume on the Armature Modifier. Look for the wrench icon, and find the armature modifier in the properties panel. (This should be visible at start up by the way I saved the file.)

One quick note about the armature modifier: Always have this modifier FIRST in the modifier stack. One exception I can think of is if you are using a mirror modifier on your mesh. In that case, you would want it just below the mirror mod. Use the white arrows in the modifier to move it in the stack.

Click Preserve Volume on and off throughout the animation to see the difference. Immediately, you should see it is quite a bit nicer with it on.

Look at the left arm and notice how terrible the arm twist is. Also, the hips cave into themselves when the model lifts her legs. You should also notice the bad twisting on the right leg and the mesh of the calves going through the thighs on the high front kick.

Step Two:

Select layer two. Select the mesh on layer two. Press ALT_A to watch the animation. You should see a huge difference in the bending.

This is a copy of the mesh on layer one. The only difference is that I have weighted it correctly. (Or closer to correct. I won’t say it’s perfect, but better then Auto-Weighting.)

Step Three:

Let’s look at the differences in the weight painting of both models. Select layer one again and this time using Shift, select the layer below it. This in the layer the rig is on. Select any bone on the rig. You will see that there are some green bones visible. (This is because I have enabled the deform bone layer in the armature options. It’s the third layer from the last and on the bottom. Bone Layers, not Scene Layers.) Select a green bone ( they will all have the prefix DEF_) to see the weighting.

You will notice that the thighs, shins, forearms and upper arms have two bones instead of one. This is the main reason Auto_Weighting fails and must be corrected. Rigify uses this two bone system so we have an extra “weight-map” to do twisting motions. You can see in the animation when the right legs twist inward, the second bone rotates, but the first one stays stationary. (Frames 60-120. Also the upper arm does the same from frame 1-60.)

To see how to correctly weight the bones, look at the mesh on layer two. Following the steps above, select layer two and shift select the armature layer. Select the mesh and go into Weight-Paint Mode.

I won’t be going through all of the bones, but I will comment on a few key spots.

First, let’s look at the hips. The auto-weighted mesh had a terrible squishing that happens when the leg is lifted. To correct this, I weighted the hips in layer two to have weights closer to 100%. (red) You can see that I painted an “old man underwear” shape on the hips. These higher weights and the shape those weights make is what is making the second mesh deform better. Also, I reduced the weights from DEF_thigh.01 (and the spine) on the vertices that I wanted the hips to control and retain there “natural” shape.

Next let’s look at the thighs. You will notice that I have red weights on DEF-thigh.01.L all the way past DEF-thigh.02.L. Basically, I treat DEF-thigh .01 and .02 like they are one single bone when it comes to weighting. The fall of for the weights is at the shoulder and at the elbow, NOT in the middle like the auto-weighted version. Def_thigh.02.: is the “twist” bone. I weight it like .01 does not exist. Generally I make poses or animations so I can test this twisting action. Then I start with a high weight at one end and slowly reduce those weights as I work my way back. Always checking that the vertices and edge loops have a natural and even twist.

A few more pointers about weighting a Rigified mesh:

If you will be using shapekeys for a facial rig, it’s important to remove any weights from the shoulders, neck, and chest from your head bone. DEF-head should have 100% (red) weights from the top on the head to the bottom of the jaw. Auto-weighting will often put small amounts of weight from the neck, chest, shoulders and sometimes even the upper arms in the head. If they are not removed, your facial shapekeys will get distorted when you move those other bones. Trust me. Remove those weights!

My example model does not have a face so it’s difficult to show this. In this case, the auto-weighted mesh did a fair job of not putting weights from the neck, chest and shoulders too high in the head, but it’s often not the case. Also, if you have a heavier character, auto-weighting often does a poorer job and will under and over weight nearly every bone.

Weight_painting is a tedious job. It’s also not a lot of fun the first few times you do it. It is a very important step in making your character come to life, so the effort will pay off in the end. Also, if you plan to add clothing to your models, having a properly weighted base mesh will make transferring those weights to the clothing simple and precise. In most cases, you will only have to do minor touch ups to the clothing mesh weight-paint to have them deform well with the body mesh.

Last, while proper weight painting is crucial and critical, it will often not get you 100% to where you want to be. It will get you 95% of the way there in most cases. Then next step is to add corrective shapekeys to get that last bit of polish on the mesh. Remember that these shapekeys will be derived from your finished/weighted mesh, so you need to completely finish and be happy with your weight-painting before going to the next step.

