parallax mapping with silhouette clipping shader node

This is the first node setup I’ve tried that didn’t give me issues. It works great, and looks really good. Bravo.

how can i bake the texture with this effect? im a beginer in blender , i know how to do it but here im stuck

You need a displacement map to achieve this effect, so whatever you bake, you need to produce a corresponding height map. I think it would be best for you to post a separate thread in the support section http://blenderartists.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?12-Game-Engine-Support-and-Discussion, since I am not really sure what you are asking, I think it would clutter this thread if we would start talking about baking.

sorry guys my english is to bad … really bad … i have use the scene blend with clipping alpha to try to make a shader editable with parallax render … i can edit this shader but when i add a new shader this new taking allways the last maps for parallax … i change de displace map and now way dont work /// can u understand me can u help me :(? thx for your work i’m trying hard to learn :slight_smile:

I think it would be best for you to post a separate thread in the support section http://blenderartists.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?12-Game-Engine-Support-and-Discussion

And read the stickies, attach a blend etc.

At last… parallax mapping in BR / BGE with a blend file available. I’ve been looking for ages, thank you!

That said, seeing the node setup makes me dizzy. So… many… nodes :frowning: But I understand if simpler isn’t possible. I’ll play around with it and see if I can find a slightly smaller way, even if I doubt.

I still wish that parallax was implemented natively in the Materials menu. I don’t get why the Blender devs never did it, not know where to bug them about it. Maybe someone else can… but until then this will be very useful.

Wow, very good work! I love the way you convert this effect to a node setup. This shows the power of the node system (if one truly understands what he´s doing. Do you think it would be possible to add self shadowing using nodes? Like e.g. here: http://developer.amd.com/wordpress/media/2012/10/Tatarchuk-POM.pdf? I know this shader is intended for realtime purposes, so the following is not really an issue, but if i render the scene via blender internal, it looks strange. Is there any way to get this on running in the internal renderer? Would be nice for some setups where high detail with fast rendering times are needed.

Edit:

Here are some more links on the self-shadowing subject: http://developer.amd.com/wordpress/media/2012/10/Green-Surface_Detail_Maps_with_Soft_Self-Shadowing(Siggraph07).pdf, http://forum.quest3d.com/index.php?topic=63520.0

Bynary: I’m seeing this node material… maybe I could understand a little… but, for the moment, I would like to ask you something:

Is possible to use the first texture in the stack (or only one) to apply the heigh map?

Let me explain…

• Using bge.texture, we can change dynamically a texture. But, for the moment, it can change only the first texture of the list. We can put a video, an image mixing, a image buffer, etc. So… if we can change the texture in the stack, and the nodes take this texture to make the parallax height… it could be a nice feature: DYNAMIC PARALLAX without using shaders (I don’t want to get into Shaders World, yet).

• I’m looking into bge.texture.ImageMix() to mix dynamically (for the moment, it is not possible, maybe buggy) two images to make “fade in” and “fade out”. In this way, we can make dynamic parallax wrinkles. Nice, isn’t it?

EDIT: bge.texture lets update only one texture. I would be fantastic to update Parallax map (Dynamic)… but, it would not for my project, because it needs dynamic Normals more than Parallax. I achieved what I was looking for here: Dynamic Wrinkles in BGE

Nice work !!!

WOW!.. ITS FCKING AWESOME!!!.. :cool:

Could you make an exmaple where objects doesn’t disappear from certain angles? It can be shiulette-less.

this need to be mainstream on 2.8

it’s built into upbge :smiley:

2.8 has no game engine to use this with. You want microdisplacement if you’re looking to do it outside of the game engine.

why would parallax be exclusive to game engine ?
Right now theres nothing in the shader editor of eevee that can rivalize with the adaptive displacement setting of cycles

Firstly this is the game engine sub forum so the node setup wont work for cycles or eevee. You could however change the input and output nodes and make it work.

However, micro displacement IS the cycles version, its available and supported, more flexible and you can still use a node based workflow, you just need to enable experimental render options and turn on adaptive with a subsurf modifier and use the displacement output plug in your node setup.

Not sure why you’d want to use a realtime hacky solution intended for games which wouldn’t support accurate lighting or pbr materials, specular etc etc in your scenes.

there’s no displacement technique for eevee comparable to a microdisplacement from cycles

and also , displacement take a lot of compute power , i dont see why a new vector node : parralax occlusion would be a bad idea , for both cycles and eevee

parralax take no extra geometry to make the texture pop out , it take excessive geometry for a displacement technique to be good looking , and for adaptive micro displacement , its not even close of real time , and it take twice as much of compute power

Eevee is still in beta, you can’t expect everything to be implemented yet. Parallax is very resource intensive too, i’ve done plenty of testing with the upbge parallax and it eats all my resources for some very simple setups. Why are you trying to save on geometry in rendered scenes, sacrificing quality for resources? Apart from for gaming or for low poly scenes(which in that case you wouldnt want the extra detail) it makes little sense to me.

But the more power to you if that’s what you want to do, the great thing is you can.

parallax is so much more performance friendly than adaptive micro displacement …

So more performance friendly that video games can run at least 5 parralax occlusion map at the same time per level and at 60 frame per second @4k

A good detailed scene with adaptive displacement take at least + 2 000 000 polys and 30s just to calculate and recalculate the geometry per single frame, it’s a nightmare … and having a good result with just regular displacement demand a high poly asset , if the mesh is too big then it’s over you need to switch to adaptive micro displacement …

There’s no question parralax occlusion when the implementation is well done like in unreal engine is killing it

Wow, well I stand corrected, if you’re getting that performance out of that node setup then that’s great. What kind of hardware are you running to achieve that?