Problems right from the beginning.

Hello Veganymous,

I totally understand your position as I personally have a very similar background (CG artist for years, self-trained in Max and Maya with about a decade of studio experience, and always kind of curious about Blender). Now I cannot help with the bugs you are experiencing, but I do have some advice regarding the transition process.

• About the Maya presets

As you probably have noticed by now, the built-in Maya presets included in Blender are actually very problematic, because they change both the navigation scheme and the default tool shortcuts. And while the Maya-style navigation reassignment is actually very good, the fact that this switch also remaps many of the default Blender keyboard shortcuts makes pretty much every Blender introduction tutorial impossible to follow, and the changes also go against the modeling philosophy of the program itself. The Blender devs in charge of this custom preset really need to address this problem soon (that is to say, finding a way to separate navigation from tool shortcuts) because in it’s current state this option is causing more harm than good.

In order to use a Maya-style navigation without conflict, you can refer to this :

• On learning Blender

Unfortunately even though Blender is extremely powerful and fluid to use for experienced users, it also has a huge UX design flaw in the sense that the program offers absolutely no discoverability. In other words, there is no way to figure one’s way through the program with experimentation. The core of the issue is that many tools end up being coded in, and then given an obscure (and very often, impractical) keyboard shortcut that is impossible to guess. For instance, there would have been no way for me to guess that shift-A is “insert model”, whereas this would have been easy to guess in any other program by just right clicking in the viewport and checking out the entries of the contextual popup showing up. This huge design flaw is sadly the price to pay for the very powerful 3D cursor.

The way I managed to work around this issue was to follow a good introduction tutorial (which relied on the default shortcuts), wrote down all the things I needed to streamline to fit my workflow, and only then did I start creating my own since by then I knew which shortcut I should not override and why. This is of course much more time consuming than learning any other CG program out there, but I found it to be the only way. I personally used this tutorial :

I took my time to watch it and took a lot of notes ; but after a week of going back to it here and there I was fully operational and actually started to enjoy blockout modeling and form exploration in Blender much more than I ever did in Max or Maya. However, without this tutorial it would have taken months, if not years of slowly grinding through wiki pages and less goal-oriented instructional videos.

I hope this helps ! Good luck man :slight_smile:

:wink: ok, I got the joke :wink:
This 3D cursor is probably the most useless feature I ever came across. Throughout the years of my 3D career I havn’t had the need for a 3D corsor at least once. Occupying the RMB (in my case) with such a useless feature rather sounds like a joke than like serious software design.
All these discussions about conflicting keymapping wouldn’t occur if Blender wouldn’t be THAT shortcut biased. Shortcuts are a nice addition for expirienced users but should never be the main workflow or, like in Blender case, the ONLY workflow. What I realised when comparing Blender with other software, other softwares always offer multiple ways of accomplishing a task, so the user can develop his own preferences which ways to choose. In Blender there is only ONE way. You either go the Blender way or you fail.
Appart from the fact that the modeling tools are in need of improvement, making them accessable in more than just the shortcut way, through a menubar and preferably through a RMB menu, would solve so many problems at once.

I could go on and on but that unfortunatelly doesn’t change the fact that my Blender is awefully buggy.

[QUOTE=Pior;]… I personally used this tutorial :
https://gumroad.com/d/4319010d38a2957a6da41f1e7291bf70[/QUOTE]
I can’t open the link.

This 3D cursor is probably the most useless feature I ever came across.

Search for the threads that go into the pros/cons of the 3d curser.

Shortcuts are a nice addition for expirienced users but should never be the main workflow or, like in Blender case, the ONLY workflow. What I realised when comparing Blender with other software, other softwares always offer multiple ways of accomplishing a task, so the user can develop his own preferences which ways to choose. In Blender there is only ONE way.
Just about all shortcuts are in the menus or spacebar search. Also make your own pie menus

I could go on and on but that unfortunatelly doesn’t change the fact that my Blender is awefully buggy.
It sounds like you’ve made your mind up that blender does not meet your needs. If that is the case then I’d suggest you not waste any further with it

the tutorial link that is exactly ive done right now … do not use the preset Maya or MAX …
turn your maya into Blender by Directly Modifying the Blender Preset … So the Bug will Not Be Occur

my Blender Doesnt Forget the shortcut key Right now

I disagree 3D cursor is one of the most powerful tool in blender ive also thought that when i migrated to blender but after you get hang of it and how to use it … you will always use the 3d Cursor

if you find it annoying in your mouse because it takes up space … you can change it freely at input editor

or

Use Autohotkey
Change the useless Windows Key where Start menu pops out …
and swap it into another key for example F12 … and then assign the
LWin::f12 to 3D cursor so it is still there and can be use

