Return of the old features BI in the new issue (as a wish)

I asked all to write on a subject, but not the competition between render
It is compelled to answer attacks… excuse

You can’t post three ugly renders that could just as easily be done in a real-time game engine and expect that to be proof that BI should get more attention…

You completely misunderstand BI and how it ties into and depends on the rest of Blender at the code level. No one wants to add or change things because it’s a disgusting mess of 90s code, and updating even the simplest things takes a herculean effort. The whole reason Cycles exists is because BI is in such a sorry state. It was literally easier to start over than to modernize it.

m9105826, what you think about BI new acceleration structures (2.5 and hi)? You really think is simple code?

You can’t post three ugly renders that could just as easily be done in a real-time game engine and expect that to be proof that BI should get more attention…

:slight_smile: where is yours game shaded analog pictures? It is path tracing lake in Cycles, but in standard Blender Internal produced with one simple material group node connected to all materials in Scene :slight_smile:

2.5x was when everyone realized that BI just wasn’t worth continuing development on. The 2.5 update went on concurrently with Sintel, which spawned the render25 branch, which was a colossal failure, mainly due to how awful and convoluted the code base is. And compared to advanced features, yes, acceleration structures are simple.

As far as game analogs, just look up anything from UE4 or CryEngine. Both long ago left BI behind in terms of quality in materials and lighting.

Blender Internal is a mess according to coders which makes it hard to maintain and especially to extend it. That’s the reality and I think it should be clear that I am not talking about photo realistic rendering in that context. It doesn’t matter what you can produce with it, you can’t expect major updates for it. That’s just a fact.

m9105826, do you really think that these pictures were obtained simplified method?

It doesn’t matter what you can produce with it, you can’t expect major updates for it. That’s just a fact.

I also don’t write about cardinal updatings. There is enough return of some old functions and small editings in a code: like expansion of range of AA, etc.
Really this is small wishes:

1. return texture plugins support
  2. upgrade AA sampling
  3. Pynodes

N2 is first priority

As far as game analogs, just look up anything from UE4 or CryEngine. Both long ago left BI behind in terms of quality in materials and lighting.

Exactly !
And in speed of course.
This should be the way to go.

FileStatue.blend (1.11 MB) for play…

Attachments

Small wishes which take far more time to develop than you would expect, especially if the code is a mess.

Small wishes which take far more time

What you think about great wishes like full NURBS modeling support ? :slight_smile:

NURBS have nothing to do with Blender Internal. What I think is not relevant for this thread.

How about pipeline nodes?

I think I made my point clear enough.

Radiosity was removed in 2.4 because it was a hacky, slow kludge that could irreversibly mess with topology. It worked, but the implementation left a lot to be desired. So it was removed in favor/search of better solutions.

Texture plugins were removed because, well, no one really wrote any. And if they did, it would be just as easy (and more GPL-safe) to get them distributed within Blender itself.

Python nodes for materials were dropped in the 2.5 event system refactor with the “Python everywhere” paradigm and the changeover to Python 3. For a long time that’s been planned/promised to come back, but there’s a lack of motivation to do so because it’s a non-trivial task. We do have Python nodes now… they’re just not built into Blender’s render system.

Bumping up the anti-aliasing values (a new, additional request of yours) is pretty easy, codewise, but how high is acceptable? Isn’t it easy enough to render at a larger image size and scale down?

The short answer is that these features were dropped for good (or at least, justifiable) reasons. Of the 4, one of them has been meant to come back… but it’s not an easy thing to add.

Personally, I’d keep every one of those features in the dustbin if I could get the old OOPS diagram back. :stuck_out_tongue:

Reading the whole threat…

Let me put in a few words.
BI is most likely no longer of development interest.
However, i’m not sure what directions some new development will endup.

There is a push to go to a slightly higher openGL version for viewport rendering.
With that i can imagine alternate rendering for game development, fast games are usually not raytraced games.
But a model of a scene, can be raytraced and then be baked, and then be shown in non traced way (in like blender texture view).
That might be enough for creating openGL based game assets, or Blenders game engine. It will have a few more options then the blender 2.72 viewports. Allready the goosberry team added DOF (field of depth) i can imagine such engine can have it to optionally.

There is also a project (in early start, looking for coders etc), to add a non realistic render engine to blender, the NPR type, they planned for a more layer like aprouch of material, and probably will not use nodes, or in a complete different way. I think it would be ideal for cartoon rendering, and it might happen that this layered aprouch could be ideal for game rendering too. … sorry that i cannt remember the name of this project but they want non realistic renders (a lot people dont understand the value of it; people who are most likely not into NPR animations :wink: a lot of games dont use realistic render engines either )

The subject is that he claims to have developed a node-based technique that brings true, physical GI to renders done in the old internal engine (even creating caustics).

Aha, creating refractive caustics :yes:

Attachments

Which doesn’t solve the maintainability issue in Blender Internal. But who cares about facts!

Which doesn’t solve the maintainability issue in Blender Internal. But who cares about facts!

In facts upgradind Blender Internal depends only on desire of developers. No desire - no upgradings. That is all.

For produce caustics you only need make Lamps visible in raytracing + my nodegroup setup…