Real time cubemap reflection (environment map)

this is pretty neat solution! A great step up from my initial version.
Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

You’re welcome.

HG1, hi!
Could you, please, tell me how to achieve fresnel effect with this?
It is like if you look in front of it(90%)- no reflections(only diffuse color), but if you look like 160 degrees angle it is almost fully reflective!

Please, this is important for me now!

Please don’t understand me wrong actually I don’t want to spent much time on this.
Basically I spending all my free time (4 to 5 hours after work, and the whole weekend) in answering forum questions on Blenderartists, Blendpois and some other forums (electronic, programming). I also making BGE patches and reviewing BGE patches. So I don’t have always time to do such thing instantly. I also need some time to figure out a way to do this with nodes.

I will do this when I find time for this. Maybe on Sunday.

Not to be rude adrian, and HG1 has already responded, but I feel this is a little impatient.

It’s been less than a day between your two posts. If you cannot do something, take the time to work out how it functions, and then find the solution yourself. By all means ask for help with specific questions, but feature requests are exactly as described - requests, and we all lead busy lives! I understand you’re interested, and I sympathise that when one finds novel or exciting resources one is often keen to extend their implementation, but patience is a virtue!

Sorry, but I am weak at nodes and don’t know the fresnel effect calculation at all. I think it is done with angle calculation and than a mix, but not sure how exactly! Patience has always been my weakness, whatever the thing is about!

if you already know that , then learn how to fix it

Yeah! Maybe it is because of I am child. Not grown for patience enaugh!

I have added a Fresnel term to the sphere.
I hope that is the effect you want to achieve.

RealtimeCubemapNode V1.5.blend (861 KB)

Yes, exactly- thank you very much;)

HG1,
Nice work as always,

This method helps me to make a more realistic matte material for car, just need to add a texture and it’s done:)

@HG1 Did you see my Worn Tires: Race to the Victory update video? If so, you might notice that my metallic color doesn’t look as expected. Could you help me figuring out how to make the reflection get a bit noisy, especially in bright areas?

Hello! I am again looking for an upgrade of this: could you, please, HG1, update the node so it supports roughness maps(or at least roughness input property)? It’d be useful for my game where I need to have rough reflections too. Also, is it possible to somehow use this node non-real time? Thanks! :slight_smile:

Yeah, it works fine. Thanks! However, it is quite hard to edit them. I may want to see mixing with diffuse, but I have no idea how!

The PBR doesn’t work for me - I see cubemap, background, I can set diffuse color, but I can’t manipulate roughness, metalness etc.

I think you don’t read the the introduction.

You’ll need to download the reflection cubemaps and unzip it in the same folder as the blend file. I hope you enjoy it.

I think you don’t looked the video in the tread.
The albedo (diffuse) color, roughness, metalness etc. are represented by textures. You need to change the texture.

I changed the textures, nothing changed, except the albedo texture which really affected the sphere!

It would be nice if open a new thread for this. It has nothing to do with this one.

On my PC the shader is working.

1. Do you can see the refection?
    If not do you downloaded the reflection cubemaps and unzip it in the same folder as the blend file.
  2. Do you have an error in the console?
  3. Do you watched the video?