Parallella "supercomputer" :D

HI Guys,

Is cycles standalone a good candidate for Parallela? Have you seen this from the Adapteva website.
Open source Ray tracing demo for Parallella by Shodruky Rhyammer on YOUTUBE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHTZ3CLOlqw&list=PLHna9Dr5dIDkmeTLvOFXb7gIuPrM7-CEg.

It looks interesting, but what is exactly parallel computing?

I wouldn’t normally do this, but your question really is something you should Google:

http://bit.ly/13NoHEQ

Just typing ‘parallel computing’ in Google will give you this without even having to click a result:

Parallel computing is a form of computation in which many calculations are carried out simultaneously, operating on the principle that large problems can often be divided into smaller ones, which are then solved concurrently

I guess the Internet really isn’t real life. When someone asks me about something they don’t know, if I can answer I take my time to explain them in the way they can understand. I don’t just tell them a source. I guess it’s because I prefer questioning, and communicating, than just “Googling” it, and don’t ask anything. Google is a great search engine though :slight_smile:

I think the difference stems from the realtime nature of face to face communcation. When you are having a conversation with someone, you can ask a question and get feedback in real time. When you are on a forum, it can take hours or even days to get a response, then it makes people feel awkward answering a question that is so old. Is the person even going to check back in? Is it worth it to take the time to explain it? how much do you need to explain, and how much can you assume they already know. Without realtime feedback on your explaination, it is very difficult to communicate clearly.

So people responding to questions either copy and paste a link to an article, which they can quickly google, or they take a long time writing up an explaination that may or may not be too much or too little information. In either situation, it puts the required effort in the corner of the person answering the question.

If you want to know something, doesn’t it make sense that you should be the one to put the effort in? Especially when the information is so readily available. It’s like asking somene to walk across the room to hand you a pencil that is in easy reach for you, you know?

I thought I kind of did both by including the basic summary :slight_smile:

maybe this is a stupid question, but can I use it now as a multimedia PC? :slight_smile:
Install a complete operating system (Linux or Windows) (if I understood correctly only x32 bit)?
Internet, images, videos, download videos on an external HDD, use an external CD / DVD drive or USB flash drive?
Sorry for my english :slight_smile: