Modeling Dragonfly Wing-Has to be an easier way

I was thinking at least material, a nice shiny coat of color in selected areas. Or, some image textures. Open for any ideas and suggestions. I may as well go all the way…have at least seventy solid hours invested so far.

Loren

I mean it is easy to add procedural texture or UV image it is up to you to pick one way and do it
but you decide what you like and do it I guess.

happy bl

I should…they would be in the Recycle Bins on on both laptops. LOL I wanted to clean up the folders of the previous versions. I’ll get to a point and then start saving under a different name as I feel confident that I’m proceeding well to have a fall back file to revert back to.

Loren

I’m interested in procedural texturing, BUT, not familiar with them yet. I’ll get right on that. Thanks for reminding me. See…there’s one of those tools right there. :slight_smile:

Loren

This is as close as I’ve gotten to using Image Texture.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]350730[/ATTACH]

Loren

sorry link is not working!
can you upload pic here !

happy bl

I’ll try to re-size it quick. I’ts a final render at 80%. 1.3 megs.

Loren

if you save it as JPG it should be smaller

happy bl

I sent it to my phone quick…came back as JPG…573KB

Loren

it is heavy don’t see were the wings are !
but looking nice

happy bl

LOL…soryy. No wings on the Lizard. That’s just the only texturing I’ve done…that’s the extent of my experience with UV’s. I’m still laughin …LOL

Loren

I think you could remove the mirror on bottom!
I guess in a scene it will look better

let us know if you need anything else
time for me to go and talk to you tomorrow

happy bl

Thanks for everything, greatly appreciated.

Loren

seen a nice video for a dragonfly
see at the end of video here

happy bl

Thanks Ricky… nice video and the music sounds familiar also…The Illusionist soundtrack? Incredible work on the Dragonfly.

Have been busy this week rendering the animations for the build and fly-by of the dragonfly. Learned the Dynamic Paint/Mask alternative to the Build Mod. Took just over 100 hours of render time split between two laptops.

I did find the original mesh for the wings right where I left them…the recycle bin. Restored and saved to a file for just the mesh. I’ll take a look at your last suggestion and see about posting the .blend.

Thanks again,

Loren

Still having trouble with uploading the .blend.
Maybe this did the trick…:wink:

Wings_Help_Compressed.blend (979 KB)

Yep, that did it, finally. Yeah for me.:stuck_out_tongue:

Wow. modeling each vein in a dragonflys wings? Defiantly would have gone with a flat plain and image texture. 15-20 verts per wing vs 80,000-90,000 lol!

Guess its ok if you have a high horsepower workstation PC to run blender on. Its an interesting effect. looking forward to seeing a final render.

Dave,…Yes I would like to have done that If I had known how…and still don’t. I just couldn’t find a way to do it and still have some depth to the wings. I searched the Forum, YouYube and Google for Dragonfly Wings, or insect wings in general, but came up empty for the most part. I wanted them to be somewhat realistic like the video mentioned earlier. I’m still pretty new to all of this, but, learning something new every day.

Then Ricky put me on the path that I used and hadn’t even thought of, by, using mesh lines. Though is was time consuming, I’m very happy with the results. Maybe this thread will help somebody else down the road. It sure helped me.

The modeling and build animations are complete and I’m just down to setting the materials. I’ve put a lot of time into this project and just needed to step away from it for a few days and figure out the final “look”.

As far as Horsepower goes, it’s more a less a Briggs & Straton vs. the V-8’s some of ya’ll are using. Just a couple Wally World laptops. Funny thing is, The five year old laptop, Win 7 w/ a HD error, runs faster than my 4 month old Win 8…??? Go figure. :no:

Loren