OpenPatrician Game Art

I completed the third (and second last) ship for this project. It is a cog, a larger ship than the previous ones and also slower but more space. This type of ship made the bulk of the fleet capacity.

The model is available over at BlendSwap under a CC-BY-SA license.

I did another render of the port scene with updated glass material:

(full resolution 1920x1920)
1137 passes in 53:26h (yes I know I should update my hardware)

And then rendered the finished market place

(full resolution 1920x1920)

Created the first building for the next scene - a ship yard. This is a shed that may stand completely in the water or perhaps the shore.

I got around to finish the second part for the shipyard scene. This time it is a pier created in compose-able component fashion, in the hope, it can be reused by others. That’s the main reason I slapped a CC-0 license on it when posing it at BlendSwap.

Attachments

I updated the ship yard shed. Fixed the materials on the beams and built in a door into the side. So now I can use the same model from two sides for different purposes:

And here is the closeup of the the door angle:

I created some tree trunks a props and published them under CC0 over at BlendSwap.

I took the broken bucket from the Durian project and applied Cycles textures to it. I have to confess, that I based my texturing work on the BI model by Modelyna (http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/1347)

The model is available at BlendSwap.
I also created a collection of medieval blacksmith tools:

These are also available on BlendSwap with CC-0.

For all the tools, the building is now completed as well.

Of course as it is, this could be anyones house, so the next step will be to accessorize it.
[EDIT:] The model is now available at BlendSwap with a CC-BY license.

Now with a bit more tools this now looks like a blacksmith:

The anvil is a model by yazjack, the forge was done by ScoutingNinja

With this last building I could finish the ship yard scene.

Something in the scene is very big, so the scene cannot be rendered in GPU due to lack of memory. However with my new maschine the CPU rendering with 8 cores is way faster than the 1 core rendering I had to content with for the first scene :slight_smile:

I created a walkthrough of the game as it is of now:

Well done on posting your recent progress update, considering that the first post was February 2012. :slight_smile: It’s looking good.

By the way, I put this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flw0kE7UJnU in the background while watching. Adds to the ambiance. :smiley:

I just finished the update on the tavern interior, when I noticed I haven’t posted that one yet here. So here is the rendering before the rework:

What I did was reworking the textures, adding some beams and redoing some meshes.

Finished the tavern scene last night:

Environment wise I am done. I especially like the fire which got really good on the first try. The candles were a bit trickier to find the right amount of emission. They are probably too bright and too white to be realistic.

Next scene is the interior of the city hall:

On the top there is the meeting room. Below there is the Alderman office and the treasury.

Now, here is the direct comparison of the market place in the old version:

And the new version:

As the first rendering was from the beginnings of Cycles I had to replace the light plane with a sun lamp and change the layout and camera position/angle a bit, so that the cathedral can be displayed with more than the the front portals.

One of the next scenes (blacksmith interior) also needs a character, so I created the blacksmith:

I am pretty happy with him. Especially his face turned out great. I intend to use him in an animated scene where he bangs the hammer on the anvil.

Attachments

yes the face looks good. the hair looks good, but the beard looks funny… also his body hair makes him look like half man half bear… Maybe change the thickness of the body hair?

The bear like appearance is intentional. However I tried a little variation based on your suggestion:

Attachments