Pug sculpt

Also note that, in his pocket is a doggy bisket. :stuck_out_tongue:
Also, Also, in the reflection of the helmet you can see the ceiling tiles of the photo studio. :eyebrowlift2:

Particles… idk… how do you check for the totals? I know I have 5 children hairs but not sure about the parents.

Excellent little details :smiley:

Parent/Base particle number should be towards the top of the Particle Systems Panel under a tab labeled Emission. I believe the default starting value is 1000. There’s also a Virtual Parent option, which I believe is in the Children tab, but I’ve never messed with that. I was just curious, as I’ve attempted to use particle fur before, but not for anything approaching photorealism.

Anyway, excellent stuff.

I feel like that number is not correct thats why I wasnt sure…

Almost ready for the high res render!

Also note in the reflection of the helmet, a hand holding a doggy treat can be seen.

Hey a little up date. I’ve been perfecting the fur in gimp and putting finishing touches. any comments?:eyebrowlift:

Overall well done.
I think the suit folds/wrinkles can be polished and the hair particles need a little less “clump”.
Have you tried with the dog eyes watching at the camera? Or is watching at the hand reflected on the helmet?

Yes The clumpy hair seems to be the criticism from my non-blender heads whom I am asking to to critique it. What do you suggest I do with the suit folds though?
Also perhaps I need to make the individual strands a bit thinner and add more children strands?

My reasoning for the dogs eyes being slightly upward is:

1. Realistically, its really hard to get a dog to look into the camera(not that this is realistic lolz)
  2. The treat is being dangled above him out of frame, So I feel like it adds a nice subplot :slight_smile: that he has gone through his own version of “highly technical” astronaut training but still needs to be motivated by doggy biscuits, hence the drool! That’s why he also has a back up biscuits in his pocket.
  3. I intend to add a very subtle reflection of constellations or stars in his eyes.

Reduced the hair to about half their thickness and added more children and halved the clumping

There’s something weird going on with the eyes. The whites of the eyes have come out coloured green and red for some reason.

Yes its the SSS and the low amount of samples. In a high sampled version the green is hardly noticeable. And I just unsaturate it until its white/grey in gimp.

I’m mostly worried about the fur looking too fake at this point.

amazing … good textures and good render :yes:

Thanks for bringing a smile to my face…great job!

Now, it’s probably me but the head seems to be kinda separate from the rest of the body :(…I know is still WIP! keep on the great wok

Care to elaborate? I’m taking criticism very seriously. Do mean the fur around the neck doesn’t look right?

I think can have more convincing folds as link (take at example his arm) or at least smooth the existing ones, so more sculpting is needed. If i guess right that is your main reference image :wink:

A couple of thing you can try: decrease the tip size of the fur/hairs, it will be probably softer; scale a bit more, maybe 1.1x, the eyes so (probably again) the cuteness factor will increase.

superb job. Awesome :smiley:

The tip size was already at 0. :S
The eyes and nose will be fixed in Gimp because at this point it’s way easier to do there.

Aside from the color(which will be fixed in gimp) hows the hairs now?

Cant you get this pug any more puggly.:smiley:

the fur looks a little thick to me but, it might just be me
human hair thickness is in the thousandths and animal hair depends you could google it but, like i said it might be me

Yes it could be the fur that’s giving that illusion, on second thoughts it could be that there’s too much contrast between the head and the black rubber seal thingy…
To avoid re-working the hairs and/or the head I suggest work on the black fabric, don’t know just give it a more rubber feel to it.
Anywho, great work so far every time I come to it, it makes me smile and a feeling of proudness for all the pugs out there.

Argh haven’t noticed from the whole image. The hair now are better. However if you are planning close up shots you will need thinner hairs and much more of them.

this is tremendous, very fun and high-quality work as well.