Next post for shapekeys and drivers…

Corrective Shapekeys and Drivers:

Step one:

On layer six I have yet another copy of the mesh. This one has shapekeys created on it and drivers to apply those shapekeys. The layer below this mesh has a copy of the rig. I added a few bones to this rig to show a alternate method of applying shapekeys. (Named Cor-mesh and Cor-rig)

First, with layer six selected, watch through my crappy animation and notice the differences the shapekeys make. You should notice that I added a bicep bulge to the arm, I fixed the mesh of the calves to squish into the thigh and I corrected some the extreme bending of the thighs when she high kicks or does the “splits”.

With the mesh selected, click the triangle icon so the vertex groups and shapekeys are visible. If you scrub through the animation, you should see the values of the shapekeys increase or decrease depending on the movement.

Select the rig layer with shift to enable you to see the rig. Select any bone on the rig. You should notice that I do not have the deform bones layer on. Instead, I have some other big green bones enabled. These are the ORG_XXX bones. These bones are a direct copy of the bones in the metarig that you placed before generating the Rigify rig. You will also notice that they look more like a real human skeleton. The thighs, shins, arms, etc., are not split into two bones. This is important because it’s this set of bones and there location and rotation that we will be basing our shapekey drivers on. The ORG bone layer is the last bone layer on the right and at the bottom.

Let’s start with a simple driver.

If you look at the top of the screen you should see a field that says “Default”. This is a screen layout menu. Click it and choose the Driver screen layout. (I saved this in the file to make it easier to set up drivers.)

Your screen should now have the graph editor on the left set to drivers, and the 3d view on the right. Select the mesh if it is not already selected. You should see the drivers panel update with new Keys. You should see Cor-mesh>Keys>Value(COR-Bicep.L),Value(COR-Bicep.R), etc.

Select COR_Bicep.L from the list. It should highlight in white. Make sure the eye icon is lit and the eye icons for the other shapes are Not lit. You should see a red line in the graph that matches the color of the eye icon. Scrub through the animation (frames 1-60), you will notice the bicep.L shapekey is getting applied to the mesh automatically.

Let’s look at the driver setup.

Look at the Drivers section in the graph editor. The first thing you should see is that I have the expression type set to “Sum Values.” This driver has only one variable so sum values is a good choice. (I should note that averaged value will give you the same result with only one variable.)

Next, you should see a checkbox, Show Debug Info. Make sure it’s checked. Directly underneath, you should then see the drivers value. The value will be dependent on where you are in the timeline and if the left arm is flexing.

Then, the variables are next. We have only one and it’s named “var” by default. If you had multiple variables, I would suggest renaming them to something more descriptive. The variable type is “Transform Channel.” (I will be showing you a Rotational Difference next example.)

Next, we need to tell Blender which bone and transform channel we want to look at. You should see a box icon. we need to select the armature first in that field. (CorrectivesRig) Then the bone in that armature. (ORG-forearm.L), the transform type (we want X-rotation) and then the space. (Local for this, not world.)

The last thing we need to look at is the driver value at the bottom. Again, like above, the driver value will depend on where you are in the timeline. Scrub the animation back and forth to see the value change.

Now for some mind bending, I will explain what that value means. If you look, you will see in parentheses, the degrees of rotation. So what the heck is that first number?

It’s the degrees of rotation expressed in radians. I won’t go through what a radian is, but I will give you a few clues on what it is. It’s a different unit of measurement to express degrees. 90 degrees is equal to 1.571 radians. 180 degrees is equal to 3.14 radians. 3.14 should ring a bell as it’s pi! So 360 degress is (pi*2) or 6.28 radians. If you want to rotate something 720 degrees, you would rotate it 12.56 radians.

I know that this may be confusing, so if it does not click, please spend some time researching radians. It’s critical that this makes sense for the next step.

Next we want to look at the graph. You should see a red line with two black dots. You can selec those black dots, (they are the keyframes) and then look at the Active Keyframes dropdown. (Directly above the driver menu.)

Select the lowest keyframe. It should be at 0,0 on the graph. In the active keyframe menu, you should see Key: Frame:0.000 and Value:)0.00.

The “Frame” is the rotation value. The value is the shapekey value.

Now select the other keyframe. Frame should be 1.571, (remember from above that 1.571=90 degrees) and the value is 1.00.

I hope that explains what all the numbers do. Read through it a few times and make sure it make sense befor going to the next method.

For the knee bend correction, I used a copy of this driver. The only change was the bone in the driver. For COR_ShinX90.L, I changed the bone to be ORG-shin.L instead of ORG-forearm.L.

This driver will work for most of the bones in the rig. Also, you could change X-Rotation to Z-Rot or Y, or whatever. I would use this on the shins, toes, forearm, and the last two digits of each finger if I needed a corrective shape for those bones. Fortunately, you should not have to do that if your weight-painting is good.

