Quixel 2.0

Indie version of substance live suite (thats all 3 programs) is $300. You can also rent it monthly and after you’ve paid $320 it’s yours to own. Indie version of the quixel suite is ($100). Photoshop sub is about $10/month.

While the game is running? None. The textures are cached to memory just like normal textures read from disk.

While the game is loading? Yes, some, since you’re generating textures on the fly instead of loading them from disc, however that’s only the first load, then it’s cached (as long as you allow it to in the settings). You can also set it to generate all the textures upfront and ship the generated assets with your game, but of course then the download will be larger, and the size savings on your download are a pretty big selling point for Substance.

While editing? There’s a slight delay when you change a parameter while Substance is compositing. Compositing hundreds of nodes at 2k or so takes a while. It’s way waaaay faster than Blender’s compositor, that’s for sure. Who cares about editing anyway?

@Cancer… that actually seems like a great deal…

Yeah fdfxd, none of them are overly expensive.

Piotre: seems like it has it’s pro’s and con’s. I’ve thought about buying that Substance Suite in the past, might just get it some day, but not right now, I need other things way more right now, like a whole new computer… Thanks for the info though, I didn’t know as much as I thought I did about it -cheers

It’s not like I’m trying to convince you to buy it. It’s just what I use and… You know…
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

Now I’m definitely not buying it :stuck_out_tongue:

I would still prefer substance painter :stuck_out_tongue:
Their indie license was 99$ at one point too - while there was a discount

• runs on windows, mac and linux is planned
  • doesnt depend on photoshop
  • has more features
  • its more mature/stable and with a bigger community
  • indie license costs the same and during some steam sales even less
  • you dont have to rent photoshop in order to use it - lots of people, including me hate renting software from the cloud

so yeah for those points they should drop the price more, since it’s not even complete software that is being sold, but an addon. Whats worse is that it’s locked to a subscription with another product

Where is the info on Linux support coming? That’d be awesome. Is there a tentative schedule date? That would actually be a huge selling point for me.

You pay for the time saved. A sub to photoshop is really cheap. The $99 price for an add-on is cheap. Time that is saved is huge if you’re an professional. No real professional cares what system they work on to get the work done.

I bet the AAA studios have both sp and quixel installed because it’s so freaking cheap compared what man-hours cost.

But for basement dwellers it’s too expensive :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been using 2.0 for a month or two now, and I like it a lot. I have no Substance experience, so I can’t compare it with that, but the Quixel Suite does what I want it to, and way faster than I would be able to otherwise.

Some parts had a fairly steep learning curve to me, and there’s still features I’m waiting on (a Cycles preset would be nice), but I’m pretty happy with it so far. Also waiting to see what Megascans looks like when that’s released.

Substance Designer > GNU/Linux port info: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=da3ogj787l5trcipga6uraqf14&topic=1176.15

Early last month, was the last mention of it. Seems to be dragging on slowly, but not dead. I’d buy a Linux Subs…Live Suite Indy license in a heartbeat. The one thing that made me not quite want to get it before, was that I already had Quixel (on sale) and it would be yet another Windows exclusive tool when I am trying to build a pipe-line that is both fully GNU/Linux compatible & also platform agnostic (also works on Windows/OSX).

@plate

But 2.0 just came out on 27th

I have used SD, and I currently mainly use QS. This is a welcome - and free - update for me. I like that 3D painting is now a feature. Have to try it though, as 3D Painting in PS has not been that great. Hope they have managed to improve on that with this plugin.

I also used gimpshop for a lot of years but still prefer photoshop.

There are certain limitations and advantages of QS in PS. One advantage is the files it creates are in PS format so they can stand on thier own without the plugin and even be edited without it.

SD on the other hand creates its own format. So if it crashes, there goes your work. If QS crashes it usually does not crash PS and you don’t loose work.

Anyways I like both approaches. SD has a tendency to be more complex to use, while QS gives you very fast results. There are times when one might be preferable over the other.

I plan on adding Substance live back into my pipeline at some point. Impressive software.

They had a closed beta for a couple months before that, and I was lucky enough to win a copy.

I don’t remember that SD has ever crashed on me, and I’ve used some pretty mean graphs. It’s rock-solid, as far as I can tell. Substance Painter has crashed on me a few times, but that was in beta. I don’t think you have to worry about crashing.

Substance painter is good if you are texturing hero assets/characters (things that has to be seen from up close) but Quixel absolutely rocks for texturing background objects. You just create a material preset and throw it on all the objects you need. That has allowed me to pump out dozens of assets a day, no hazzle.

You can do that with Substance designer as well but there’s more setup time and it’s just not as fast (in my experience)

A Workflow tutorial for Blender to Quixel Suite 2 is coming!

https://i.gyazo.com/6aaafdfe1788139e1ed885c32d87d2fb.png

This is from the Quixel CEO. :smiley:

yeah the newly included cycles preset is going to be a life saver. :slight_smile:
sucks a bit though to be left out from the multilayer 3d painting feature in NDO with versions older than CS6.

actually there is one more feature for Blender Users; .blend files can now be imported.

Good to hear that the linux port of subtsance painter is on it’s way.

@BigBlend > No need for name calling :slight_smile:
Can you show me studios using Quixel2? Because I am pretty certain that Substance has managed to secure it’s place on that market long before Quixel 2. So in terms of features and price, it looks to me that it is not going to be that easy for quixel to steal the market yet.

In any case competition is a good thing for the end users. It means better products at better prices/terms.

Has anyone else given this a go? I’ve got the latest update with the Blender specific workflow elements, however I’m not sure what to do with all of them. I’m able to get ok results with some basic node work but I’m not entirely sure what two of the maps are for or why they were exported in .tiff format and are so large. I’d like to think that was just a export issue and I can save them in a smaller format, but I don’t want to assume to much. Suppose I’ll just wait patiently for a day or two as they said they were working on a Blender tutorial or set of information.