Neon Ball version 1.0

It’s cool, so excited!!, nice graphic

simple but nice i like it, PS only the old blend DL works for me, the new one is broken…

Thanks for telling me that Hanzo, I’ve fixed it now.

Thanks for the nice comments as well.

This would make a nice demo for the bge on burster,

make a “player level designer” game that’s global dictionary is used to load the “in game level” ?

can burster save local files???

@BPR:
I’m getting a little tired of you spouting key words you’ve picked up simply so that you sound like you know what you’re talking about. An example of this is your use of the words “global dictionary.” If you go through the scripts in Neon Ball, you’ll find that … it doesn’t use the global dict at all. Ever. As far as I can see, the global dictionary is also in no way able to be used for level design, either here in Neon Ball, or in any game.
Please, before you post something to make you sound intelligent, check your facts, and check what you are saying makes sense.

I have no intention of making this web-based (eg I’m not going to use burster), and someone has made a great system for making levels. It’s called Blender. More complex level handling is possible, and I have done it in several other games, but I have no intention of doing so here.

If you want to do either of these, or make any edits at all, feel free to. I’m not working on this project any more, hence it is in the finished game projects forum. It’s license is the CC-BY-SA, so you can do these to it, with a few conditions.

Not sure what I’m doing wrong. I unzipped the file, went into the Distribute Version folder, and when I opened Neon Ball and pressed P, all I get in black. I tried opening the Menu Blend, I got the menu to perform, but when I clicked on Continue, I got black again.
I’m using Blender 2.70.
Did I screw up some where?
M

I meant using the global dictionary from a map design “game” and export the data to your game, ie a level editor, IE excitebike

just because you don’t understand me the first read, maybe read it again…

I add item, “ramp” at position, and Rot,

it is added as

“Ramp,(x,y,z),(Rot)” to global dictionary,

this could then be opened by the “player” blend, and add the items :expressionless:

@Molino:
Oops, you are indeed correct. I forgot an essential file. If you re-download from the same link I’ve fixed it.
I missed the settings.cfg file, which, among other things, stores the level number to start on. As a result, it didn’t load any levels.

@BPR:
Have you ever written a save/load/level system in blender? I have not seen one you have made. If you haven’t made one, (unless you are very very sure), then don’t talk about how to make one. I did understand exactly what you were saying in your earlier post.
The problem is that yes, you can write the locations and positions of objects to the global dictionary, in the way you have described. But then what? You either have to use the saveGlobalDict method, which could potentially save other, unrelated information that you don’t want saved. The main problem though would be that you have only a single possible level to create. None of the global-dict methods have file-path options, making it pretty useless for anything like level management. It is far easier to use something like configparser, the pickle module, json, or any number of other methods.

This is the end of conversations about extending Neon Ball (other than by creating other blend files and putting them in the level directory) in this thread. As I said, it is finished.

sdfgeoff wrote:
Oops, you are indeed correct. I forgot an essential file. If you re-download from the same link I’ve fixed it.
I missed the settings.cfg file, which, among other things, stores the level number to start on. As a result, it didn’t load any Levels.

It still don’t work… in the 1.01-release (downloaded today) is no settings.cfg-file either.

Luke

My main criticism is the level change system. The game looks like it crashes itself whenever you finish a level.

A few notes:
-The settings.cfg file is missing from the new one. I simply downloaded the old one and copy/pasted the settings.cfg file.
-I am not sure if this applies to everyone but when I turn on the blur option, none of the levels (including the menu after a restart) will not respond. This might be why some people get the screen that comes up but they cant do anything.
-I was also confused at first when the camera appeared to jump in and out of the ball, but found that it was because the camera was below the ground. So simply rotate the camera a bit.

After that it is a very enjoyable game! :yes:

You can also copy/paste this into a settings.cfg file that you create:

level 1
blur 0
bloom 1
music 1
effects 1