MMO Project - Looking for extra hands!

The Unreal and Cry Engines are very good engines. But they have a mid sized team working on it and improving it and they release the latest version every few years. Blender has thousands of people working on it and improving it. If you go to the Crydev pages, you don’t get much in terms of help, Epic Games is not as bad, but still, the communities behind them are smaller and less responsive. They want to see their games succeed and that’s it.

Blender is a whole different ball game, you have a community that is actively building it, improving it and making it do all these amazing things. I’ve had a couple of Private Messages explaining that projects like these hit a wall and then jump to a different engine. Blender runs python at it’s core, EVE’s MMO game is built entirely using python. So it’s possible to change and chop some things to provide our end goal. But looking around these forums, there are a lot of skilled individuals but also a lot of sceptical people about what can be done. This is what we would love to change, throw an MMO game out there and everyone here could say ‘take a look at this game to get an idea of what can be done’ and inspire others to realise that Blender is a more than sufficient alternative to the 20 percenters at Epic Games and Crytek.

We know it’s a big task, but I’m full of confidence that it can be done :slight_smile:

Same thoughts here!
I have a very ambitions project almost like yours (except I’m the only one working on it, and doubt will get to MMO status), with the same idea behind. When I started it I realized I could only do it in blender, due to the way the BGE works… In any case, after reading some more of your posts, I realize I’m a bit of under-qualified to join your team, if you’ll still accept me, I might just improve my skills. Not sure I can contribute much though! If you prefer us to chat, I’m available at google talk, same username!

Would you be able to use Skype at all? It’s what I have the entire team using :slight_smile:

I’m not trying to dishearten, merely to inform.

We use Python as a scripting layer on top of C++ (which I suspect you / your developer is aware of, but in case others read this post and misinterpret). Eve ran on top of stackless python, and had a number of optimisations (spherical physics bounds, custom physics and render backends etc). We have a large number of contributors to blender, only a handful are active (employed) developers. The BGE has around 5 developers who regularly commit. This said, we’re happy to include single-man patches whenever they’re contributed.

Good luck as always,
Angus.

I PM’d you with my Skype details

Any news on this project? That concept art looks great, I can’t wait to see those ships with Martinsh’s ocean shader. Really hope to see this succeed.

hi my name is peng. and i am really interested in this but i am just a Model Designer with uv text but my problem is that i am in medal east
and i really love to join your group som of my works