Nvidia Titan X, 12 GB VRAM

Looks like yet another Nvidia card that is designed to perform at its best when the app. in question uses CUDA for GP-GPU tasks (Open CL centric apps. give the crown to AMD in various cases).

I think Nvidia may be limiting their adoption a little bit here when they expect the application to become vendor-locked to Nvidia if maximum performance is to be expected. I’m not sure if it would be the same for Cycles though since it uses CUDA (despite it being designed to easily allow for AMD support once the company gets the drivers working).

Plus, I can see it being half the price it is now a year or so down the road, right now it would cost as much as my PC did when I bought it.

I Think Titan X will be get fast lower price due to the Fitji XT or the 390X 20% or 30% cheaper than Nvidia. If you look at the leaked bench on the web 390X beat the Titan X

Hi, first bench on sweclockers, nice:

Cheers, mib

ah some beat me to post swecs blender test

why the heck does it, or any card require 24 gigs of systems ram minimum with 48 gigs recommended?

to be honest tho i am surprised by the 999 starting price. thought it would be higher.

http://www.geforce.com/geforce-gtx-titan-x/buy-gpu

I believe I’ve read that it’s possible to upgrade my PC from its current 16 gigs of RAM to 32, but just what is this card doing that requires so much RAM?

The only pre-built machines with 48 gigs or more are those ultra high-end machines from Maingear and others which can be over 5000 USD at minimum, so the reality is that this is an incredibly expensive card if you factor in what you need to get simply to use it (and use it well at that).

Actually, the Titan X sits on top of every OpenCL benchmark besides Sony Vegas and Luxmark 3. It also sits on top of Luxmark 2, which isn’t shown.
That’s not necessarily an OpenCL problem, some code just runs better on one architecture than the other. I assume NVIDIA didn’t optimize their drivers for Luxmark 3 yet, which is also to my knowledge written by an AMD user.

Hi, Octane, for example, need a lot of RAM to voxelize a mesh and load it in VRAM.
IIRC it is 2x VRAM you need.
A few days ago I try to open a 1 GB .obj file in Octane and it was impossible on my 8 GB system without swapping on harddisk.
I stop this after 1 hour.
You can work with a 8 GB system and Titan X but never fill it´s 12 GB VRAM.
Maybe Cycles is better with it?

Cheers, mib
P.S. Sorry acermartin. :eyebrowlift:

Ok, it’s hitting the shelfs next week, I have planned for a gfx upgrade and I can’t wait for pascal for another year. So here we go.
Sooooo glad the price stayed at $999 because the dollar has been strong lately compared to my currency SEK so… over here we’re seeing additional $110 compared to the two previous Titans price.

** happy about a graphic card that costs almost as much as a new computer :stuck_out_tongue: it’s a bit weird. **

48GB is just a safe bet, some applications might use pinned memory (for performance) indiscriminately and NVIDIA doesn’t want to get blamed for those fails.

Exaggerations!

This card is for enthusiasts and enthusiasts tend to build their own PCs (or pay a premium for their lack of patience and/or basic craftsmanship).

48GB of DDR4 can be had for 600$, a CPU to run it starts at 400$, a suitable motherboard is around 200$, a tastelessly designed case with tons of fans and LEDs is 100$ or less. Not incredibly expensive, at all.

If you prefer being ripped-off by a custom builder, Origin PC will get you a Titan X, a 5930K and 64gigs of RAM inside an ugly red case for only around 4200$ - which any self-respecting PC gamer should be able invest blindly.

I am totally disappointed… only 12% superior then a 780ti for double price? Even if the consumption is lower…

Is it possible that this is due to Cycles not being optimized for that new GPU?

True! And i forgot to say that there is 12gb Vram compare to the 780TI

yeah it’s the 12GB that is most interesting to me. I’m still using a 480… I’m reasonably happy with it, but it won’t last forever…

Dunno if someone posted this here yet

http://render.otoy.com/octanebench/results.php?sort_by=avg&singleGPU=1

Titan X performance in Octane, should be pretty similar to Cycles.
Not that giant leap but still good.

I have booked a card at a store but it will take a week for them to get it.

reading up on Pascal and it’s 3d stacked vram, we’re talking cards with upwards of 32GB of vram in the coming two years. or the possibility of that.

and it seems it will be an architecture focused on computing again, maxwell was a bit game oriented.

I will have the Quadro M6000 today to make a review on it, I will test on octane and cycles.

Looks like Octane scales really well!

Kewl! I got to test a year ago or so, the K5000 at my previous work, it under performed in Cycles CUDA.

This sounds more like one of those small cases of it being a user/system caused issue and not a Nvidia one. There will always be people who have software or hardware configurations that cause issues, not every conflict can be accounted for. Both Nvidia and AMD experience these issues. I’ve been using two GTX 460’s for about 4 years or so and I don’t crash, things work fine. And I’m sure there are hundreds of thousands of other GTX 560 users out there like you, but who aren’t crashing. The only advice I can give is to uninstall, use driver cleaner to make sure it’s all gone and do a clean install. And make sure Windows is up to date. Maybe do an “sfc /scannow” in an elevated command prompt as well.

I have bought a titan X. I could do blender benchmarking if somebody is interested. I just don’t know what file to render and what settings to use.