Now To fix the problem your encountering
I suggest follow This Link tutorial : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12fqTUyDts0
link by Pior. this will solve your problem

before you do the tutorial Delete This to make clean install
C:\Users\NAMEOFUSER\AppData\Roaming<b>Blender Foundation
also Uninstall Blender then Delete Blender Foundation at Program Files

then install Blender Again from start and do the tutorial this will fix the bug … and Do not Use Import/Export or + Sign to create a Name of Your Key

start Right away Modifying the Blender Preset … use the video tutorial to guide you …

This is now How my Blender Preset look like and So Far i dont Encounter Any Bugs Unlike Before

Very sad, but I expected that to come…

I did, I can’t find them. Just pages over pages discussing common Blender issues in general and I don’t have the time to read all of them, just to find the 5 post that discuss the 3D cursor in particular.
If you have distinct informations and statements, I’d be glad you read them.

No, I made up my mind that Blender has a HUGE potential which I see wasted in the way it is designed.
As a Maya user I can tell you from experience that you will rarely find a Autodesk customer, being truely content with the company’s politic. Autodesk is well known for not caring about well known bugs in their software, because they are to busy developing new fancy tools and gimmicks, instead of overhauling the buggy parts and making the core rock solid. Probably a Blender user from inside the community can’t see that but watching this from the outside, I can tell that the Blender community has an increasing tendency to become like Autodesk, not individually but sa a whole.
There is a reason why the growth of Blenders user base is stagnating, which is not because “people make up their minds that Blender doesn’t meet their needs.” The reason is that Blender has serious design issues in regards of some indidual tools as well as in general. If you advise everyone to “not wast any further time with it” because someone addresses issues bluntly, I don’t see a big future for Blender, which is sad. Improvement comes from outside, not inside. If the blossom would dismiss the pollen, the flower would never bloom.
I know my words are rough for some people but that is because they are honest and very well-intentioned.

There is a general misconception at work which goes kind of like this (trying to average the grammar here, if you will): “zOMG Blender is all hotkeys how can u guys remember all the keyz Im lost I wanna it be like <insert your software here> you can’t customize it I don’t wanna learn all the keys!!1”

Blender is customizable (although it seems there is an issue with saving presets which should be reported to the tracker, not pointed fingers on in this thread). You want to use manipulator - please. You want left clicks - here you go. You want click-drag-marquee-select - there it is (I think 0rAngE posted his setup in a neighbour thread). Love to input numbers instead of dragging mouse - it’s built-in, both with input fields and directly during transforms.

However when a new user comes and starts changing Blender right away from the start to the way they think it should be, many issues arise: they can’t follow the manual or the tutorials, they have trouble communicating their issues at the forums or on IRC (to the point when only at like post #10 of the thread it is realized that they’re using custom setup, well past time that some of them “rage quit in frustration”), yadda yadda. And it wouldn’t have been that bad if the user already knew their way around 3D software and could communicate well about the tools they’re using or issues they’re having. Unfortunately, most of the time the questions asked are in the form “this doesn’t work” or “it’s weird” or “it bugs out”. That is why the general advise to new users is first and foremost to learn Blender as it is and only then start customizing it. You can’t expect people to guess what you’ve changed in the interface, much like you can’t expect someone to use the exact same setup as you do. A common ground for communication has to be set. And the easiest common ground already exists - default setup. If your custom setup helps you in your work (or job) - that’s awesome. But if someone comes to the support forums and starts asking why rotation in sculpt mode “is not working” or how snapping is “not intuitive” or how “subdivision doesn’t work” and only after counterquestions it’s revealed that they’ve changed a setting here, a hotkey there, or they’ve simply “forgot” to mention they’re using some custom preset, or that they’ve expected it to be “just like that program over there” - it is indeed, as they often say “messed up”.

