OpenSubDiv. Can we have this please ? (video in post)

Wow, what a round trying to get an upload on graphicall (ô¿ô)
Now it’s live = Opensubdiv-Modifier_Win7.x64-76bed92

Cheers,
~Tung

Of course you post this right as I’m about to go to bed -_-

can someone post a linux build for opensubdiv-modifier?
or can people trying out the windows version post a video or screen pix.
can you model with it or is it just to speed up animation and posing?

I think it’s all internal at this point, very experimental. There are no released builds at this point.

There is a Windows build available, which is why he asked. See post #42

I can not find It . I do not know what “build array” is. I do not see it in user preference system. I do not see a modifier with the name open subdiv.

I may be wrong but isn’t it a new option inside the current subdiv modifier?

Are you sure? I tested the dragon animation with this build, and there is no opensubdiv option to be found in the prefs.

So, um, how do you turn it on?

Same here: I wasn’t able to see any hint of OpenSubDiv at all, be it a setting in the user prefs or in the list of modifiers…
Maybe it’s all hidden and only accessible via python ?

hmmmm… Your right, put on hold for the time being till I find the issue (ô¿ô)
I’m betting on it being the libs

It’s on the horizon tho :slight_smile:

Got it built, playing around, very impressive! Normal subdivision seems to be faster too? I’ll have to do some more tests. Getting 60fps with 3 million faces, jumping up another subdiv level drops me to 20, and that’s with CPU, OpenMP, and GLSL modes. I’m not sure if it’s my GPU running out of memory and falling back to CPU or what, I’ll have to ask Sergey. It’s interesting to have a situation where my viewport gets faster AFTER adding SDS modifier :wink:

EDIT: Wonky things seem to happen if you alt+tab out and then re-enter Blender. FPS drops from 60 to 9. Hopefully it can get cleared up, because if I recall this is a problem with the existing modifier as well.

EDIT 2: Seems with a rigged character it’s a different story. In standard master I get 6FPS animation in the viewport, with OSD I’m getting 2-3 FPS. Not a super heavy mesh, only 390k faces. Looks like rig evaluation is a bigger bottleneck here than subdivision is :-/ Navigation is a solid 60fps (much higher even, but Blender’s fps counter only goes to 60 for whatever reason) but as soon as I hit alt+A performance kicks the bucket.

Ugh… and careful to anyone playing around with this build, made widgets from my rig disappear without a trace.

So you made it work. How?
has this something to do with it “opensubdiv-modifier branch is inside master to build you need to checkout the branch via…git checkout opensubdiv-modifier”?

Just check out the branch via git, update your libraries via SVN (I’m on Win7 64, VS2013), and build. I’d say it’s not worth it yet though. Clearly lots of work still to be done, and it definitely will break at least armatures. The laundry list of bugs I’ve discovered so far aren’t even worth mentioning.

Ok it’s up and running = Opensubdiv-Modifier_Win7.x64-7743a56
For the time being some of the bells -n- whistles are turned off as well as No Cuda.
There needs to be msvc2008 opensubdiv libs -n- I don’t have the time at the moment. (Leaving on a much needed vacation in the morning for 3 weeks…)(also = no builds for 3 weeks :/)
So this build is with msvc2013
But, to test the waters… it’s there (ô¿ô)

Cheers,
~Tung

So sad, we will miss you!! :smiley:

I tried it but it’s full of bugs. The object disappears, lose normal properties, blender crash and so on… but it’s ok at this time… it’s just a wip but i think they will need to work hard to fix all this stuff. But when work i can see a thing , in Object Mode it’s Gorgeous, but when you enter into the Edit mode, it’s slow as without subdiv ( i don’t know why since we’re not accessing the vertices directly, just the low poly object… ). hope it can be solved before release

OpenSubDiv isn’t in the 2.71 release targets list, so it won’t hold anything up if its weirdnesses aren’t dealt with within the next couple of weeks. This is why feature development happens in branches. :slight_smile:

Have a good vacation tungerz and thanks for the Win64 builds! You are a champ!

Of couse, it was just me too much anxious to get my hands on it finished :o