NOX open source

??? - no idea what you mean by this.

Whatever the case - if code is open-sourced without significant advantages over existing open-source projects.
Its not surprise that nobody wants to spend their time on it.

Its not really surprising, and kind of obvious isn’t it?

With a low barrier of entry to starting open-source projects, there are many new/dormant/low-quality projects in existence.

You could also pick 30 random Linux distro’s and compare with commercial os’s, of course this would make commercial systems look a lot better by comparison but its a silly test since anyone can make a distro fairly easily these days.

Another silly example along the same lines - the average youtube video is low quality right? Compared to TV (arguable i know), so … “TV is better then youtube” … this kind of rationalization is really not that useful.

The urgency of the issue really depends on whether or not you want your FOSS application to be used by professionals and ultimately by some larger studios.

If Blender for instance wasn’t meant to be a developed as a professional-quality 3D application and is not meant to become a serious alternative to the big budget software from Autodesk, Maxon, and The Foundry, then it should be communicated clearly that professional users should just stay with the big commercial vendors. However, initiatives like the Blender Network suggests that we do want to have more professional use of Blender and thus the development, the direction, and the quality of the tools should strive to reflect that*. This applies to all other Open Source projects as well.

• I’m not saying that there’s nothing in the Blender development scene moving in that direction already, as I know there’s already a number of developments aiming towards that area.