Playing around with blenderplayer for android

Thank you for the correction, I wonder which engine I was thinking of? I knew that Unity offers a range of scripting languages.

It is a shame, though it’s not the final straw. It just requires a developer to give it another consideration. My main concern would be in modifying the API (as logic bricks are somewhat limited anyway) to support multi-touch inputs.

sir where is the link? :slight_smile: im doing my college thesis. an android game. i really need the controls for the movement controllers.
hope you post it. it will be a very BIG HELP

Hi xCliff, yes just give me some hours, I’m on my way back from vacations :slight_smile:

This is looking realy promising, hopefuly some developer will pick up the project again in the future. I tried blender player on OUYA a couple months ago, it worked but the framerate was quite bad, but got abit more spare time now so might try it again, is the blender player for android source still available somewhere?
I want to build specifically for OUYA.

Would also be awesome to make the blender player auto play a backed blend file so u could just run them like apps.

What version of blender u using to make the blend files?, I keep getting a black screen on more recent versions.

Link to the blend files shown in video, and the another approach for the touch control… this is obviously a very rough method, but for my testing purposes was quite enough

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2701022/BPlayer_TestControls.rar

:slight_smile:

I’m using the current official version (2.69) have a look at the blend file so you can dissect it and see whats wrong with yours :slight_smile:

thank you so much sir :slight_smile:

sir i have 1 question. is this applicable for Gamekit?

Yes I think it is possible, or you can use the same principle to make your own with LUA :slight_smile:

ok so i didint notice anything hugely different between mine and your file but loaded yours up on OUYA and it worked, the touch pad mouse is horrible so its really hard to control but it works, also looks a bit dark but might just be my tv settings.
Tried to make it controlled with keyboard or OUYA controller with axises and then it crashes, then i realized that keyboard and controller axis’s was probably never implemented. Oh Well.

Here it is on OUYA anyway :slight_smile:

?Again Dose anyone know where the source for blender player apk is, i would like to run it by a few coder mates of mine?

Thanks

@wallmasterr: its in the gsoc 2012 branch called “Swiss Cheese”, its probably not in git so you have to download it from svn.
https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-blender/branches/soc-2012-swiss_cheese/

Thanks , grabbed it having a look now.

You are welcome.
B.t.w if you want to compile it and dont want to build all the lib’s, there are compiled libs for android in svn: https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-blender/trunk/lib/android/

Thank the GODS for this thread! Been looking for the source for more than a year!

Please keep up the good work. we need a way to export to android. Unity licence to export to androind is $1500 and thats on top of getting the full version licence. We deperatly need a way to put game s on android phones and oyua. Thanks

You should get the unity android+ios basic licence for free(change the build platform, install all andoid sdk and eclyps and stuff it it shoudl work :D), its not the pro one , but basic. Iv built stuff using it and for OUYA before and works just fine, you just get a unity splash screen at the start.

sir im having a hard time fixing the LIGHTING issue in blender player. when i run the blend file. its dark. the lamps dont work.

Have you ever tried the config I used in my test file? if not, grab it here and have a look

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2701022/BPlayer_TestControls.rar

Tried this out today with my Samsung Galaxy Nexus (GSM). I tried multiple bullet physics tests and some of the tests here and the performance is surprisingly amazing. Didn’t experience a notch of lag, nor even a jitter. That’s with a TI OMAP 1.2GHz @ 720p.
Some things don’t work too well, mainly shadows, because they take a butt ton of processing power (same as every mobile game engine) however they can easily be faked. Battery performance also wasn’t an utter hog, and it seems to multi-thread quite well.
The main thing that this needs is multi-touch.

I have a question though: How can I export a game as an apk runtime? I suppose the player needs to be kept separate from the game files because of its licensing? But I highly doubt anyone who wants to play an android game is going to willingly download the android player and a suspicious zip file with all of the source code to a game.