For bones that rotate on multiple axes, I would use the next method. Also, any time you need to pose your bones at extremes I would use the next method. If your character will not be doing acrobatics or yoga type posing, you can skip the next method entirely. I’ll show you anyways, so you have a more complete method and understanding of how to set drivers up using different methods.

Method Two: Rotational Difference

You may have noticed on the Cor-rig that there are four bones protruding from the hips. I made these bones and positioned them at some extreme angles for the thighs. One points straight out, the others to the sides. One thing that should be noted as is important about these bones is there parent. In this case these corrective thigh bones are parented to the hips (ORG-hip). The reason it’s important is we want the bones to follow the hip movement.

Example: With the rig arms and legs in FK and with Isolate rotation for each limb on (1.0) if you lift the leg straight up, you would be rotation the legs to make an “L” shape. If you rotate the hips in “X”, you would get the same movement and “L” shape. This ensures that if you move the hips or the leg, we get the shapekey applied in either case.

A general rule of thumb is to parent the corrective bone to the same parent as the ORG bone that you are trying to copy. I hope that is not too vague.

I positioned those bones (COR-thighX-90.L) in edit mode to match the pose mode position that I wanted to fix. The bones roll and position are key to making this work. The edit mode position must closely match the ORG-bone’s pose position. In pose mode, I locked all the translations. These bones will be used for comparison, not animation of any type. Make sure they are not checked as deform bones as well.

The driver is close to the same. Select COR-ThighX-90.L. Turn on the eye icon. Turn off any other eye icons.

The first difference is instead of Transform Channel, I selected Rotational Difference. Next we need to specify two bones to compare. Like the other driver, pick the armature, then the bone in that armature. In this case, Cor-rig and ORG-thigh.L and Cor-rig and COR-ThighX-90.L.

Then, the frame and values are different. Select one of the keyframes in the graph. When the rotational difference is zero we want the shapekey value to be 1.0. In an unrotated state (90 degrees or 1.571 radians) we want the value to be 0.0.

Take a look the COR_ThighZ-90Y-90.L shapekey driver. You will notice that the unrotated value is 2.074. The reason that value is so high is, the COR thigh bone is rotated in two directions. In this case local Z -90 and local y -90 degrees. That may also give you a hint at my naming convention. This way I know the exact position that the bone needs to be in to apply the shape key to 1.0.

That’s all I can think of for now. I really hope this helps you understand the basics of shapekey drivers and weight-painting. Any

Good Luck!

For DanPro…

Bloody Hell DanPro, you really did some serious work on my problem. Thank you so much.

I pretty much started from scratch on this model, bare in mind its not for sale or anything its just a little animation for a hobby so I dont expect it to be perfect. I definately see what you mean about the weight painting being so important, and a pain. LOL

I have followed your steps and looked at you file and really learnt a lot. I have almost got the weight painting sorted. I started on the base body mesh and made sure it was pretty much what I was looking for. Transfered the weights to the clothes as you suggested, which worked on the trousers, hat, glasses and shoes etc but I came to the shirt and Hi Vis jacket and tried to tweak it a bit and got into all sorts of mess. I dont know if my mesh for these is too low poly but they seem to jump in sharp faces as it were and isnt very accurate when i tweaked it. Im not sure if this is where i start masking bits off or wether its cos my model as a fuller mesh (FAT) and i will need to do something different. Ill send you the file anyway so you can see what i mean. Its mainly under the arms and the shoulders that are not moving right. I also tried swinging the arms like in a walk cycle and it doesnt work right then either.

Thanks again for all your help. I will get this project moving someday and its only down to your help and support. I think I would have given up by now.

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/33992

Many thanks

I need to figure out why your base body mesh has so many extra vertex groups. Is that a left over from MakeHuman?

At this point in the process, every vertex group should have the prefix DEF. I see a lot of others that do not have this prefix. We need to get rid of those for now as some of them have the same name as some rigify control bones. It’s just confusing the weight-painting at this point. (and me. :slight_smile: )

I did use MakeHuman to create some of the base mesh and have tried to get rid of some of the Vertex groups but am unsure what they control so just left them. I have tried to reposition some of the bones in the shoulders to correct the problem and it helped a little (See attached)

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/34005

I did use MakeHuman to create some of the base mesh and have tried to get rid of some of the Vertex groups but am unsure what they control so just left them. I have tried to reposition some of the bones in the shoulders to correct the problem and it helped a little (See attached) I have deleted some of the dupe vertex groups and added more vertices to the mesh on the body shirt and Hi vis jacket.

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/34006