Project FPS

1. This is something many people have mentioned, I will be sure to add it in for the tutorial series.

2. Yes, I think this is under the list of things I forgot like HUD. I actually used a bullet hole script to spawn in the “bullet impacts” so this should be relatively easy to do.

3. I will do this as well, I think I will have to do the same for the smoke as well.

4. Yes, that has happened a couple times while testing, but I am not sure why.

5. Definitely something I will improve, in the tutorial series. I think the scale of the level (around three times the normal size), was the main factor for this. I will make sure everything is scaled correctly for the tutorial series.

6. I am not familiar with Key mapping, maybe I will look into it, however if I put in the prompt [E] (or whichever key it is), this problem should be solved.

7. hmm, maybe some of the unpacked images were packed into the .blend accidentally.

8. Isn’t this on by default? unless you mean additionally using occlude objects within a scene. For the level I used LoD for all objects and lights.

Hi,

I get 16-30 fps and short freezes.

Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit
System Model: HP 15 Notebook PC
Processor: AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics (4 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM

I get the same on my Windows test machine.
It has a 512 MB 8400 GS, tried multiple versions of blender and the video driver.
Oddly enough my Fedora laptop with an Intel HD4000 & 256 MB gets a nice 30 - 35 FPS.
Maybe I’ll poke at this more later…

Moving on-
Finally tested the other version and it looks fantastic.
I hope this keeps going. There’s so much valuable knowledge to instill in a project such as this.

EDIT
Occlusion culling is enabled by default, but nothing happens unless an occluder is in the view frustrum.
I’d give this a good read before adding em though:
http://www.blender.org/manual/game_engine/physics/object/occluder.html

Lining the walls and upper floors with planes would probably do the trick. You’ll need to think about where you place them to avoid unnecessary overhead.

Um, and they don’t seem to work when the object is set invisible from the physics settings. You have to give it an invisible material.

With occluders

Without occluders

Not many people are fully aware of this feature. That’s probably where a lot of BGE’s “slowness” comes from.

Thanks for the explanation, Since the entire “visual” level is actually no collision, I could easily change this to occluder to try and solve the problem. Again if you scroll out in the view-port you can also see LoD working, however using both in conjunction could work quite well.

Also if anyone wants to make the AI more of a challenge, go to the script player health and increase the range on the randomly generated value. It should look something like this:

if msg.positive:    
    ran_num = random.randint(3, 12)
    own['health'] -= ran_num

3 is the minimum damage (per shot) and 12 is the max.

How do you open door?

sensor interact = e key. Got it, anyway, crashes when I shoot!

Yeah I will be sure to add some sort of prompt in the tutorial series with the key to press. The crashing doesn’t sound too good, but maybe again in the tutorial series after I have finished “repairing” it should work better.

Yes! With crash I mean closing Blender!

I really like playing these types of games. :slight_smile: My PC is to small to run the game, but the video looks good.
Are you going to be able to loot bodies? In games like these, you should be able to, so you can find more ammo, cash, etc.
Keep up the good work.

Did a quick play through and uploaded it to my channel!
Check it out if you’re keen!

[video]https://youtu.be/O5XuDD4-av0[/video]

I think looting bodies etc. would be a cool next step. Perhaps once I finish marble expedition, I can get onto creating another fps game, but this will probably be a team project as trying to make it yourself can take months with not much gameplay to show for it.

Great playthrough Vito! Credit to blenderrendersky for the tweaked/improved version.

I`ve never seen a bog roll in a public toilet… how unrealistic!! ;-)))
great work!