Preselection build on GraphicAll - please test! R4 ObjectMode/curves/lattice/surface!

I’m really excited, I hope at least some things will be included in trunk ASAP. Visualisation of soft selection is particularly great. So far it was mistery :wink:

• Why the last element is still highlighted when mouse isn’t hovering over object anymore?
  • Show Normal on Preselected Face is not refreshed.
  • Deselecting in border mode? what? from right to left only? Why not ctrl + LMB for example?
  • To change the size of Circle Selection we can use alt + scroll whell. Why not the same in proportional editing? At the now there is no way to change the influence without doing transformation.
  • Exit to Object Mode and then set the Edit Mode. Nothing is prehighlighted (even the mouse is hovering over the object!)

Getting crashes when exiting edit mode so I updated my SVN and reapplied the patch. Still crashing. Not sure why. I made a debug version for those are a more experienced and braver then I. It’s here:

OSX Debug:
[Removed due to update]
Also OSX non-debug release:
[Removed due to update]

Soft selection visualization is good but not perfect yet, I think we need colors while we are in soft selection mode. just like weights on bones. Anyways is a very good start for a full implementation…

So, I updated and re-built a new vanilla Blender today to see if it was just my build environment that was causing the crash issues. Everything was fine. I can enter and exit edit mode without a crash. Then I updated my SVN again and reapplied the patch and built and checked again. Yep, still crashes upon exiting edit mode. So it appears that the patch is indeed the cause of the crashes.

The debug version takes me to malloc but I’m pretty sure it just that it can’t free some memory or something and not actually a problem with the actual malloc.

Line select is very useful when working with high poly mechanical and architectural models, although, a thin rectangular marquee will do the job in many cases.

I vote for alt-scroll for proportional editing.

Border select and Circle should work the same.

Proportional editing gradient is nice but needs to be on verts and edges. I might like it to disable when not transforming.

The shortest path preview is #1 improvement along with ring/loop previews and modal circle select.

Need to preview proportional selection in circle select mode.

When selecting a loop we go from preview(red) to select colour(orange) then quickly to green - I know that logically this is correct but it feels like a warning or something.

Win 7 64 bit - after subdividing up to 128,000 faces = extreme performance lag on prportional edit.

Really cool to have preview of random falloff.

I’m thinking that the proportional edit preview is not something that I would want all the time. Might be good to just be able to activate it for a moment by holding a key - something quick just to flash it. Maybe even of all preselection. The whole thing seems a bit noisy and could add to eye strain during extended use.

Mixed feelings about having loop select available during circle select as I’m leaning on the Alt key and the two different previews are fighting.

sorry it took me time to reply, now these suggestions by ME from the 1st version of the patch (i don’t if somebody already mentioned them):
-remove the overlap automatically when the cursor is out of the mesh.
-maybe change the default color of the overlay from black to something more easily read, in case of the vertex reselection it is very hard to see, also when the vertex is selected it is not good to overlay it with black which is the same as unselected.
-crash on using the subdivide options panel (only tried to increase the subdivisions).
-the proportional should change on hover not or with selection, maybe have a gradient color to emphasize intensity.

other than that to me it is VERY VERY VERY … VERY AWESOME, thanks.

circle modal + changing screen crashes
circle modal + going to another view3d in same screen / changing editor to view 3d seems ok
circle modal + ctrl+B (bevel?) crashes

I don’t think it’s good to allow all kinds of events, even if it didn’t crash. What would be so bad about stopping circle select, running other ops, start circle sel again?

None of this has to do with events. Bevel crashed with path select too. The crash was because the “highlighted elements list” wasnt cleared properly so during draw, presel tried to draw elements that werent there anymore (because of the bevel creating new faces).

It’s actually needed (header text), 'cause it shows what modifier keys exists, and what proportional size is currently being used. It’s convention in blender to do so, and i wouldn’t draw this info over 3d view something like that (or propose how this could be changed for ALL alike operations!).

Yes, but new Circle Select isnt a “conventional” operator anymore, its a constant mode, like normal selection, which also doesnt show the modifiers (like Shift adds to selection…) But indeed, the current system should be replaced. If we want to move more and more to modal operations, replacing the normal header functionality with text is not a good way of doing things; just a symptom of the “blocking” operator design. Especially when implementing tools that work in several open views instead of only the one it was launched in (a severe design restriction of many current tools), it makes more sense displaying header text for example in a dedicated header at the bottom of the screen, which after all is convention in other software.

jwilkins mentioned that he MIGHT look into replacing the current select code as part of his viewpot fx 2 project, but has not got to it (yet).

I might do some research into this when things cool down a bit.

There could be two keybindings to cycle through the possibilities (depth peeling), clicking for select would pick the last selected/highlighted, and not what regular selection code would pick as first. Not easily to find a good interaction paradigm, maybe Alt + scroll wheel?

As this kind of extension might require some work, Ill postpone till after other more direct changes. Discussion of implementation would be nice tough.

