No, no mcdonalds does not make you fat

A soft rule of thumb when it comes to knowing what veggie and fruit matter to eat is one of every colour and three shades of green, And that is how you build your salad.

Actually fast food is known to be addictive, the combination of fat and sugar has an effect on our brains that leave us craving for more.

Everyone responds to food in different ways, social factors play a big part in what we eat, self esteem, stress, status, lifestyle, multi million dollar marketing all play a part.

One could argue that sitting at a desk and posting on forums is equally unhealthy but many are addicted to it for the same reasons as eating junk food.

Personally i’m retired, train to run ultra distances, and am vegetarian, but wouldn’t dream of judging others who are caught in a dietary trap. Addiction is a very powerful thing, the junk food industry knows this and creates a menus to make sure people keep coming back for more.

oh my…
first its about mc donald blaming
but actually about blaming steam for some of its games… then again about food o.o

about steam: it has a lot of reviews for games which can help to see if a game is good or bad.
but sometimes it may be possible that the game has no reviews at all?
but well… if so, the game has no one who played it before or even want to try playing it?

and for other stuff
people blame their school for not learning anything in it while they hadn’t done homeworks at school?

You do not learn all at once what is in the food. Bad eating habits are hard to break. Its the way we was raised. Ad to this all you see is bugger joints. McDonald’s is to blame. I remember when the hamburger tasted like hamburger. I

That’s great! Absolutely food can be an addiction and its allure can affect some more than others. Stress and depression can be major factors too, body shaming often leads to greater levels of stress or deeper depression which causes people addicted to food to consume even more.

Myself I do not place sole blame upon the fast food industry. I certainly cannot say that I agree with their practices, but as a corporation they’re just trying to survive in a very competitive dog eat dog market.

McDonald’s is in a tough spot. Given their size changing their business would likely lead to large profit losses leading to an exodus of investors and big layoffs.

McDonald’s didn’t make the game, they’re just a player. I prefer not to play myself, but everyone has their own path to choose and just because someone is not on your path doesn’t mean they are lost.

P.S. And just because someone is larger than you does not mean they need to go on a diet. People come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. I happened to notice that the squirrels in Indiana seem to be a good deal fatter than those in Ohio and I certainly don’t think it’s the fast food industry’s fault. Although a friend of mine here says he could swear he saw a squirrel eating a Big Mac from the trash once :slight_smile:

What amuses me most is the “junk food” that is found in the freezer section of a grocery store. For instance, you could pay $3.00 for a box with some wonderful verbiage about how this is “organic super-food” blah blah blah, but when you actually open the box at lunchtime, what’s actually inside? Half a cup of bean soup. Which you could have made yourself by buying a bag of beans (with flavorings) for about 80 cents, splurge and buy an onion to go with it. Soak the beans overnight, cook 'em with the onion and spices, and you now have what would be about $30.00 worth of word-covered boxes.

Likewise, the “pasta meal kit,” $4.50, which consists of a bag of pasta and a four-ounce jar of pesto. You’re not supposed to notice the nearby bags of pasta and even jars of pesto. (Or that, with olive oil and a few tasty veggies and spices, you can make fresh pesto sauce in about three minutes.)

I know that “busy, successful young people” like to shop at Whole Foods, which is largely a restaurant these days, but you’re getting ripped off if you merely “go for convenience.” I will buy flash-frozen vegetables, but otherwise I mostly circumnavigate a grocery store: produce, meats, milk and eggs, done. I don’t criss-cross up and down every aisle. And my favorite market is a tiny, un-pretentious local neighborhood store who has a fantastic meat-buyer on staff, and who sources from local farms. (Yes, there’s the concept of “it’s available here only when it’s in season.”)

I haven’t touched a soft-drink can in twenty years, and today I weigh thirty-five pounds less than I once did. I didn’t notice the weight gradually going off. I just started eating better and having fun with preparing good food. If I’m at a work site and take my lunch, I’m the one who froze it.

Heh, I don’t even like microwaved food. Except for Hot Pockets, but I am a sucker for cheese and pepperoni. Although on the rare occasion I have a package of Hot Pockets I cook’em in the oven, soo much better in my opinion.

Recently I took a bite out of a pop-tart for the first time (since my father bought a package), I really don’t get why people like them so much.

In my opinion they just don’t seem fresh (even the flavors like cookies-n-cream), I took a few more bites and never tried them again (they pale in comparison to the real thing).

In the US, 80% of food items has added sugar because it increases consumption. If you think that self control is the answer to obesity, you don’t have a clue. Sugar is one of the more addictive substances that we produce. It has been shown to be more habit forming than cocaine. The reason has to do with human metabolism and the balance on microorganisms in the intestines. People crave sugar because one of their bodys’ systems is starving.

No, it’s not just McDonalds. It’s the food production paradigm in general. The added sugar is to hook you on it… like a narcotic.

Don’t forget high fructose corn syrup which is pretty big here in the states due to the domestic corn industry. Look it up, sounds like crappy stuff to me.

I’ve had plenty of sugary food and I’m not obese, the truth is a large chunk of the US population also get very little exercise (if they get it at all). Any ‘addiction’ is not something that literally cannot be overcome and/or controlled.

Also to note, sugar again is not man-made, but is harvested from sugarcane. There is also the natural sugars that you get everyday from some types of fruit (because the fruit itself produces it).

Obesity is a hormone disorder, real illness is addiction, lack of self control, hyper activity & consequently greed.
Fat is a word discriminating ppl based on looks.

Refined sugar can be dangerous and policy in the US flirts with that to the point that it has become dangerous. If want to believe that lack of exercise is the reason for obesity over the collective wisdom of healthcare professionals, then go ahead. Talking to you is like pulling teeth on a good day. Opium isn’t man made either.

The tragedy of society today. Anything negative that happens to me is never my fault and I have no blame within it, it’s always someone else or some other entity that is to blame and I’m Mr. perfect.

If you really think that getting rid of sugar means that obesity magically goes away (even for people who decide they never again need to exercise), you’re fooling yourself. We need to get rid of the mentality that it’s never the person himself who is contributing to his situation.

The best & the greatest game ever :smiley:

Yeah sue Ace, everybody knows that free will is fact and blame and punishment is the only thing that ever work. That’s why the prisons have never been more full and our country is the most unhealthy developed country on the planet. You can wish all you want but the evidence speaks for itself. Everything that you do is nothing more than a reaction or response to environmental stimuli. No amount ignorant rhetoric will change that.

Maybe you would want to blame the ‘evil’ corporations for producing the food that contains sugar (and causing the bellies of skinny people to suddenly balloon in size)?

Hmmm, it can’t be that simple, perhaps the blame falls on the people of Brazil for choosing to grow and harvest the plant that gives us the ingredient in the first place, but that might be seen as racist so we must fall back to conclusion A.

There’s your problem, you don’t believe free will exists and as such it’s really the existence of objects that cause all of the issues in the world today (so in a sense the concept of ‘magic bullet’ solutions is undeniable fact).

In this case, I don’t know if it would be even possible for us to find agreement, you seem to have your brain set to ‘auto-dismiss’ whenever I post anyway.

Auto dismiss is what you are doing based on the way you “feel” about the way you personally interact with the world. All of the evidence suggests that it is wrong. You believe in free will against all available evidence. That is what’s wrong with you.

I don’t try to claim I’m perfect, however, I can see one possible issue bubbling up in the posts of those who believe that free will does not exist.

That being that since you are nothing more than the sum of environmental stimuli, you consciously make the decision to allow your primal instincts dictate how you respond (since there’s no use in trying to deviate from such instinctual behavior). This can lead to constant passive-aggressive behavior against people who are not in lockstep with your thinking (since human instinct has a natural tendency to look down on those who think and believe differently).

What I believe, is that we are not to limit the development of our character to what is in the bound of instincts, but to go above and beyond.

Anyway, going outside the topic here, but you made the decision to make it an important component of the subject.

How can you do that if you don’t believe that instinct exists? If you won’t gaze into your Jungian shadow, you can’t see what you are doing and why. We build systems that influence us in unfavorable ways and expect ourselves to be on our best behavior when our biological needs aren’t being met. How about the old adage of the man stealing a loaf of bread? Is he a thief or just a starving human? Why is this man not taken care of? Because we believe rather than think.