I cannot understand why the difference in how the software works is such a big shock to people coming from other software. Blender is a tool with its own philosophy and principles, just like your other software. Alright, I’ve been kind of shocked too once when reading Maya forums when an answer to the question “How do I get a freely rotated orthographic view?” turned out to be a set of some “obscure” steps to fiddle in some menus. But the thing is, these differences in “the works” are natural: you cannot realistically expect one software to behave exactly like the other.

For example, ViM, Notepad++ and TextMate are all good text editors, right? Do any of them look or behave like the other? No. Can any of them be made to behave like the other? To an extent, yes. But when that extent starts to clash with the general design of the application - that’s where the problems start. You can use ViM in “easy mode” (evim), but at this rate you’d be better off with another editor. You can extend Notepad++ with plugins and macros, but they’d still be nowhere near as powerful as ViM’s tools. You can realize the full power of TextMate with its hotkeys, but perhaps will miss some features of Notepad++ or versatility of ViM. All three programs do the same thing - edit text. Yet all three are different, though in no way are worse for it. A tool for the task at hand, and all that jazz.

Same goes for Blender vs. other packages. Want to customize it? Go ahead. Want to turn it into other software? Not gonna happen. Not because of superiority or inferiority of different software, but because it’s simply how it works: tools differ (both in name and in function), settings differ, heck, even basic principles like coordinate systems differ. Not to mention the (in)availability of some tools and modes between different applications.

Oh, and as for 3D cursor. It is simply another tool. And pardon me, but I fail to understand how a freely controlled (and scriptable) placeholder and pivot point that actually comes as an extension to several tools across the software can be honestly called “useless”. As they say - you just ain’t cooking it right.

Sorry, I am new so please tell me if I posted in the wrong discussion.

I’ve been having a problem with the Grid object. It has 81 boxes in it (9 x 9) and I need it to be at 64 boxes (8 x 8). Please help! I’ve been having this problem for three days now and have tried everything that I can think of.

Hi again Vegan.

• Sorry about the tutorial link not working, my bad. Here it is :
    https://gumroad.com/masterxeon1001

• About the 3D cursor
    I wasn’t trying to be sarcastic with that remark as I find it to be very useful. I too was initially quite shocked to see that the blender devs assigned it to alternate click (=left click by default, right click when customized) as it goes against the OS guidelines of both Windows and OSX. It certainly is a big barrier of entry, but I think it kindof comes with the territory of Blender being open-source and the devs probably not caring too much about official OS validation guidelines. For instance, the file/open menu being proprietary is another example of that design philosophy.

I personally find the 3D cursor to be extremely useful for viewport navigation. Once you set it to be depth-sensitive (User Preferences/Interface/Cursor Depth) it becomes a fantastic tool for accurate navigation. For instance, in most 3d packages, it is almost impossible to zoom in and focus on a specific area of a model without going into edit mode and select, say, a vertex, and frame on that. In Blender I have 3D View/Center View to Cursor set to alt-F, which allows me to instantly focus on a very specific point of my model at all times. This is extremely useful to my workflow, and I know miss that feature every time I use another 3D program.

Another very useful feature of the 3D cursor is the insert mesh tool (shift-A by default). Being able to accurately place the cursor in 3D space and then use it as an instantly available locator for mesh creation is another now essential tool to my personal workflow. I hope you will be able to fix your performance issues and give it a try.

• On the subject of Blender being so dependent on default keyboard shortcuts.
    The problem here is that many power users of Blender actually misunderstand the problem, and the discussion always ends up derailing quickly. The problem is not that Blender is best when used with keyboard shortcuts, as this is an obvious thing true for any CG or software and Blender is not an exception. The problem is that Blender has a ton of default shortcuts relying on complex key combinations most of which using the first letter of the function as a trigger (like G for Grab, or ctrl-F for Flip[distortion-free] for instance). This is a rather big UX design issue for two reasons :

1 - these shortcuts are impossible to guess in the first place, therefore relying on the first letter of the tool is kind of pointless. If a user wants to use the Flip command a lot, it is best for him/her to give it a personally customized shortcut than wasting time remembering the one that the devs decided to use as an afterthought.
2 - these shortcuts are so heavily dependent on context and modifier keys that modifying them is a huge and risky undertaking, which prevents even power users from optimizing them for their workflows. From there it is a bit of a vicious circle, which adds to the already steep learning curve.