I didn’t know about it in SketchUp! It’s useful indeed, left-to-right selects only geometry if it’s fully inside rect (if only 1 vert of an edge, then won’t select), the other selects everything that is partially inside rect (1 vert of edge = edge will get selected)

What to do? Good arguments have been given to add direction control only as an option for setting up custom keybindings. Still, creating the actual “fully inside” border select code is on the todo list.

Hm dunno, if there was drag-select, we wouldn’t need line select I guess.
http://abload.de/img/fqyip.gif

On todo list too.

Talking about custom keybinding - presel build should eventually support full customization (like trunk does + improvements)

But it already does…

Cause the Boss dont like it (the preselection thing).

*** R3 IS OUT ON GRAPHICALL ***

New builds for Win64 and Linux64.

Highlights :

• Border Select direction dropped.
  • UserPrefs > Editing > Circle Select - Grow with Zoom : circle size grows/shinks witn zooming. Doesnt work in perspective mode.
  • Cmd + MouseWheel changes proportional size.
  • Separate toggle for Proportional Presel in Npanel > Mesh Display.
  • Many fixes and small adjustments.

And already todo list for R4 is growing… More remarks / bugs / discussion? This is the place to be!
But I guess Im gonna take he afternoon off, its a Sunday after all. :cool:

Hey man Thanks a million for your work :slight_smile: this is awe(wait for it)some! Guess the Boss isn’t a modeling artist but if good implemented even he must surely be seduced.

Tried r60724 Win 64 from graphicall. Sorry to say I’m getting more crashes than anything. Crash when - activating proportional edit, switching to vertex edit, hitting “A” to deselect. Also not showing face highlighting, only shows edge preview - the normal indicator works.

Unchecking proportional preview seemed to help.

cmd/mouse wheel not affecting proportional edit radius.

OK here are my findings (R3):

-Proportional editing doesn’t show preselect anymore.
-Face preselect doesn’t show up only vertex and edge.
-Crash when subdividing the default cube with Subdivide Smooth and trying to change the number of cuts.
-Crash when using border select and deleting verts.
-Overall this release is buggier than R2, at least for me.

R3:

• Proportional + hidden wire = crash
  • Circle select could be hidden while orbiting view, now it awkwardly disconnects from the cursor.
  • Circle select grow with zoom - I won’t have it on by default.
  • Alpha in theme is awesome. It looks definitely better when you drop the alpha down, to .2 for instance. If edge prehighlight could look the same as neighboring edges in vertex select mode - I guess the latter support alpha, and they are the same thickness as normal ones.
  • The edges from the back of the object (backfacing edges) look the same as the ones from the from when they are preselected, even though when they are not, the backfacing ones are paler/seem occluded. It would improve visual clarity, if the preselected ones would also appear paler/occluded.

Here is a look I propose:

The value is RGBA 0 - 0.706 - 1 - 0.2. Same for selected and not selected.

some missing feature compared to the addons and a bug

• face preselection face border outline it is there or not
  • wen proportional edit is active the occluded selection it suppose to see the mesh inside another mesh and is not active in the C version
    this is useful to tweak a mesh that have another mesh inside.
  • wen activated proportional edit and select a face loop pressing A to deselect blender crash
  • in proportional edit wen tweaking moving a selected area and undoing the operation blender crash
  • any transform operation with presel active crash blender
    here i show the difference with the addons and the C version occluded geometry i don’t know if this is the correct word.

OK Im readying a R3.1 release to combat all these bugs (seems I rushed R3 too much, but a breaking change was made in SVN, and I really dont bother testing too much).

So, these two “bugs”, its really a problem I cant help… Ill explain. I added alpha to the theme colors for presel faces and presel proportional, and because you guys seem to have a previous startup file that doesnt have settings for this alpha yet, this alpha values are set by Blender to “zero”, and thats why the presel doesnt show up. So either go into userprefs > themes and change the presel colors and/or alpha (both in 3DView and UV/Image categories) or just press the “Reset to Default Theme” button. Sorry, but theres no way I can make this work automatically…

EDIT : ok so there is a way (see 2 posts down), itll be all fixed for R3.1 soon!

See post above about this black color.

Changing prop presel on hover could be slow/unworkable on dense meshes, but would be a nice option; maybe make a toggle for it in userprefs? Who else wants this functionality?

Actually, there is a way: You need to perform a version patch for these in editors/interface/resources.c -> init_userdef_do_versions()

Since you aren’t bumping the file subversion, you can instead just check for whether the alpha value for these colours is 0.

Aha, nice one, I didnt know about that. Pity I just did all the builds and was ready to upload when I read this :spin:. Dont matter, this is too important, it could put off people from the build if they didnt read this thread, Ill just have to recompile… Lets get to it!

*** R3.1.2 bugfix release ***

OK, R3.1 was online for about an hour, but there was a mean bug in the free manipulator code plus some other things that forced me to do a small update (again).

So R3.1(.2) solves many of the bugs mentioned above. Let me know if some remain.
Also some small tweaks.

@kakachiex2 : proportional preselection works now how you want it, but you must switch Limit Visibility off.

I suppose no news is good news? :cool: