New Appleseed release.

Thanks for picking up this Joel.

I wouldn’t say the original code is mine. I just used parts of Blenderseed, written by Franz
and copied / adapted some fragments from the render pov and render 3delight addons.
So, I don’t deserve much credit for it.

I made sure the python bindings worked with python3 when I wrote them, to be able to use them in Blender.
In theory, with them, it should be possible to have first class integration with Blender, with progressive viewport rendering Like Cycles.

That was my plan, but I got busy with other stuff and I couldn’t work much on it.
I have some free time now, so I might be able to help a bit.

Est.

that’d be… yeah… would be… would… oh man!

Can someone post rendertimes how it compares to cycles? Is slower, faster? How much? It has GPU or is only CPU?

Awesome, that’s good to hear! Yeah, I’ve been copy/pasting bits and pieces from various scripts as well. I may have made a mess of it, and as you’ve probably seen, my code is a lot sloppier than yours :wink: Thanks for forking it.

I should probably thank Franz also for the code then, I didn’t realize he had worked on it too.

Only CPU. Probably a little slower in my experience, but I like the BSDFs better, and it has very convincing physical sun/sky models.

I’ve been playing with Mitsuba and found that SSS renders faster than cycles with CPU. Partly the reason why I decided to play with it in the first place. However I’m yet to create a convincing hair shader… :frowning:

LOL! Sorry folks, wrong thread…

Sorry can I assume this should be installed via the addon panel “install from file” or dropped into the addons folder? It doesn’t show up for me on 2.67b, Linux 64bit. Any ideas?

Defiantly following this thread keen on having a good exporter of materials etc for Appleseed awesome work everyone.

Just drop the script into the addons folder. It doesn’t show up in user preferences? That’s odd. Any errors in the console?

ohsnapitsjoel
Im getting some errors,
"fake_module: addon missing ‘bl_info’ gives bad performance!: ‘/home/XXXX/blender/2.67/scripts/addons/render_appleseed.py’

Some time ago I googled for other renderers then Cycles and Luxrender. Never saw Appleseed mentioned in any Google search.

Playing with Appleseed (a glass material). I like to know how to get nice caustics.

I got nice caustics for the interactive renderer, like Luxrender!
But the glass object disappears.

But I dont get glass-caustics for the final rendering.

I think nice caustics might be possible (together with the glass object which creates them), but I cannot figure out how to get it done.

Appleseed has an “adaptive sampler”?
Its fun playing with render quality option, Appleseed decides itself how many samples it uses to match desired quality. :slight_smile:
Adaptive sampling, I love it.

Hi I managed to install it as an addon and told it were to find apple seed etc chose appleseed as the render option ,all the render layer options vanished ( is this normal ?)also I could not render a image out have I missed a step somewhere ?

Cheers for any help

PS: Im using the blender release from blender.org 2.67b

Hi Jonathan,

I dont think Appleseed interface for blender is marture.
Better, dont use the interface. You can use “Blender Internal” render mode and export your scene with the appleseed exporter. Then, you can play with Appleseeds studio. (If I am wrong, please say.)

Yes, at the moment that’s normal. I haven’t sorted out how to use render layers in Appleseed, so I can’t get them working together with Blender, so that panel would have no use to the exporter. I can go ahead and re-enable drawing of those panels, but it would be kind of pointless for the exporter.

I noticed an issue with where it’s saving renders, I need to figure that out but I have a crazy week ahead of me so I won’t have time to get around to fixing this til after the first of July. :frowning: My apologies.

By the way, a couple things:
-if you’re rendering with appleseed.cli, you may actually have to change the settings to enable image autosave by default. That can’t be done with the exporter, that has to be done by hand in the “appleseed.cli” xml file in /appleseed/settings. I may need to double check that this is actually necessary… either way, ‘autosave’ is disabled by default in .cli.
-appleseed.studio alpha-18 and under doesn’t support launching from the command line with an input file (ie, we can export everything and open appleseed.studio automatically, but then you have to open the scene file from the UI). This option was actually just implemented and apparently should be available in the next release.

@slipknot66 - That’s weird, it’s not missing the bl_info dictionary. Hmm, I’m not getting this error on Windows 7 64-bit; you’re on Linux? Another issue on Linux, I’m curious why that might be. I’ll have to try enabling it on my Linux machine… Did you copy/paste the text from bitbucket?

@Siebeneicher - About caustics, you’re getting caustics with interactive mode, but not with final rendering? You may have to check your settings, that you’re rendering with path tracing and with caustics enabled in final rendering mode. Sounds like you either have it turned off or are rendering with direct lighting only in final rendering.

Hi Siebeneicher

I have done a standard export I was just keen to have a go with it internally looks real good what they are trying to do.

Hi joel no need to apologize awesome what you have done so far, If I new how to code I would help out but my skill set is limited to moving verts ha ha.

Too many rendering engines, and… Unreal crush em all,with its REALTIME HQ graphics. Same goes for CryEngine3.

of course that’s why you see ILM, Pixar, etc. all shifting to Unreal for rendering nowadays -.-

I did not read Franz’s comment careful enough. Sorry, its my fault.

He wrote …

I’ve created a thread for my fork of the exporter in the ‘Released scripts and themes’ category: http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?297703-Addon-Appleseed-Render-Exporter

I don’t want to clutter up this thread with that discussion :slight_smile:

Linux users - I realized I never did account for the difference between Linux and Windows path separators, so that’s bound to cause issues. Gonna try to get to that this week.