This too is probably a consequence of Blender being open source and the devs focusing more on the quality of the toolset than the discoverability of the program. Unfortunately that’s just another price to pay …

I hope you will be able to solve your performance issue and find the time to check out the program a little further. It certainly takes more time than it should and that’s a bit of a shame. I hope that the Blender foundation will one day have the opportunity to hire a competent UX designer to alleviate the issue, but for now we’ll have to just bend to it and work with what we have :slight_smile:

- On customisation

Stan : there are a few very good reason for new users to attempt to customize Blender right away. I will try to explain them from a software usage psychology standpoint.

1 - the Blender splash screen encourages this by offering the option in the first place (Max/Maya “presets”). However these presets are fundamentally flawed because they affect both viewport navigation and tool shortcuts. Most if not all power users of other 3D software actually do not rely on the default tool shortcuts of their preferred programs ; they edit them in order to maximize their workflow and minimize hand travel on the keyboard. The only thing they really want is the viewport navigation that they have muscle memory of. So on that point, the Blender devs are to blame here :confused: I certainly hope that this will be addressed sometimes in the future.

I also happen to think that the Wiki and the documentation should not rely so heavily on the shortcuts, but rather, should go the extra mile and consistently identify tools and functions from their names in the input editor (while mentioning the default shortcut as a remark, of course). This would make things much easier for everybody - veterans and newcomers alike. Take Zbrush as an example : The UI sure is convoluted, but everything can be located in the UI. Once the user knows which tool fits a particular workflow, he/she can then decide to go ahead and create shortcuts for these specific tools and ignore the rest. And since the program relies on very few dedicated shortcuts by default, there is no risk of breaking anything. Now of course Blender is a much more in-depth program than Zbrush and therefore this is not a perfectly equivalent comparison, but you get the idea :slight_smile:

2 - Blender also has no sense of UI discoverability. In most 2D and 3D software, most tools are accessible by default with both a keyboard shortcut and a menu entry. However this is not the case with Blender, which relies on a lot of hidden menus. One cannot expect user to guess them and remember them all at once, so from there the obvious attitude is to try and recreate one’s own optimization choices, developed over years of using other software. Here too, you cannot blame new users for that.

- About search/spacebar

If I am not mistaken, this is not fully working just yet. I just checked : if you are not currently in object mode, making a spacebar search for “weld” or “merge” doesn’t bring up anything. This is a fundamental design flaw : spacebar is supposed to be a way to research the entirety of the program, yet it is a context dependent filter. The obvious solution would be to simply grey out the search results that are not accessible for the current context. This is just another example of a very basic UX rule that got ignored, probably because of design by committee. Now again, I understand why this happened (small dev team, open-source project) but we cannot honestly claim that the problem doesn’t exist. It’s a bit of a shame really, because the global spacebar-search is a fantastic tool ! Now if only keyboard shortcuts could be assigned from there, it would be truly fantastic. But that’s another topic altogether :slight_smile:

I hope this clarifies the issue !

First of all, let me rectify this. It’s not about “I wanna it be like <insert your software here>”.
If I want to have a software that behaves just like, let’s say Maya, I would most likely take Maya because nothing behaves like Maya than Maya, right?
What these discussion are all about, is getting a software that is BETTER than Maya (for example).
The idea is to collect the best ideas from the user community and combine them to the best possible software, at least that was the philosophy of open source software back in the days. That’s where the idea started, because people were fed up by companies ignoring their customers needs, most of all because of economic reasons.

The question that occurs to me immediately when I see SO many people struggling with the UI, the tools, the shortcuts,…
Does that sound like the best possible software?..when there is pretty obviously a high request for improvements?
When so many users right away want to change the softwares behavior, does that sound like the best possible software? Does that sound like the true philosophy of open source?

Have you ever used anything else than Blender?

It’s in the nature of things that some tools, some designs, some functionallities catch on and others don’t.
Blenders attempts for some things, maybe even fundamental things, don’t seem to win the race and now it’s once again the art of asking the right questions: Why are so many experienced cg artists not willing to use Blenders tools? Why do they rather “get used to them” instead of prefering them, from the bottom of their hearts? Does that sound like the best possible software?
In pro Blender videos I always hear one question: Why should you pay XY thousand dollars for a software, when you can have it for free? That question is indeed very interesting and shouldn’t be neglected. Why do professionals prefer to pay so much money, instead of going for Blender? Ask yourself that.

