Rigify Auto-rigging system: new and improved

Question about setting up the rig before calling GENERATE:

(BTW, I am running on the new 2.55 Beta. No problems. Running on Windows 7 32 Bit here…)

When naming the bones before you call generate… I am wondering what the best naming convention is? In Nathan’s “And here is the baked cake” demonstration, he really doesn’t tell us how he got the rig ready to be generated… So, I am making some assumptions.

I went through and renamed the arms, legs and fingers with a .L suffix. I also renamed the finger types to reflect the finger I am setting (ie Thumb, index, middle, etc). And each of these, I also give a .L suffix.

The problem is the final names that are getting generated. For example, it is HAND.L.IK… and FOOT.R.ROLL. The challenge is then the Mirror-X is not working. So, If I want to tweak the setup if the generated rig, It isn’t fixing the right side as I adjust the left side.

What naming convention is everyone else using? Or are you just renaming them to something X-Mirror accepts after Rigify is through?

The naming convention doesn’t really matter, the rig is generated based on the rigify type associated with a bone and the parent/child hierarchy of bones from there on down the chain.

The final rig names is a good point and probably one I would classify as a “bug”. I’ll talk to Nathan and see what it would take to get that fixed. Hopefully it is a quick fix, but I’d pay to get it done properly. If I can’t get in touch with him - I’ll take a stab at it myself.

I played around little a bit with rigify addon after observing Nathan’s tutorials. It is really improving greatly! What i basically did is to import meta-rig. I positioned that meta rig into my test mesh and reshaped it to fit. I removed all fingers exept thumb. I tried to leave one finger in place for hand moving, but rigify wont work if you delete fingers for me. So i need to delete all the fingers. After reshaping, moved meta-rig aside, generated rig, and did auto-bind mesh to generated rig.

Then i noticed mesh wont deform properly. It was because ik bones were included too. I need to switch off layers with ik bones and bind mesh again.

Then i had great chance to play around with rig.

Congrats, great work, Nathan! :slight_smile:

Small (pretty roughly animated) video:

https://vimeo.com/16561803

Sorry about that. I’ll change that so that it generates the names properly for x mirroring.

There is no naming convention that you need to follow. Rigify will take anything.

The only exception is that you should not start bone names with “ORG-” “DEF-” or “MCH-”, because rigify uses those internally during the generating process.

Okay, the L/R naming gets preserved properly now. Thanks for the report!

I tried this a while back and was loving it then…

support question though: how do I update with bazaar? (on linux)
I think I created a branch rather than just getting the files…

bzr update

gives me this error:

michael@michael-belle:~/rigify$ bzr update 
bzr: ERROR: branch has no revision null:
bzr update --revision only works for a revision in the branch history
michael@michael-belle:~/rigify$

EDIT:

I just ended up deleting the contents of my folder then doing

bzr init
bzr merge http://bzr.cessen.com/rigify

but there must be a better way than this!

Hi Cessen,

Looks great stuff. Wich latest GraphicAll OSX Intel version has that feature included? Can’t dee it in the builds i just downloaded (tkroo and Damien).

It took me a while to figure this out last night. Mac users, here’s the in-depth process for how to get Rigify. Hope it saves you some time:

1. Download and install bazaar
  2. Open Terminal. (Tip: Command+Spacebar brings up spotlight, just type in terminal)
  3. type in bzr init and hit enter
  4. type in bzr branch http://bzr.cessen.com/rigify/ and hit enter
  5. This should download a folder called “Rigify” to your User folder.
  6. Navigate to the Blender 2.55 application.
  7. Right Click and select “Show Package Contents”
  8. Navigate to Contents\MacOS\2.55\Scripts\Addons
  9. Put the Rigify folder into the Addons folder
  10. Launch Blender and in the User Preferences you should now be able to turn on Rigify

Waow… what terrible way to get it done! :x Yet, the feature seams just amazingly great enough to get a try! :wink:
I’ll probably ask my older son (he’s a sort of Terminal wizard… or freak…) to help me out with this scary “inside-of-the-guts” fiddling…

Thank you for your indications.

-laugh- I have the Bazaar UI installed on Windows. A couple of clicks and it is done… then I copy the resulting files over to the Mac machine.

I like using the command line, however SVN is my source control program of choice, so I didn’t want to work out all the hoops to jump through to get Bazaar working as well for the one application :wink:

Michael W:
It may seem a little tricky, since bzr is a distributed revision control system.

There are two ways you can go about it:

Initial checkout (svn style):
bzr co bzr://bzr.cessen.com/rigify
Update (svn style):
bzr update

Initial branch/clone (distributed style):
bzr branch bzr://bzr.cessen.com/rigify
Pull changes from remote repo (distributed style):
bzr pull

You can do one or the other, but mixing them doesn’t work.

Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

Is it actually capitalizing the directory name? It should be called “rigify” not “Rigify”. As someone noted earlier in the thread, the case matters.

Nah, it’s not capitalized. Typo, my bad :stuck_out_tongue:

@Almux yeah, I know, it’s super ugly, but it was the only thing I could get to work. Navigating to it via the Add-Ons user prefs gave me one of two errors: either I’d hit okay and it wouldn’t show up, or it would say that it already existed but wouldn’t be replaced (and still not show up)

I rigged and posed a big personality woman in like 30 minutes! Yay Nathan!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/189643730.png?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1289175715&Signature=d9xgt%2FYdR0rnUHrHyvs6KToszXw%3D
http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/189643730.png

rigify dont work anymore with my latest compiled rev of blender (32942).

:frowning:

somethings specials changed??

hey guys, I got it working, but I don’t understand how to use the rig. I understand it is “nathan’s rig”. can somebody point me to the best explanation of how to use the rig?

Gg!
:wink:
Well, learning scripting on top of all is (to me) a very time-eating (and stressing) matter… I think one sole person cannot do absolutely everything in life and still being very good with it… :o
Or maybe, i’m lazy…
But in time i get my son to come home and have a dirty Terminal job done, there might be another cool patch or installation method pulled out Cessen’s magic hat!
;D

EDIT: And, btw, can’t see your picts (must be something wrong with uploads/server, i guess)

Heehee, I think it got pulled because it was PG-13. Maybe if it’s got a disclaimer.

DISCLAIMER: This image is PG-13, only click if your parents say it’s okay!!!
http://twitpic.com/34wq1e

Fixed. It was a minor python api change.

That shouldn’t be the case. I just tested here and it works fine. I don’t think I changed anything in the code…

Cessen, I have played with the addon for a while and I really love it (I have yet to use it with a mesh, but by itself it works like charm).

However, this thread has turned into ‘how to make bazaar work’ and somehow rigify is left out. It would be great to have every once in a while a zip with major updates available.