Quake (1996 game) bsp import script

Did I mention it would be nice to make Quake 3 (BSP) and Doom 3 (MAP) importers? :slight_smile:

Doom3 imported and edited in Blender, that could be better than doom4.

Please tell me in which other engine than BGE can you do a full project without leaving the app.

Not really sure what you mean. Doom 3 imported to Blender would serve the same purpose as Quake imported in Blender - making dioramas, nothing else.

1. Quake 4 Radiant: https://spawnhost.wordpress.com/2014/10/09/friends-in-unlikely-places/
  2. GtkRadiant 1.5 brush export->.obj
  3. Q3Map2 to .ASE
  4. Noesis: http://www.richwhitehouse.com/index.php?content=inc_projects.php

Saved OBJs donā€™t open in Blender :frowning: Plus, canā€™t save lights in OBJ. q3map2 has no relation to Quake 4 or doom 3.

Can Noesis open Doom 3 map and save it as ā€¦ OBJ (I know, no lights, but at least brushes with proper texturing and materials) ?

EDIT: I am not sure if Quake 4 Radiant can open Quake 3 maps, but I guess it might work for Doom 3 (should be the same map format).

For exporting brushes/patches with UVs and material headers, DarkRadiantā€™s ASE exporter is great, although you need to split the map into reasonable pieces because the exporter gets very sluggish, as though itā€™s rewriting the entire ASE file for every new piece added. In my experience, Iā€™ve never had any issues with broken UVs or headers for anything, even complex patches and CSG-carved brushes.

For exporting mapobjects (LWO/ASE/MD5) you can use the Quake 4 Editor (you can even get this working by combining the demo PK4s with the patch EXEs and launching ā€˜editorā€™ during the intro movies, if you donā€™t own Quake 4) and get chunks of mapobjects into 1 OBJ with positions and rotations, even scaling. Prey/ET:QW might do the same thing, but for whatever reason (last I tried) Doom3 itself canā€™t do this.

As for lights, I have no idea if they are even viable meshes at all. We just copy out the coords and convert the metrics manually.

If someone has Gear VR, check this out: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwE6dxM0O2PsOE0yX1JqWkhXaDg

And for Cardboard: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwE6dxM0O2PsbTFqUGFQQW82WFU (you need this app to view https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.edusys.unitysubclass&hl=en)

Hey, Iā€™m new here. Can someone help me? I canā€™t figure out this BSP thing. I try to save it to the addons in the User Preferences but it doesnā€™t appear in the addons sections. I download the zip, I go to user preferences, I click install from file, I click on the zip, and I look in the addons but I donā€™t see it. I thought it was because I had a Mac, but I tried it on a PC and that didnā€™t work either. I canā€™t import it if I canā€™t enable it, but I canā€™t enable it if I canā€™t find it.

Can someone tell me whatā€™s going on? Cause I found a lot of great models I wanna use from BSPs and Iā€™m going crazy trying to figure it out.

Can someone help me? I import this thing into the addons but it doesnā€™t seem to show up in the addons. And I know how to import them, you download the zip, you go to User Preferences, you click on Install File, then you click on the zip. But I canā€™t find it it in the addons so Iā€™m wondering what thatā€™s all about? Can someone tell me because there are lot of BSPs I wanna use.?

ā€¦this thingā€¦
Which one? One from here was i did try and modify (see post #20). Download button on the right; download, User Prefs, Install from File and point to the downloaded .zip. Will be in import/Export section.
Find your addons folder and right in the Blenderā€™s Text Editor add missing lines (post #20, red marked) taking care of indentation. Save, checkmark and hopefully enjoyā€¦

I know this is way overdo but Iā€™ve kinda given up on this thing. The only thing I figured is that this addon doesnā€™t work on the particular models I want, such as ones from Gmod and Gamebanna. Oh well.

Hi. I have been managing NS2siege since September 2014. ITā€™s a project devoted to ā€¦ Siege. A concept from NS1. NS1 is a game from HL1, which uses BSPS (Sorry I dont know who is reading this exactly and who exactly has what knowledge on this, although i saw a post earlier in this topic regarding a bug using a NS1 mapā€¦ anywayā€¦)

Im here to post because Iā€™ve attempted numerous times to use this plugin for spark. All versions. 0.03. 0.04. 0.05. Numeros blender versions, 2.68, 2.71. Even a blind attempt at modifying an error from a line which the plugin spit out, all with no luck. Actually, well, some maps work. Let me correct myself. Others do not. I do not know what causes the bug, I just knowā€¦ alot of the mapsā€¦ I wanted, didnt want to convert.