I call it in so far “useless” because

1. you can achieve the same things easier or just as easy with the right tools/design
  2. it unnecessarily occupies a button on the mouse.
    This 3D cursor adds no special funtionality but the burden to deal with yet another tool to keep track of its mode and all its related shortcuts.

That is hardly a reason at all. “You can” != “you should”.

The only thing they really want is the viewport navigation that they have muscle memory of. So on that point, the Blender devs are to blame here :confused: I certainly hope that this will be addressed sometimes in the future.

It’s an open-source project (hint-hint).

Take Zbrush as an example : The UI sure is convoluted, but everything can be located in the UI. Once the user knows which tool fits a particular workflow, he/she can then decide to go ahead and create shortcuts for these specific tools and ignore the rest.

Blender is the same. All the tools are there, either in a menu or on the toolshelf. Although some people prefer to not notice that for some reason (most often because in their software the menu is different or the tool is named differently, etc.)

2 - Blender also has no sense of UI discoverability. In most 2D and 3D software, most tools are accessible by default with both a keyboard shortcut and a menu entry. However this is not the case with Blender, which relies on a lot of hidden menus…

Umm… no? Which “hidden” menus are those?

- About search/spacebar

If I am not mistaken, this is not fully working just yet. I just checked : if you are not currently in object mode, making a spacebar search for “weld” or “merge” doesn’t bring up anything. This is a fundamental design flaw : spacebar is supposed to be a way to research the entirety of the program, yet it is a context dependent filter.

Why is it “supposed to be a way to research the entirety of the program”? Because it behaves like that in other software? :slight_smile: I do, however, agree: showing the grayed-out options could prove beneficial. In fact, at least with the new pie menus, it’s already moving in that direction: e.g. you can have a function in a pie menu that would be grayed out in an inappropriate context. However, I wouldn’t expect the same to magically “just happen” for spacebar menu, at least not without input or collaboration from users. As you mentioned yourself: the dev plate is quite big.

I didn’t direct that personally at you, I was just emphasizing the point.

What these discussion are all about, is getting a software that is BETTER than Maya (for example).

In what way? Or for whom? For you personally? But only you know what’s better for you, not me, not the next guy, nor the developers. Customize all you want to the extent of application’s capabilities, nobody is stopping you. But first at least try to make an effort of learning exactly how the software works. You know, to make informed decisions. Because otherwise it’s just noise a-la “I don’t care how it is, I want it to be like that!”

The question that occurs to me immediately when I see SO many people struggling with the UI, the tools, the shortcuts,…

…most of which coming from people who didn’t even try to understand the fundamentals, being stuck in their “workflows”, “best practices” and “vision”. And quite often from people who didn’t even bother to look in the manual. Granted, the manual itself is nowhere near pleasant (although fortunately being improved), but the basics are all there. People simply like to “assume” that knob or button or tool would “do it like this” and get frustrated that it actually “does it like that”.

Have you ever used anything else than Blender?

Yes I have. I have a similar question (or two) for you. Have you ever tried using different operating systems, or different software intended for basically the same task? Have you found it all behaving the same, and most importantly, how you thought it should behave?

Why are so many experienced cg artists not willing to use Blenders tools? Why do they rather “get used to them” instead of prefering them, from the bottom of their hearts?

You can’t “prefer” something which you don’t understand. You can, however, easily dismiss it, which many people, uh, prefer to do (no pun intended). There is even a word for such behavior - it’s called “ignorance”.

I should note that I am not a stubborn proponent of “the Blender way”. I too use quite a customized setup. However, customization “just for the heck of it” is a dead end. You won’t make Blender out of MAX or Maya, nor the other way around. Much like you won’t make Aero out of Unity or Notepad out of ViM. You can, however, learn the shortcomings and advantages of provided tools and improve on that knowledge.

Why do professionals prefer to pay so much money, instead of going for Blender?

Because it’s quite hard to stop the train in place.

1. you can achieve the same things easier or just as easy with the right tools/design

Oh? Which tools/design are those? “Like in Maya”? What is so “right” about them, besides the fact that you’re used to them?

1. it unnecessarily occupies a button on the mouse.

Remap it. Where’s the problem?

This 3D cursor adds no special funtionality but the burden to deal with yet another tool to keep track of its mode and all its related shortcuts.

Object creation anchor? Arbitrary pivot that can be set with one click? Useless? Alright, you’re free to ignore it, or use an addon to disable it. But something tells me next thing you’ll ask would be for 3D manipulator to be able to set the pivot.

Anyway, on topic, regarding your issue with freezes, it’s still not clear what is going on. You mentioned that pressing e.g. A key restores the normal behavior. In that case, it might be the window redraw issue. Try different window draw methods (User Preferences -> System), and maybe check that in your display drivers you don’t have any dubious overrides set. If that doesn’t help, please supply additional info.

Funny thing I disliked cursor myself when I was first trying Blender ages ago, nowdays I wonder why every 3d app does not have this. Its incredible how years of using 3d studio max have created a real bad workflow with 3d graphics for me. When you are used to do something for year and someone comes around telling you doing it inefficiently that is pretty hard to swallow especially if you have been producing quite good results with your old method for years if not decades.

But then this a real old motif, old painters and animators and visual effect people had hard time getting to new technology when 3d and digital 2d started to become popular and those were top quality professionals with decades of experience in top studios. Goes to show that efficiency and experience definitely dont walk together.

Little moderation note folks… this is the support forum. It’s not the place to have an in-depth discussion on the pros and cons of various design decisions within Blender’s interface. We have plenty of other threads for that.

The main issue brought up here by the OP seems to be a glitchy issue that’s sounds pretty hardware specific. The video card you’re using is somewhat dated (release date for the GT240 was in 2009), but I’ve not come across that kind of strangeness with that series of cards before. I do seem to recall a performance issue that dates around that time that relates to the vsync setting on the nvidia driver. Perhaps try going through your driver settings and toggling that setting (on my card, which is admittedly more recent, I have Sync to VBlank enabled… but on the older card you may have to disable that).

The other thing you can try is in User Preferences > System. For a card as old as yours, you may want to disable VBOs, text anti-aliasing, and multi-sampling. You may also want to toy with the Window Draw Method drop-down. The Automatic setting usually picks the best choice, but on older cards it may not. Try one of the Overlaps. Worst-case, you can try the Full method. It will hurt performance, but if that prevents freezing and glitching, then that’s a pretty good way of identifying your video card as being the problem.

Thread Creator Say this :

I can’t navigate anymore in the 3D viewport, shortcuts don’t word anymore, stuff like that.
Is that a common problem in Blender? Well my problem is not setting up conflict free shortcuts, the problems is Blender acts wierd when I use anything different than the default.

I already had a very nice navigation behavior set up but after a few seconds the 3D viewport starts to freeze randomly while I navigate. Also after a few seconds standard shortcuts like ctrl+z don’t work anymore.

i really dont know why you stated freeze it make confusion to other people maybe what you mean is that navigation in 3D space like ( panning rotating zooming doesnt work )

i think the problem here is the way Shortcut key behave in Blender not his System …
… blender has a weird bug where it forgets the keys even you save .

it Occurs
when you make Custom Preset ( + Sign )… or even use the default Maya Preset / Max Preset
then add few modification to it … after you made changes … save … then restart blender
The Key you add or modify sometimes doesnt function

and even the Active Input Preset is Maya or any custom made Preset … The default shortcut of Blender will be Active or overlapped … its hard to explain but i got a feeling that its like 2 Preset is Active …

thats why a temporary solution to this if you’re really want to setup your own workflow in blender

Directly Modify the default Blender Preset from start and turn it to Maya or your own workflow
Do Not use The Maya/Max Preset or touch the +

create it From Scratch by using Blender Preset

Also You Said this :

After a few tries I figured out that everytime I use anything else than factory settings it starts to act wierd. I can’t navigate anymore in the 3D viewport, shortcuts don’t word anymore, stuff like that.
Is that a common problem in Blender?

