Need boolean expert for a dense geometry model

here is another idea which might work
how about using the 2D Boolean script and get one common face between the 2 objects then you can simply extrude !

but might leave some area with no faces!

happy bl

Hi eppo. Applied scale is no problem, really. What do you mean by increasing the bottom’s scale? Are the “topholes” origins still located above the bottom hexas edges? Can you send a wetransfer (or anyother) link to the blend file?

Ricky, thx for the hint. I do not know that 2D boolean script, I’m going to take a look at it.

I really need to look a it but if it doesn’t work on all faces, I’m not sure i’ll ever find the courage to make half a million missing faces by hand :wink:

Wetransfer asked for email i was going to send file to o_O… Could not get to the URL. Can try my G-disk.
No, holes are intact - i scaled just outer diameter faces a tad, just a tiny bit…
Edit: Uploading.

Then that would be great. Any solution you can use for transmitting the file will be fine for me. I can send you my email adress in private message if you wish

by the way your small file has some ob
but not certain what the original top and bottom object are
so cannot really try the 2D Boolean !

thanks

Here’s the link - http://goo.gl/t8q55j

I’m loking at it RIGHT NOW

OMG, it looks just perfect. You man are a genius! So what , you just scaled up the outer perimeter of the bottom part before performing the operation? I did not know having 2 equal sized objects could be a problem? I had not read that anywhere.

Any way, thx so much, i’m jumping in a plane to Jurmala to come and kiss you!:eyebrowlift2:

Thx also to all of you for your help. Comforts me in the idea that the Blender community has no equivalent.:RocknRoll:

From what I read I think I had a similar problem with much simpler objects… it would not union them because they did were the same size (I don’t remember the detail).

It seems to me that the boolean modifier fails in certain cases where the two objects share one face or something like that.

We’ve run out of sunny days here - do not rush right now :D.
I have not read this either… coincidence? Fake belief? Tbh i got some result without scaling but that revealed chaotic parts of outer faces, so i made it bigger to be on the safe side.
You’re welcome!

I’m already in the airport…are you sure it’s not necessary?:stuck_out_tongue:

Some aftermath findings:

• there were 4 pentagons near the center of bottom object, normals were inverted. Vertices select mode Select Non Manifold revealed these.

• there is a script called Booltron made by Ian Lloyd Dela Cruz, Nicholas Bishop, Roberto Roch, Bartosz Styperek, Piotr Adamowicz, Mikhail Rachinskiy and Paul Dremanovich; you can find it on jewelcourses.com or watch on YT, download link below.

This DOES NOT FAIL. Results can be not what you expect if there still are errors in the mesh (scaling of one object is needed, see above) but nevertheless it finishes and shows result.
In this file resulting union edge is much cleaner than using simple Boolean Union mod.

Awesome! I’ll check it ou right now. Thx again for the huge help.