I had a version of 0.05 lent to me via dropbox by SamusDroid who is CDT of NS2, but this was 2 years ago, i lost the files, but these files somehow worked with every map like a magic wand. Im not able to get into SamusDroid for these files anymore, so im posting here on blenderartists to request for help.

The current method I have to use on maps which dont work (for example ns_aleinsiege_004 which ill attach for you to try and convert yourself and replicate this error)

HEre is an example of a session which i just finished, ns2_aliensiege - where I converted the .bsp to a .map and then from .map to .vmf, and had to spark editor apps open, one to copy the correct mesh (because doing this sloppy conversion brings LOTS of messy geometry to filter through). Itā€™s okay, I guess, because I had to manually set each floor, wall, ceiling, into its own seperate layer for texturingā€¦ but you know, this plugin to convert .bsp to blender is so luxrious to combine the plugin for spark to convert blender to .level for NS2!! !

Hereā€™s a video if interested ;), and ns_aliensiege004.bsp for you try and convert yourself, youll probably get an error, if you can help me resolve it such as you said in this postā€¦ although a year old by now!!! thanks :smiley: and be sure to join ns2siege on ns2!!

Iā€™ve been thinking about remodeling some of the old Quake maps for use in Darkplaces. The old maps are so blocky, they look absolutely ridiculous with the fancy graphics mods people are offering today (like the Epsilon build).

So apparently this addon letā€™s me import maps. Is there an export solution as well to get them back into the game?

Hi. Whenever I try to use this importer, I always get an error. Iā€™ve tried with versions 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, and 0.6, but none of them work. Im trying to import ā€œstart.bspā€ from ā€œpak0.pakā€ (I already exctracted the .bsps from the .pak)

Image of error:

Would be a great if someone could help me out. Thanks in advance!

Use in a older blender version. When I use this script i use blender 2.69

How do I downgrade?
Do I just download the older version from blender.org?
And once I import it, can I save it and then load it in blender 2.78?

is this the script your using?

Hey, I played a game called Jedi Outcast II and it runs on a late version of the quake engine. I want to convert a .bsp map but Iā€™m getting errors.

Here is the map.
http://mrwonko.de/jk3files/Jedi%20Outcast/Maps/Free%20For%20All/72288/

Sorry for not spotting all the replies to this thread.

I think the only place the addon is available is my GitHub repo, which is here: https://github.com/andyp123/blender_io_mesh_bsp

I have confirmed that the addon still works fine in Blender 2.79, and was able to import start.bsp, extracted from pak0.pak using this utility (can only save the files in Chrome I think): https://rawgit.com/andyp123/quake_web_tools/master/QuakeWebTools.html

You can only open Quake 1 format bsp files, since thatā€™s what the addon was developed for. If you would like to import other BSP types (Quake 2, Jedi Knight), then youā€™ll have to customise the addon code.

Lightmaps are not imported, since it would be a bunch more work. The way textures are imported is also not ideal for performance in modern game engines, but there isnā€™t really an easy way to resolve this, as it would probably require some kind of atlasing solution, which is beyond the scope of the addon. The addon was developed mostly just as a way to get Quake bsp files into Blender, so that old maps could be used as a reference for other projects.

I hope the addon is useful to some of you despite its limitations.

I just updated this addon to work with Blender 2.80, so now you can import Quake maps from 1996 direct to Blender 2.80 in 2019! You can find the source and recent readme on the github page here: https://github.com/andyp123/blender_io_mesh_bsp

This was basically an exercise in porting an addon to Blender 2.80. Since I was having all kinds of problems with another addon of mine, I decided to port something simpler first. The other addon (Vertex Color Master) will also be ported soon.

Iā€™ve updated the original post with new links and fixed the broken image links (broken by the forum update in 2018), but Iā€™ll post the links here too:
v0.0.7 (Blender 2.79) : Download
v0.0.8 (Blender 2.80) : Download

2 Likes