Yes … ive Also Experience this
maybe because were the same i completely modify or slaughtered the input editor

ive created new presets each time i add changes
for backup purposes or experimental

just incase it messed up the blender well you know issue like sometime it doesnt function because of double hotkey in place

but i notice that the more i created new presets +
the more bugs comes in and it forgots the previous hotkey changes… or sometimes it magically disappear

now to fix this
delete these 2 Files

Delete AppData > Roaming > Blender Foundation
Delete Programfiles > Blender Foundation

install Blender again

then remap your keys Using Blender Preset
I repeat do not use + Sign … or Max/Maya Preset
create it From Scratch by modifying Blender Preset and turn it to your own workflow

now the bug will disappear … i can confirm this right now … no more malfunctioned keys or blender forgets or revert back the keys

but be warned that if you download a New Build Bot or New Version of blender and Use it
you will create the hotkey from scratch again …

My mistake. Has anyone reported this to the bug tracker?

https://developer.blender.org/T42485

sorry I couldn’t resist :RocknRoll:

I now reinstalled Blender and played a bit the window draw method and so far my viewport hasn’t freezed again. Because I tried both ways together I can’t tell what was the actual problem.

[QUOTE=Stan Pancakes;]
Originally Posted by veganymous http://blenderartists.org/design/baorg2012dark/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png
First of all, let me rectify this. It’s not about “I wanna it be like <insert your software here>”.

I didn’t direct that personally at you, I was just emphasizing the point.[/QUOTE]
I didn’t take that personally, my statement is rather a general one.

[QUOTE=Stan Pancakes;]What these discussion are all about, is getting a software that is BETTER than Maya (for example).

In what way? Or for whom? For you personally? But only you know what’s better for you, not me, not the next guy, nor the developers. Customize all you want to the extent of application’s capabilities, nobody is stopping you. But first at least try to make an effort of learning exactly how the software works. You know, to make informed decisions. Because otherwise it’s just noise a-la “I don’t care how it is, I want it to be like that!”[/QUOTE]
This is not about MY personal preferences as you imply and there is no need for the “effort of learning exactly how the software works”. You act as if Blender would be something super special, with so super special features that one has to explicitly learn to utilize them properly. NO! Blender is from its core technologie pretty basic, as far as I can tell. It has objects consisting of vertexes, edges and polygons, which one has to modify to get the desired 3D model. There is nothing special to learn how the software exactly works.
And my critic also is no noise a-la “I don’t care how it…ignorance”, it’s just ideas on improving Blender, what is so wrong with that?..and if I know a software that handles a specific task better, why not naming that software, what is so wrong with that? By the way, that software doesn’t have to Maya all the time, just so that nobody alleges me to be Maya biased. I’ve worked with a few softwares so far and other, I didn’t work with so far also had features I wished my software would have.
The ideal concept should be to through all softwares in a bowl, stir it a bit, pour away the junk and retain just the best and amplify that with new innovative ideas.

[QUOTE=Stan Pancakes;]The question that occurs to me immediately when I see SO many people struggling with the UI, the tools, the shortcuts,…

…most of which coming from people who didn’t even try to understand the fundamentals, being stuck in their “workflows”, “best practices” and “vision”. And quite often from people who didn’t even bother to look in the manual. Granted, the manual itself is nowhere near pleasant (although fortunately being improved), but the basics are all there. People simply like to “assume” that knob or button or tool would “do it like this” and get frustrated that it actually “does it like that”.[/QUOTE]
When something is well approved there is a legitimate interest to assume some knobs to behave a certain way.

[QUOTE=Stan Pancakes;]Have you ever used anything else than Blender?

Yes I have. I have a similar question (or two) for you. Have you ever tried using different operating systems, or different software intended for basically the same task? Have you found it all behaving the same, and most importantly, how you thought it should behave?[/QUOTE]
Basically yes.

[QUOTE=Stan Pancakes;]Why are so many experienced cg artists not willing to use Blenders tools? Why do they rather “get used to them” instead of prefering them, from the bottom of their hearts?

You can’t “prefer” something which you don’t understand.[/QUOTE]
When experienced cg artist don’t understand the way a cg software works, that is the time for a red alert.

[QUOTE=Stan Pancakes;]1) you can achieve the same things easier or just as easy with the right tools/design

Oh? Which tools/design are those? “Like in Maya”? What is so “right” about them, besides the fact that you’re used to them?[/QUOTE]
Once again you imply that I’m totally egoistic.
Yes, in this case it’s Maya. What I like about Mayas attempt is that it doesn’t need a special tool or menu to adjust the objects pivot. You just grab it and place as desired. In combination with the snap modes, it’s super quick and convinient. To first place a 3D cursor somewhere and then tell the pivotpoint to jump to that 3D cursor is an indirection.