Project Gooseberry

Look dev? I don’t think there is even a script or any concept art or let alone models to look dev. There is also nothing to dismiss.

I am personally just feeling sorry for the pre-production guys 5 and half months. Pixar, Dreamworks and Disney with way more resources spend years on preproduction. 2 or 4 years before a movie is out they are already releasing concept art to the public. These guys are going to burn out if that schedule is true.

Goodluck fellas

Well dismissing now would be depressing because they might be whatever tests.
Personally I wonder what are the main goals of those tests on Vimeo channel posted above, camera tracking and live action mixed with CG has been on of the main goal of ToS.

The director says “mood test”, though i bet it will be entirely black and white, maybe some “flashback” sequence, memories of an actor…i’m also quite surprised if being live action+CG again, i bet it would have been full CGI this time. Hope BF release some more info soon, plot and script are so secondary for me at the moment, understanding what kind of movie would mean understanding better what will be developed/improved in Blender.

Hmm. Animated or mixed actuality?

I think people mixes up this [video above] personal project by matray with gooseberry.

@aermartin - but the video description says

This is a mood test for an upcoming short film.Entirely made with blender. (3D tracking, animation, rendering with cycles, compositing)
The robot is a modified version of the quadbot from “tears of steel” open movie.

Indeed it could be totally unrelated to Goosberry and just a test for some black and white sequence, some compositing or camera stuff he wanted to test himself. I don’t care too much though, just curious.

I’m with aermatin on this I think you guys might be confusing the director’s personal project with gooseberry.

@Craig Jones you choice of the word ‘Look Dev’ confused me because ‘Look Dev’ typically happens after a modelling texturing when shaders are defined etc at least that’s how I remember several TD’s on cgtalk explaining it a long time ago, found the thread http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=706149&page=2&pp=15

I don’t think there is script or even concept art, I honestly would love to be wrong on that.

It’ll push Blender much further as usual with BF open movies.
It’ll have awesome looks, as usual.
It’ll be technically fascinating, as usual.
It’ll be perceived as a success as usual.

The rest will be the usual as well.

Haunt

Yes, sorry, I get them confused in my own work too.

My sentiment still stands - too soon to start sounding off about something that isn’t done, otherwise we will see a greater debate than the UI Debacle of 2013… :smiley:

I feel the same way. It will be good, some will like it, some will hate it, and blender will get better.

this should be veeeerrrryyyy interesting . looking forwarde to the adventure.

Wow, some negative vibes being spread already… how sad is that, with only a schedule and the director being announced :no:
No matter the outcome, open movie projects will always push Blender forward, being a production/artist driven development, even if it doesn’t fulfill our personal wishes.

I look forward to the new features it will bring, such as the asset-manager, project management and general pipeline improvements, besides the work on Cycles and the rest of Blenders tools. I also look forward to an original story and style, based on what we have seen from the director. As Ton said on his bconf keynote, this is not about making a Disney/Pixar or Dreamworks animation (which I guess will make Blender “even more unprofessional” in the eyes of some of you…)

Production time has always been tight in these open movie projects, which just makes me appreciate the outcome more, since the teams could pull it off. Project Gooseberry will have a production time of 1½ years for probably 60-80 min, spread over many teams around the world. I think relatively that matches what has been done before. Sure it can/will hurt the final quality, but most of us have seen local “professional” CG feature productions that are honestly crap, and some that are ok, done in similar timeframes. So no need to judge or compare to Pixar already.

I wonder how it will go with money, since the EU media fund only covers developers, and based on previous open movies, and some peoples negative expectations, I don’t think preorders will be enough to cover multiple studios expenses. Hopefully governments in other countries will also help to fund this project.

Good points San. I wonder if they will have kickstarters for scenes!? :wink:

Personally I love Matheius style. I think ToS was leaning super much on cgi shots with very little footage. Which was good because the compositor underwent a major over haul.

Hire lot of developers to work in the institute, or each studio can use funding to hire devs in-house. Either way it´s gonna be a huge win-win situation for Blender :slight_smile:

The whole film is going to fly or crash on the quality of the script, if the script is weak from the beginning then no amount of technical skill or acting will save it (look at any typical hollywood film… the Carrie remake for example)

The acting has to be spot on, I’ve learned this the hard way with my own films. Tears of Steel had terrible acting, it’s a great film technically… I bought a dvd of it from the blender foundation website… but the acting could have been better. Bad actors will ruin a great script.

Consistency might be a tricky bit if they are making a feature length film with multiple studios / blender users and animators of varying experience, talent, and ability. Ton might be bald after this one keeping everyone on the same page. Making a film isn’t hard, it’s just a lot of work and everyone involved has to have a common vision in sight, that’s the job of the director. I’m lucky in that when I make films myself, I only have to answer to myself and communicate my own vision to myself… and it works (most of the time) It all comes down to keeping everything consistent and maintaining that consistency through the entire production.

either way, I’m looking forward to seeing what they come up with in the end. And if anyone on the project wants some advice on my filmmaking process (not necessarily the best or easiest way… but I’ve made 5 shorts and 2 features, another feature 20 mins complete… working alone…) I’ll be more than happy to help out.

I can’t think of a better choice, because Mathieu Auvray is very interesting and funny thanks to a good ‘timing’ in his work.
Two things to be aware (in my opinion):
1/ Scenario, especially if it’s a full-length movie,
2/ Money: not quite sure that money of Blender enthousiasts will be enough, maybe a release as a commercial movie before a creative common release ?

I agree with @@nodelete on this one. Speaking from experience, script (BIG Point #1) and director (Point #2) combination will either make or break the whole production. As for keeping the teams align (BIG Point #3) with director’s vision, this “experiment” will fail unless there are much prepro stuff done (normal prepro can take years, been in them, live to tell)(Point #4). Then another factor is experimental workflow with experimental tools (in this case Blender) (BIG Point #5). Trying not to be negative, but frankly I see too many points of failure in Gooseberry, not just the director.

Getting outside of ones comfort zone is uncomfortable. This is a big project and in good hands with him as a director. His work is simple yet captivating. Looking forward to the progression of this in the coming months.

I think, the goal was to have it up on cinema, distributor or not. The amount of money BF could make if it´s an hit would be really much for BF. Hiring devs wouldn´t be a problem anymore.

I think some of you are missing the point a bit.

No matter how bad the movie is, it will still push the Blender toolset forward and validate it in a medium-to-large scale production environment. Even if the movie itself is an utterly terrible, artistically bankrupt piece of garbage, it doesn’t matter much, aside from the marketing aspect.

Of course, it’d be nice if it was an ok movie too, that tends to keep the morale up.

I dont think you can recast the possibility of producing a crap movie as a development opportunity.
If this movie is to succeed Blender had better be largely up to the task before they begin.
The longer and more expensive these movies get the more they need to succeed in themselves as ‘entertainment’.
Blender needs to show it actually is worth considering for real use and not cobbling together ‘tech demos’ that barely tell a story.
Seriously I wish BF good luck with it but I would prefer Ton to take another stepping stone before a full length movie.
If he can show something that really worked to people then he will be in a position to get a lot more funding and industry support on an ongoing basis.