Rendering interiors and render engines 2015

I don’t know maybe you’re right it needs further investigation

Vray standalone costs: 250€ +dongle/VAT/shipping!
AFAIK that makes about 300€ final price!

Thea costs 295€ without VAT , so maybe they have a couple of Euros difference.

On the other hand I haven’t seen many Thea or Vray renders with Blender, so I’m getting little curious!?

I’ve tested Vray for Blender and I still do it on my spare time. For people like me that come from a Vray-Max environment and have previous experience, the work-flow adaption is quite easy.

Unfortunately I’ve only tested Thea long time ago and I can really speak for this, maybe I’ll give it another try in the future.
If you have any experience with it please post your thoughts.

Also the “revival” of Yafaray which is an excellent and fast renderer in my opinion is quite hopeful and if it ever get render passes then it could easily fit in a FOSS work-flow.

And not forget that there’s some good chances for adaptive rendering in Cycles.

I have been testing Arion and Indigo RT, and so far, not so good. Arion is Windows only, not a problem for me, but very confusing. Indigo is better, but the materials and lamp selection is limiting. Honestly, moving from Cycles to other stuff makes me feel like I lose too much control.

Good night marcoG_ita.
I know it have passed a long time since this post, but would you mind to explain how did you tweaked this file?
I’ll (and many more for sure) be very appreciated!

Hi folks,

I’m not interested in super realistic interior scenes…more into SciFi animation.

I use Cycles, BI, and Octane for Blender, and like each one.
But have recently been looking at VRay for Blender…somehow the renders are
just more realistic and beautiful.

BTW, I’ve installed the VRay demo & Blender 2.78 for VRay build…I’ve set them up, but
getting just black renders so far.

Does anyone use VRay with Blender?

How does Cycles compare with VRay now?

I’m debating whether or not to get VRay Univeral Render Node to use with Blender.
($365 including dongle). I just need to get it to work, but would appreciate any
updated info from the Blender community. :smiley:

Well, after re-reading all the posts here, I decided VRay isn’t happening for me…
can’t get it to work with Blender, scant interest & support, and can’t even access
the Chaos forums (server issue). Just wasn’t meant to be.

But it’s really for the best. I am only interested in animation, and Cycles & Octane
(and even BI) do the job nicely.

I’ll save the $$ for upgrades, and use the time I would have spent on learning
VRay instead to learn to use nodes in Cycles. :wink:

Have a safe & prosperous New Year. :smiley: